FALL 2008 acceptances

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

VT

Re: FALL 2008 acceptances

Post by VT » Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:15 pm

congrats dlenmn.

I am getting really pissed at UCSD. I have sent two polite emails to the admissions lady, but she does not give a *** to my emails at all. What the heck? I did not apply there for free. I paid $80 for the application fee and they do not even care replying two words to our email. Michigan was at least good in this regard. Kimberly(from Michigan) would atleast drop me two words and let me know what was going on with my application whenever I asked her.
I want to sue UCSD, seriously.

dlenmn

Post by dlenmn » Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:29 pm

@ VT

Congrats with Brown.

Yeah, you make a good point about the admissions fee. If this were a business instead of academia, we'd be getting better service for our money. As it is right now, the service sucks. I give props to cornell though. Even though they rejected me, the responded promptly to my email...

Maybe try calling the fools. It's harder to ignore someone on the line (although, perhaps not that much harder).
Last edited by dlenmn on Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

doom

Post by doom » Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:30 pm

Got into Washington! That's a nice way to bounce back from the Michigan rejection, especially since UW was probably the highest-ranked program that I applied to.

I know their visit weekend is next week, and my letter didn't contain any reference to it. They mention that I can learn about their department and Seattle from their website. Does that mean I have to make a decision without a campus visit? I guess I could schedule my own visit, but if they're not paying for travel, that would put a serious cramp on my chances of getting out there.

VT

Post by VT » Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:36 pm

wow doom, good luck with the visit. I think you can just write them and arrange for the visit. If they accept you, they ought to pay you for the visit also.

VT

Post by VT » Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:59 pm

Hey dlenmn,
have you ever tried visiting Prof Mark's home page ( he is an exp CM) from UW-Madison? I do not understnad why his page does not show up properly. I emailed this Prof. but have not heard a word from him, does not give a good impresion of him on me.

dlenmn

Post by dlenmn » Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:05 pm

It's working ok for me (I know I've looked at it in the past too). I'm more disappointed with McDermott's website... it's kind of out of date.

VT

Post by VT » Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:55 pm

do you get to those links on his page? Actually, my problem was with the links he has on his page.

dlenmn

Post by dlenmn » Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:06 pm

What links on whose page? I'm not having any trouble with any links on Eriksson's page.

VT

Post by VT » Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:21 pm

hahaha, sorry dlenmn, I was not talking about Erickson's page. I was talking about Mark Rzchowski's page.
sorry about the confusion.

dlenmn

Post by dlenmn » Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:16 pm

Lol! Yeah, I see what you mean about the links... makes the site kind of, uh, useless.

VT

Post by VT » Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:21 am

I am pretty undecided about CM experiment and theory right now. I do not have any experience in experiments and I do not know what skills we need to have in order to join an experimental CM group. I am interested in the the area of nanoscience, or spin dynamics. Do any of you guys know what skills I am expected to have if I want to join the experimental group? What type equiments do you( CM exp) all have experience working with? Is it too late for me to get back to experiemnt now or I can still do experiments? I would really appreciate any input. I know this forum has some great students in CM exp( grae313, geomar, butsu..., quizivex, dlenmn and others).

I should have thought about switiching to experiment when I applied to grad school, but since that opportunity is gone and now I at least have one decent place to go, I am thinking of switching to experiment. I am not much of a programming lover, but I will do that too, if I have to. I have a gut feeling that it is much easier to get a job in industry or find a postdoctoral or research position as a CM exp than a CMT. I may be wrong, but I just want to do be on a safe side. Any thoughts will be appreciated. Thanks.

butsurigakusha

Post by butsurigakusha » Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:48 am

I don't think you should have too much problem switching to experiment. Even with my experience, I am sure I will have a lot to learn when I join a new group, as they will likely use different equipment and and a have a different focus. I think it is not so much the knowledge you bring that is important, but the but the ability to learn.

dlenmn

Post by dlenmn » Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:53 am

VT wrote:Do any of you guys know what skills I am expected to have if I want to join the experimental group? What type equiments do you( CM exp) all have experience working with?
Oooh, an opportunity to talk about myself....

With that in mind, I'm going to give a long answer by talking about some examples. I'm not sure if that's what you want, but maybe it'll be useful. If you want a short answer, see the bold bit -- I'm with butsurigakusha.

