FALL 2008 acceptances

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

VT

Post by VT » Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:22 am

Any body dared to apply to MIT and Princeton with GRE score in the range of 700? Am I the only daredevil(??) applicant to do so? I think my application will provide a good laugh to the admissions committees at those places in this hectic admissions season. :(

admissionprof

Post by admissionprof » Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:44 pm

I just looked at the discussion for the first time in a couple of days, and was stunned to see that Florida State has given people a deadline of February 29th. This is a blatant violation of the agreement that all schools (including FSU) made with the Council of Graduate Schools. I can assure you that the department will be informed of this shortly. It is likely a mistake, by a new admissions person who doesn't know about the agreement, and will be rectified shortly.

In the meantime, you should accept the offer before the 29th, even if you have no intention of going, and then withdraw on April 15th (but not before). If they want to play games like that, we can play right back. If it isn't rectified soon, there will likely be sanctions placed on their department by the council.

twistor

Post by twistor » Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:49 pm

What kind of sanctions?

quizivex

Post by quizivex » Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:53 pm

Electricity to the whole department will be turned off, and one admissions committee member will be executed by firing squad every week until they fix their policies.
Last edited by quizivex on Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VT

Post by VT » Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:54 pm

okay,but how about my question! :P

quizivex

Post by quizivex » Sat Feb 16, 2008 3:01 pm

@ VT

Lots of students with GREs in the 700s have applied to top schools, including some of the ones you mentioned.

To verify this, do an "edit-find" serch in the profile thread for "P: 7" and it will take you to all the users who scored in the 700s. Then see where they applied to. Many of them applied to top schools, and grae313 has already been accepted to Cornell.

quizivex

Post by quizivex » Sat Feb 16, 2008 3:05 pm

Nevermind the whole edit-find idea, it's just as easy to scroll down yourself and look at the GRE scores.

Since most of these schools have GRE averages in the 880 range, it must be true that lots of people in the 700s get accepted. Of course, they probably need something really special... like a sole authored publication :wink: ... how the hell did u do that? hehe

VT

Post by VT » Sat Feb 16, 2008 3:26 pm

It was a tour de force :)

EDIT:
Since most of these schools have GRE averages in the 880 range, it must be true that lots of people in the 700s get accepted.
I did not understand this sentence :?

admissionprof

Post by admissionprof » Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:36 pm

I like quizivex's idea about firing squads. Better yet, just remove all coffee machines. We all know a theoretical physicist is a machine for turning coffee into equations. Actually, I don't know what the sanctions would be, although the Council would probably pass a "naughty-naughty" resolution, and could urge member schools to suggest that their students not apply there. The publicity won't be good.

I suspect it's a mistake, or a badly worded letter (i.e. "we would very much like to hear by the 29th of February" is not the same as "your offer will be withdrawn if you don't give us a final answer by the 29th of February"). An appropriate person at FSU has already been informed and they will check on Monday. If it isn't a mistake or a badly worded letter, this will go to the chair, then the dean, then the provost---the policy will be changed. If necessary, the APS will get involved, but that is unlikely.

nvanmeter

Post by nvanmeter » Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:38 pm

wow, i really like this grad school justice system! you mess with one of us, admissionprof will take you down. it's awesome to have one of you guys on our side!

schandre

Post by schandre » Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:18 pm

I have read all the discussion about my post about my FSU acceptance and I appreciate all the feedback and advices. But now I have to apologize for skipping (not on purpose) important information while reading FSU's acceptance mail and making you believe FSU didn't have a good reason to ask for such a fast reply. I freaked out so bad with the deadline I couldn't gather any other important info that was there besides the deadline. They may be right about the fact that I have to make my decision by February 29th. I'm an international student and they have another reason besides their budget constrains that makes much more sense:

"Due to serious budget constraints within the University we would appreciate your acceptance or rejection of our offer as soon as possible, but no later than February 29, 2008. As we expect delays of up to six months in obtaining a visa, please be advised that we may not be able to complete the necessary paperwork in time for you to join our program if you delay your decision until after this date. Hence, if we do not hear from you by this date we will assume that you have decided to go elsewhere."

Now that made me think if I don't get replies from the other programs I applied before March then I won't be able to get a visa in time for the fall term. Is there any other international student out there that had/has to deal with the same kind of pressure?

admissionprof

Post by admissionprof » Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:37 pm

We accept plenty of international students and have not had a single one fail to get a visa in time (although one from Russia arrived a few days late). I don't see why things are different now. The last sentence of the paragraph seems to be a pretty clear violation.

