Thoughts About Physics Web Logs (responding to twistor)

• Imagine you are sipping tea or coffee while discussing various issues with a broad and diverse network of students, colleagues, and friends brought together by the common bond of physics, graduate school, and the physics GRE.

Grant
site admin

Thoughts About Physics Web Logs (responding to twistor)

Post by Grant » Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:06 pm

I split off the following quote from twistor from the Introduction to Physics Web Log Forum.
twistor wrote:Interesting idea but I don't think it will be widely utilized.
twistor, you are correct in your analysis. The physics web logs have been around for many months and nobody has posted. However, I am not giving up on this concept because I feel it has a lot of potential. I going to make PhysicsGRE.com t-shirts and plan to give them away to the first 5 people who make a few blog entries over the course of a couple weeks. Hopefully this will jump start the blog forum :D

These t-shirts are going to be really good. I am not kidding about free t-shirts for physics blogs.

twistor

Re: Thoughts About Physics Web Logs (responding to twistor)

Post by twistor » Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:58 pm

I didn't even know the blogs existed until today.

I have far too many disparate ideas to ever write a consistent blog.

Will these be the only 5 t-shirts in existence?

Grant
site admin

Post by Grant » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:02 pm

No there will be lots. I plan to use them to help promote various concepts on the site such as the physics web logs, the new articles section (once it is ready), etc. I just mentioned the 5 number to start things off. I haven't actually made the t-shirts yet but I have the design ready. I do not plan on selling them so the only way to get one is by contributing to the site.

zxcv

Post by zxcv » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:43 pm

I was actually thinking about t-shirts the other day.... I want a physicsgre.com t-shirt so I can wear it to all the grad school open houses I go to. Otherwise how will we know who each other are?

Grant
site admin

Post by Grant » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:57 pm

When will I need to complete the t-shirts to be ready for open houses?

twistor

Post by twistor » Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:01 am

I think most are in late April/early March but there is a thread related to this in the Graduate School Forum. grae313 has been keeping track of open house dates.

Grant
site admin

Post by Grant » Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:39 pm

Wow that open house thread is good. I'm going to try to get the shirts ready in time for the end of April ones. Maybe somebody can keep a short web log about their open house visits :) This physics web log thing is going to work. Somebody is going to step up to the plate and start it off (and get a free physicsgre.com t-shirt).

zxcv

Post by zxcv » Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:40 pm

Final decisions are due by April 15 so late April wouldn't do anyone any good... I think twistor meant early April instead?

Grant
site admin

Post by Grant » Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:04 pm

I'll try to get them done in the next few weeks then. If somebody starts a blog it will be great motivation :)