Grad Cafe profiles and forums

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

InquilineKea

Grad Cafe profiles and forums

Post by InquilineKea » Sat Dec 25, 2010 7:55 pm

Does anyone know why so many people post their profiles on the grad cafe? They're completely anonymous so no one gets feedback. There are so many astronomy profiles that are posted there, and yet no one posts anything astronomy-related on those forums.

CarlBrannen

Re: Grad Cafe profiles and forums

Post by CarlBrannen » Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:20 am

InquilineKea wrote:Does anyone know why so many people post their profiles on the grad cafe? They're completely anonymous so no one gets feedback. There are so many astronomy profiles that are posted there, and yet no one posts anything astronomy-related on those forums.
The posts are useful. For example, I looked through them to see when the offers and rejections would start arriving.

I've read that some humans have a tendency to help others even when there's no way for them to be rewarded. I think the term was "altruism" or something like that. According to wikipedia, it's a core aspect of many traditional religions.

[edit]Altruism is the opposite of "selfishness". I plan on making posts there because I would like to avoid being tortured for eternity.[/edit]

InquilineKea

Post by InquilineKea » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:18 am

Okay I see. I guess I wish they would post an acceptance/rejections thread (with their stats) much like the one they have here. Does anyone know why they don't have one there?

kubikat

Post by kubikat » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:55 pm

I registered at gradcafe but I can't find any profiles. Even all the physics related discussion I came across was at least a year old. Can someone put a link here? (I'm sorry beforehand, but I looked everywhere)

axiomofchoice

Post by axiomofchoice » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:23 am

kubikat wrote:I registered at gradcafe but I can't find any profiles. Even all the physics related discussion I came across was at least a year old. Can someone put a link here? (I'm sorry beforehand, but I looked everywhere)
http://thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php?q=physics

People occasionally post their stats (or some very funny stuff) in comments. Not sure those are the "profiles" you guys are talking about.

kubikat

Post by kubikat » Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:05 am

That's what I was looking for! Thanks!