Again, if you're still waiting on other schools, accept the offer on the 29th, and then if you get into another place, just withdraw. What can they do?

admissionprof

Post by admissionprof » Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:39 pm

P.S. Last year we accepted three international students on April 14th, and they also got their visas long before school started in late August.

VT

Post by VT » Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:57 pm

schandre:
It never takes 6 months to get a visa. That is utter bullshit. I am an international student myself( I am in the US now,) and it took me only 15 days to get my visa. No matter where you are from, it will never take you 6 months to get the visa. FSU should cut the crap up.
Jus tell them you accept their offer now and deny it later once you have more offers. No one can do anything.

aanaa

Post by aanaa » Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:07 pm

VT

i'm an international applicant with a physics GRE score of 770. accepted (with fellowship) to MIT. chill! it's more to an application than GRE scores...

VT

Post by VT » Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:12 pm

WOW, That is Superb. Brilliant. loads of congratulations to you.
when did you hear from them? how many publications did you have? and where? were they all on Physical reiview? are you male/female?? applicant?
I have not heard anything from them yet. :(

quizivex

Post by quizivex » Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:25 pm

VT wrote:I did not understand this sentence
All I was saying is that many top schools list the GRE score of their average admitted applicant. This tends to be around 880. By elementary statistical analysis, it is very likely that there must be just as many students who are accepted with scores in the 700s as there are 990s out there!

I think aanaa is female, so I wouldn't get your hopes up from her story alone, but plenty of male applicants in the 700s get accepted too... just browse last year's threads.

VT

Post by VT » Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:34 pm

You jus gave me a new spring of hope, quizivex :)
I am very poor in statistical analysis. :P

EDIT: thanks much for the info. I am not going to study for my exam instead browse last years thread to find that info. Also I am just looking for MIT and Princeton only.

kah

Post by kah » Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:28 pm

I received an acceptance email from the University of Texas last week. On of my top choices.

quizivex

Post by quizivex » Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:42 pm

Congrats, kah, and welcome to the forum. Please post your profile when you get a chance.

woooster

FALL 2008 acceptances

Post by woooster » Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:58 pm

Admissionprof,

Just curious. How do School A know that you have accepted the offer of School B?

In the case of the person who got offer from FSU, you suggest him to accept the offer and can decline later. But wouldn't other schools that he apply know about this somehow (may be there is a common share student list between schools), and decide not to offer him because they think the student will go to FSU instead.

Do you have an idea? Of course, I think it is very unlikely school A will know, but just in case.

admissionprof

Post by admissionprof » Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:07 pm

No, I know of no particular way to find out who has been accepted somewhere else (other than asking the student, of course), or who has accepted an offer. I imagine that some admissions directors might compare notes, but that's pretty unlikely---I would consider it confidential.

inverseErfc

Post by inverseErfc » Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:55 am

schandre, which american embassy will you apply to for a visa...like I know if you apply to the US embassy/consulates in Pakistan or Saudi Arabia the process takes longer though it shouldnt drag on for 6 months..i think when i applied for a visa for my undergrad 4 yrs ago it took me around 3-4 weeks..usually the embassy you apply at gives you a good estimate when you will get your passport back

pacman

Post by pacman » Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:29 pm

Hi everyone -- it's very late in the game but I'll post my profile in case it's helpful. I know it's been useful/reassuring for me to see the results so far, and I'll meet some of you at the U Washington visit!

multigoal

Post by multigoal » Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:27 pm

Hello Admissionprof,
My profile is given below:

Undergrad Institution: a famous school in India
Major(s): BE (major: Electronics & Communication Engg)
Graduate: MS in Applied Physics from a good university in US(2008).

grad GPA in Physics: ~ 3.9
Overall grad GPA: ~ 3.7
Type of Student: International (currently in US)

GRE Scores:
Q: 800 (92%)
V: 590 (82%)
Physics GRE: 620 (40%) ....It sucks!!