There are a ton of skills related to experiment, and even more little tricks to pick up -- a lot of it depends on what research you're doing. For example take vacuum systems -- almost any lab has some. What is there to know? different types of pumps and what they're good for (scroll, oil, diffusion, cryo, ion, turbo, etc.). What type of fittings (conflat, o-ring, etc.), how to check for leaks (spray acetone and look for pressure spikes, and more fancy techniques using helium). How to bake a system out. How to measure pressure (thermocouple gauge, hot ion gauge, cold ion gauge). The list goes on. It's not really so bad to pick up, it just takes a while. I've been in physics labs since HS, but you only really have to know the equipment in your lab (assuming that your lab is already established). Picking up the tidbits isn't so bad.

A more relevant example to help answer your question. I switched groups at the start of the year (my old group disintegrated after I spent a long time with it -- a good way not to publish anything!) and I had to learn about a new set of tools. The lab makes single electron transistors to work with quantum dots. We make tiny patterns on semiconductors using an electron microscope. The process is fairly involved. I've been working with them since September (altough it only got serious in December) and I recently got to the point where I can do almost everything on my own. I came in knowing very little about any of the tools we use (except I had used electron microscopes before). In short, it'll take some time for you to learn the steps, but it's not going to take forever. You're not expected to know these things going in, although it is a plus. (When I spoke with McDermott from wisc, he seemed to be excited that I knew this stuff, because he's doing similar things and he's new, so perhaps his lab isn't fully constructed/established).

The real thing you have to learn is patience. The *** electron microscope has been on the fritz for weeks, and I've been unable to make any progress. First they had to replace the filament, then the stage was busted, now the computer's special video card is crapping out and just today the right sized aperture cracked so I had to use one which lets through two much current and screwed up my pattern. I've wasted hours through the process trying to make my pattern only to find something out of my controll had gone wrong. Such is research :) This is the extreme, not the norm. Hopefully it'll be fixed soon.
VT wrote:I have a gut feeling that it is much easier to get a job in industry or find a postdoctoral or research position as a CM exp than a CMT. I may be wrong, but I just want to do be on a safe side. Any thoughts will be appreciated. Thanks.
I'm pretty sure that you're right. As a nobel prize winner in CMT said:

"The days of being paid to think about physics are going away... I decided that I wanted to discover something really new. And I did. If your goal is to discover something, maybe the risks of theory are worth it. But if you just want to be a solid member of the academy with a good position, experiment is a much easier way to that."

From an piece with advice to applying to grad school (much of it Swarthmore specific) but with some interesting tidbits (e.g. MIT GRE thresholding).
Last edited by dlenmn on Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

butsurigakusha

Post by butsurigakusha » Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:11 am

Yes, definitely learn patience. Be prepared for a lot of frustration when the equipment doesn't work properly. In some ways, being an experimementalist is more like being an engineer. You spend a lot of time tinkering with things to get them to work, and you'll probably have to design and machine your own equipment sometimes. A good experimentalist has to be creative and resourceful.

grae313

Post by grae313 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:18 am

dlenmn wrote: There are a ton of skills related to experiment, and even more little tricks to pick up -- a lot of it depends on what research you're doing. For example take vacuum systems -- almost any lab has some.
Yep, I work with them almost every day.
dlenmn wrote: The real thing you have to learn is patience. The *** electron microscope has been on the fritz for weeks, and I've been unable to make any progress.

Yours too? It must be contagious...

VT wrote:I have a gut feeling that it is much easier to get a job in industry or find a postdoctoral or research position as a CM exp than a CMT. I may be wrong, but I just want to do be on a safe side. Any thoughts will be appreciated. Thanks.
Yep.

dlenmn

Post by dlenmn » Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:21 am

butsurigakusha wrote:You spend a lot of time tinkering with things to get them to work, and you'll probably have to design and machine your own equipment sometimes. A good experimentalist has to be creative and resourceful.
This is an excellent point. In fact, it's really what I like about experimental physics. It might sound like engineering, but I think it's better. If you're an engineer, you probably go work for some large corporation, and even if you did all sorts of neat projects as an undergrad, you probably sit in front of a computer and use some CAD program all day long. In experimental physics, you get unique problems (since your research has presumably never been done before) and get to design and make one off solutions. You don't have to worry about how some dumb consumer will use it, or if it's easy to make on an assembly line, and you don't have to worry about minimizing cost to get the greatest return to some shareholder. Hell, judging from many physics labs I've seen, you don't even have to worry if there are cables running all over the place to trip over. It just has to work. Oh yeah, the physics is cool too :)

VT

Post by VT » Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:30 am

Thank you all for your input. :)

christopher3.14

Post by christopher3.14 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:38 am

If you're an engineer, you probably go work for some large corporation, and even if you did all sorts of neat projects as an undergrad, you probably sit in front of a computer and use some CAD program all day long.

