overseas student chance for apply

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

shirazuphy

overseas student chance for apply

Post by shirazuphy » Sun Feb 11, 2007 4:07 am

Hello
I am senior student in physics and my overal GPA is 2.5/4(B.S)and is very low but my Physis GRE score is 910 and I dont know realy that did I have chance to accept in US university for graduate school?? :( :!:
thanks for every one attention i realy need help and i have no idea about this?

Ghagnastiac

Post by Ghagnastiac » Sun Feb 11, 2007 4:50 am

The first thing for you to consider is your English language proficiency. Every American school has a minimum TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) requirement for foreign applicants.

Secondly, your chances depend on more than just your grades and GRE scores. However, given the uphill battle you will face as an international applicant, I think it's safe to say that your grades will keep you out of the top schools since foreign nationals with better credentials routinely get rejected from most programs.

That said, you might have a reasonable chance at some of the lower tier schools if you have excellent letters of reference and a great deal of research experience, but keep in mind that a 2.5 GPA is farily low and most American students with similar grades have a hard time getting accepted anywhere.

It might be in your best interest to get a master's degree (or at least some additional research experience) in your country of origin before wasting your money on a bunch of applications since the process can cost you over 1000 dollars just to be considered. This way, you will get a chance to get better grades and maybe even a paper before coming here to get your PhD.

Nobody will care about your 2.5 GPA if you do well in a master's program... which you should have no trouble doing with a 910 on the physics GRE.

Hope this helps

Asianbob

Post by Asianbob » Sun Feb 11, 2007 2:41 pm

Contact the departments you are interested in and ask.