TOEFL Total: not reqd as i'll have an MS

Research Experience: 2 years research experiences
Publications: 2 conference proceedings and 1 journal papers.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions:Fellowships from a US university and from a very famous Indian University

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: 2 years research experience with conference and publications

Special Bonus Points: I have finished almost all the required graduate courses for theoretical physics and I've good reco letters 2 of which taken from professors of US university

Applying to Where: PhD in Theoretical particle physics/Theoretical high energy

Upenn - Department - Research Interest - Result
UVA - Department - Research Interest - Result
UGA - Department - Research Interest - Result
NYU - Department - Research Interest - Result
Syracuse - Department - Research Interest - Result
UCDavis - Department - Research Interest - Result

How much would be the effect of Physics GRE on my whole profile for these schools

grae313

Post by grae313 » Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:35 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

multigoal, you've already applied. There is nothing you can do now but wait.

my opinion (you asked for it):
your PGRE score is absolutely terrible for someone who already has a MS in physics. there is no way you should have all of that experience and still score worse than almost half the people who took the test. I'll be surprised if you get into any of those schools.

cancelled20080417

Post by cancelled20080417 » Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:36 pm

<deleted coz I am a *** ***>
Last edited by cancelled20080417 on Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

grae313

Post by grae313 » Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:36 pm

lol, RG

stardote

Physics Grad School

Post by stardote » Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:30 pm

I'm new to this forum and so, hi. About the above comments, I don't know if you were being sarcastic (it's hard to tell on the internet), but those comments were some of the bitchiest things I've heard in a long time-especially coming from somebody in a good vantage point (being accepted to great schools, etc.)

Some people are just bad test takers, or don't do well under time constraints-oh, i don't know, like those imposed on the PGRE... Maybe instead of making fun of somebody who probably worked his/her ass off, you should take a minute and think before you speak.

Personally, I think that if you've done well in your classes and you've done research and shown some initiative, good letters, etc., the admissions commitee should take your score in perspective. And, hey, if not, you can always try again next year-no biggie. You've gotten a lot farther than a lot of people by getting your master's, that fact alone proves that you know something. So *** the PGRE. Good luck with your applications.

cancelled20080417

Post by cancelled20080417 » Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:34 pm

another *** post

I am jus *** tired of *** *** and want to *** and ***
*** me.

Instead of hearing coment like that of stardote, I would prefer getting raped by a prostitute who has HIV virus ( ofcourse with out any protection)

I am jus sick people. so sorry for littering this thread.

quizivex

Post by quizivex » Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:43 pm

stardote, welcome to the forum and please post your profile if you've applied this year...

As far as the above comments, are you oblivious to the fact that this multigoal nuisance has plastered his damn profile all over the forum 6 times and the rest of us are sick of seeing it?

We therefore will not hesitate to tell him he has pitifully bad chance of ever being accepted anywhere...

I dunno, RG, I'd rather get raped by goodfromfar

stardote

Post by stardote » Sun Feb 17, 2008 6:02 pm

I posted my profile.

RG, didn't mean to make you feel that bad.

quizivex

Post by quizivex » Sun Feb 17, 2008 6:09 pm

Great, stardote! And thanks to the rest of you who have posted recently too. The profile thread is getting better and better everyday. We have such a diverse variety of profiles up there!!

cancelled20080417

Post by cancelled20080417 » Sun Feb 17, 2008 6:53 pm

no worries stardote. I was pissed with multigoal for posting his damn profile everywhere and I have no problem with his GRE score coz I am also with him/her and you to say *** THE ETS, *** THE PGRE.

multigoal nuisance has plastered his damn profile all over the forum 6 times and the rest of us are sick of seeing it?
THIS is so hilarious. hahahahaah
Grae I need those rolling smileys when I am laughing my ass off.

admissionprof

Post by admissionprof » Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:23 pm

Multigoal--

Let's see. You have a bachelors in engineering, you have a masters in Applied Physics, and now you want to do theoretical physics ??? And with a masters, you just got a 40th percentile on the GRE? Get real. Your English also isn't very good. If you're at a good US university, why don't you stay where you are?

I suggest applying to schools ranked between 100 and 150.

Plus, you have been annoying a lot of people. People who annoy people have trouble in graduate school---maybe that's why you want to leave.

Please don't post your profile again.

P.S. How do you know your reco letters are good? You aren't supposed to see them.