So true. All of my undergrad friends that went on to do engineering -- sure, they're making nice money now but they are bored as hell. I mean, all those years of school and hard work...to figure out how to re-wire private jets to play ps3s (not kidding).

The funny thing is they know this, at least the ones I know do. To them the real goal is to start their own company.

hpharty

Post by hpharty » Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:26 pm

NYU - 2/27/08 by e-mail

Nice. :mrgreen:

Also, let me say, as a guy who tried to go out and get a job with his bachelors degree and no programming/engineering background to speak of.... you are all doing the right thing by going back to school. Work is hella-lame. On the upside, calling manufacturers and interacting with co-workers has helped me become much less introverted. I image the same can be said about many engineers/programmers, as the rest of you have mentioned. Just a random thought for your Friday lunch hour.

christopher3.14

Post by christopher3.14 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:11 pm

Finally got the email from Columbia! Accepted!

Oh man I am so damn excited. Such a great thing to see after I just wake up and move my car before the street sweepers come.

marten

Post by marten » Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:43 pm

First, congratulations christopher 3.14!

hpharty, I'll agree mostly, as an engineer with 1, (going on 2) years of professional experience, I can say that I've learned some useful skills such as working with management, self discipline, interacting with people, and getting things done in the real world. It was sort of nice to have a simple 9-5 life for a bit, with virtually no stress, but I'm definitely eager to get back to some real challenges. (and accompanying stress I anticipate...)

Got into Catholic U of A today, funding isn't secured, but going to Lehigh looks very appealing, time to do some serious visiting/research/decision making.

Marten
hpharty wrote:NYU - 2/27/08 by e-mail

Nice. :mrgreen:

Also, let me say, as a guy who tried to go out and get a job with his bachelors degree and no programming/engineering background to speak of.... you are all doing the right thing by going back to school. Work is hella-lame. On the upside, calling manufacturers and interacting with co-workers has helped me become much less introverted. I image the same can be said about many engineers/programmers, as the rest of you have mentioned. Just a random thought for your Friday lunch hour.

nvanmeter

Post by nvanmeter » Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:15 pm

anybody get into stanford physics?

kwxl

Post by kwxl » Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:39 pm

Yea, I got in to Stanford physics today!!!

With a great stipend.

sooooooooo happyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!

aanaa

Post by aanaa » Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:41 pm

just now, STANFORD physics! wohoo!

VT

Post by VT » Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:53 pm

Okay, to all those people waiting desperately to hear from UCSD, I have a good news for all you guys and girls. I got this email from Hilari Ford from UCSD:

"Preliminary offers have been made. Second and third round offers are still in review."

grae313

Post by grae313 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:55 pm

kwxl wrote:Yea, I got in to Stanford physics today!!!

With a great stipend.

sooooooooo happyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!
Dammit, I knew I should have applied to physics instead of applied physics! Stanford applied physics offered me the shittiest stipend BY FAR of any of my schools except for UW and UC Santa Cruz. Oh well, their nanoelectronics/NEMS research kind of sucks anyways. :P

What was your stanford physics offer? applied physics offered me a RA worth <21k

gcensr

Post by gcensr » Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:11 pm

Accepted to Stanford as well - congrats to everyone else who did too!

zxcv

Post by zxcv » Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:57 pm

Bad news: I got my first rejection. So much for Stanford.

Good news: I got into Berkeley, with support of at least 27k for the first year!

And I just arrived at Davis for their open house. Oh well!

VT

Post by VT » Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:59 pm

congrats zxcv!

dlenmn

Post by dlenmn » Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:03 pm

Congrats to zxcv and the Stanford folks!

kwxl

Post by kwxl » Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:44 pm

My stipend from Stanford was for a 1/4 RA and a 1/4 TA for the academic year and an RA for the summer. It totaled 31K. This was for a 'typical' student last year, and not a specific package for me, I believe. It also states that the rates for this year will be higher, so maybe an estimate of 32K for 12 months this year is accurate. I still have the NSF and NDSEG out, so I hope that for as well.

That is as high as any offer I have seen thus far. I will be very interested in seeing my specific offer when they get around to it!