P.P.S. Uh, why Georgia? They don't have theoretical particle physics. Maybe you need to research the schools you're applying to.

cancelled20080417

Post by cancelled20080417 » Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:29 pm

admissionprof:
why do you like a character called 'RG', by the way?( li'l off topic,sorry)
Also, how did you know that multigoal's English is not very good?
thanks.

admissionprof

Post by admissionprof » Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:41 pm

RG. Sorry, I don't understand your first question. For the second---I read the profile: "2 of which taken...", "1 journal papers", "Engg", didn't take TOEFL (it usually is required for admission to a grad program), the phrase "famous university" is never used by native English speakers, but often by non-native English speakers, etc. It really doesn't matter though--if I were concerned about his English, I'd just call him.

cancelled20080417

Post by cancelled20080417 » Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:05 pm

I read somewhere on this forum where you voted for a character called 'RG'. If it is not true, then nevermind. I might have misread.

For the TOEFL, it is indeed NOT required if international students have a degree from the US.

admissionprof

Post by admissionprof » Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:06 pm

I don't recall doing that, but maybe it was a senior moment. I know the TOEFL isn't required, but most students take it in order to get into the US in the first place.

cancelled20080417

Post by cancelled20080417 » Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:11 pm

ok, but multigoal is already in the US! Did you misread his/her post?

Cheers, (and I like RG--whoops, wrong thread).
This is what I was talking about!

quizivex

Post by quizivex » Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:52 am

@ RG

Did someone hack your account? Why are you nagging admissionprof about his positive opinions of you? You should feel honored.
Cheers, (and I like RG--whoops, wrong thread).
This was written the same day your "fond of RG" poll was the highlight of the forum. admissionprof praised you from another thread and that's why he said "whoops, wrong thread."

RG, you are the second most targeted guy on the forum behind myself. You must keep your allies close or we're doomed. (maybe doom himself will attack)

As for multigoal's poor English, this is apparent because there are grammar errors in every line of his profile. Even after rewriting his profile 6 times, he hasn't corrected them. There's no hope for him.
I suggest applying to schools ranked between 100 and 150.
Once we start talking about those kinds of schools, we should be counting their rank from the bottom (bottom 50, bottom 20 etc...). Thanks.

Oh geez, VT posted a sad face... looks like that sense of hope I gave him yesterday has diminished.

In the news this hour, the physics building at FSU has been burnt to the ground by vigilantes that call themselves the 415's...
How can you possibly hold classes with only 1 graduate stduent?
That'd be a depressing place to be a physics grad student.
fermiboy wrote:grae131,

sounds to me like they are going to accept you. congrats. If I was you I would rather go to Cornell though.
131??? If this were really her name then we missed her birthday by 18 days... terrible. Or maybe she chose 313 because it's prime... oh wait 131 is prime too... ugh... time for bed 8)

[/quote]

fermiboy

Post by fermiboy » Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:24 am

131? Oops. There's that dyslexia kicking in again. Now you see why I got a 370 on the physics GRE.

PeterGriffin

Post by PeterGriffin » Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:19 am

hpharty

Post by hpharty » Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:57 pm

After a 3 week dry spell:

ACCEPTED to CMU today by e-mail.

That means I'll be in Pittsburgh at the end of March, most likely. I'll post in the other thread, because I know a few of you will get one of these e-mails very soon.

twistor

Post by twistor » Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:16 pm

Plus, you have been annoying a lot of people. People who annoy people have trouble in graduate school---maybe that's why you want to leave.

Please don't post your profile again.
lol...

Apparently our criticism is so infectious that even professors are joining. Thank Garden for the cloak of anonymity provided by the internet.

cancelled20080417

Post by cancelled20080417 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:21 pm

twistor you were supposed to create a poll that I requested for on the other thread.

twistor

Post by twistor » Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:23 pm

twistor you were supposed to create a poll that I requested for on the other thread.
Hey, I'm not the only one who can create polls. :?

In any case, grae131 will ban it to the lounge if I do it so maybe you better try.

grae313

Post by grae313 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:05 pm

you're safe, twistor. If you guys don't want organization, I won't force it on you :D poll away!

cancelled20080417

Post by cancelled20080417 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:09 pm

ok, twistor, i took ur advice this time and created a new fantastic poll !! Enjoy.

cancelled20080417

Post by cancelled20080417 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:19 pm

Quiz. did you hear from MIT ? Why the hell did they send me an early rejection?
If I remember correctly, you applied in CM exp, right?

HOW MANY OF YOU GUYS WHO APPLIED TO MIT HAVE NOT HEARD FROM THEM YET?
(just curious, how many they accepted)