DigitallyCrazy

Post by DigitallyCrazy » Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:53 pm

ACCEPTED TO STANFORD!!!!! ::football-spike:: TD!!!!!! ::does victory lap::

Score one for people with low PGRE scores!!! :D :D :D :D OMG!!!!! Sorry, guys, I'm just SOOOOO excited!!! Congrats to everybody else who made it too - see you guys at the open house!!!

Details: Same as kwxl, 20% RA, 30% TA. It does appear to be standard - but it still beats any other offer I've gotten by a lot! Is the cost of living really high there or something??

myass

Post by myass » Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:00 pm

Congrats to those who admitted to Stanford. I'm also accepted.

I have been accepted to Berkeley as well. I got a phone call and spoke with graduate advisor. They offer me $27500 for doing nothing (no TA nor RA) and up to $53000 with TA in 25% of time plus summer research. I think it's the standard package. I didn't expect a public school like Berkeley paying for about $30000 for doing nothing in the first year (no TA nor RA) like other offers from private schools. Berkeley rocks!
Last edited by myass on Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

dlenmn

Post by dlenmn » Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:02 pm

@ DigitallyCrazy

That's awesome! Go 700 club. (You should move your profile to the profile thread.)

grinjones

Post by grinjones » Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:05 pm

of course the cost of living is huge there... it is in the bay area you tit head

QuantumP7

Post by QuantumP7 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:25 pm

dlenmn wrote:
From an piece with advice to applying to grad school (much of it Swarthmore specific) but with some interesting tidbits (e.g. MIT GRE thresholding).
I just read that link. I kept wondering how important grades are in the selection process and she didn't cover that.

I'm graduating this fall and will have around a 3.0 (but higher in my major). But I'm severely hearing impaired, so I miss things a lot during lecture, and the professors don't have enough time to go over all of the things that I need to get really high grades in their classes. However, I study very well by myself and will shoot for at least a 900 on the Physics GRE and very high scores on the general GRE. I also have been researching for almost a year, and excel in that (I work one-on-one with the professor). It's in aerospace propulsion, but it is still research experience, right?

When I apply for grad school (this fall), I'm definitely applying for the experimental atomic physics groups. I want to research antimatter collection and storage.

So, would I have a chance to get in ANYWHERE if my grades are not stellar, but everything else is great and I have stellar letters of recommendation?

The only schools that I know of that have the research that I want are Harvard and UCSD. I'm not very confident in my chances of getting into those places, especially Harvard.

dlenmn

Post by dlenmn » Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:37 pm

My understanding is that grades generally matter a good deal, with junior and senior year grades often mattering more. Elsewhere I've mentioned [isbn=0374524777]Getting What You Came For: The Smart Student's Guide to Earning an M.A. or a Ph.D.[/isbn] which provides some info on the subject and is generally a respected resource for all things grad school.

Be sure to mention your hearing impairment in your statement of purpose, and how you think it may have negatively effected your grades.

Since you know what you want to research, it might make sense to make some contact with the profs you're interested in, to try to get an in. (This is the strategy in the book I linked to -- I didn't try it myself.) Also, look around for more schools (perhaps talk with profs at your school for leads) -- I'm sure there are more. If you really want to go to grad school, you should apply to more than two schools...

In any case, I think this puts more pressure on you to do well on the physics GRE. If you do as well as you hope, I'd guess that you'd have a good shot at UCSD. Don't know about Harvard. Then again, I'm just an applicant as well (and not a particularly successful one), so what the heck do I know?

DigitallyCrazy

Post by DigitallyCrazy » Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:51 pm

::flings url http://cgi.money.cnn.com/tools/costofli ... A&x=54&y=5 at grinjones' head::

...don't get all pissy.

@dlenmn: Done and done.

VT

Post by VT » Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:57 pm

OUR 700 CLUB is more powerful than 900 CLUB. yay!

QuantumP7

Post by QuantumP7 » Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:00 am

dlenmn wrote:My understanding is that grades generally matter a good deal, with junior and senior year grades often mattering more. Elsewhere I've mentioned [isbn=0374524777]Getting What You Came For: The Smart Student's Guide to Earning an M.A. or a Ph.D.[/isbn] which provides some info on the subject and is generally a respected resource for all things grad school.

Be sure to mention your hearing impairment in your statement of purpose, and how you think it may have negatively effected your grades.

Since you know what you want to research, it might make sense to make some contact with the profs you're interested in, to try to get an in. (This is the strategy in the book I linked to -- I didn't try it myself.) Also, look around for more schools (perhaps talk with profs at your school for leads) -- I'm sure there are more. If you really want to go to grad school, you should apply to more than two schools...

In any case, I think this puts more pressure on you to do well on the physics GRE. If you do as well as you hope, I'd guess that you'd have a good shot at UCSD. Don't know about Harvard. Then again, I'm just an applicant as well (and not a particularly successful one), so what the heck do I know?

Thanks for your reply! That helped tons.

I see that you got into UCSD. I'd LOVE that. It's got the research I want (I've already started reading research papers on antimatter collection and storage and plan to write a senior thesis on the subject) AND it's in a great state!

The guy at Harvard is the king of antimatter, though. He was one of the FIRST people to trap antiprotons and slow them enough to get GREAT results on antiproton characteristics. I HAVE been in contact with him. He's a very nice guy! But, again, I doubt very highly that I'll get into that school.

I've been trying to find other schools that do this research, but so far I haven't found any others. Well, the Physics department at Embry-Riddle does it, but they have no graduate program. :(

dlenmn

Post by dlenmn » Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:01 am

@ DigitallyCrazy

Thanks. Saved grae the trouble of notifying you.

dlenmn

Post by dlenmn » Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:11 am

QuantumP7 wrote:I see that you got into UCSD.
Heh. If so, that's news to me. I didn't apply...
QuantumP7 wrote:The guy at Harvard is the king of antimatter, though. He was one of the FIRST people to trap antiprotons and slow them enough to get GREAT results on antiproton characteristics. I HAVE been in contact with him. He's a very nice guy! But, again, I doubt very highly that I'll get into that school.
I've heard a talk by him (blanking on his name at the moment). It's definitely cool stuff (well, actually quite cold stuff IIRC). From what I understand, making contact with profs can sometimes seriously boost your chances (be sure to mention it somewhere, like in your personal statement -- some apps have a specific place to list profs you've been in contact with), so I wouldn't completely discount your chances (of course, top places turn down tons of qualified applicants, so certainly don't bank on it).
QuantumP7 wrote:I've been trying to find other schools that do this research, but so far I haven't found any others. Well, the Physics department at Embryo-Riddle does it, but they have no graduate program. :(
I don't know much about your area of interest, but I'm sure there must be more than 3 schools doing research in it.

grae313

Post by grae313 » Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:09 am

kwxl wrote:My stipend from Stanford was for a 1/4 RA and a 1/4 TA for the academic year and an RA for the summer. It totaled 31K. This was for a 'typical' student last year, and not a specific package for me, I believe. It also states that the rates for this year will be higher, so maybe an estimate of 32K for 12 months this year is accurate. I still have the NSF and NDSEG out, so I hope that for as well.

That is as high as any offer I have seen thus far. I will be very interested in seeing my specific offer when they get around to it!
OK, yeah, I should have applied to physics, not applied physics. Somehow I thought they would be comparable in funding. Berkeley has also offered me $27.5k for doing nothing and the possibility of a TA or RA for a lot more. Even UCLA is offering me $33k for nine months. Also, cornell is offering me $27.5k for 9 months but the cost of living in ithaca is about half of the cost of living in the bay area. According to http://www.bestplaces.net/col/, I would need to make over $51k in the bay area to maintain the same standard of living I'd have at cornell with $27.5k....

kwxl

Post by kwxl » Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:37 am

those are great offers!! My do nothing fellowship from Cornell was a bit smaller, and my offer from Princeton is close to the one from Stanford, though the cost of living there is still much greater than Ithaca.

The real question then, is could you really find some good use for all that money equivalent out in nowhere, small town, upstate New York? :wink:

QuantumP7

Post by QuantumP7 » Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:45 am

dlenmn wrote:
QuantumP7 wrote:I see that you got into UCSD.
Heh. If so, that's news to me. I didn't apply...
Sorry about that! I got your admission profile mixed up with someone else's. :oops:

grae313

Post by grae313 » Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:09 pm

kwxl wrote:The real question then, is could you really find some good use for all that money equivalent out in nowhere, small town, upstate New York? :wink:
Oh, don't worry. I'm really good at spending money :mrgreen:

xdebugger

Post by xdebugger » Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:59 pm

Rejected by Stanford yesterday... bastards. But got into Caltech!!! yay

butsurigakusha

Post by butsurigakusha » Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:46 pm

got into Berkeley

VT

Post by VT » Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:49 pm