I CAN'T TAKE THIS ANYMORE

• Imagine you are sipping tea or coffee while discussing various issues with a broad and diverse network of students, colleagues, and friends brought together by the common bond of physics, graduate school, and the physics GRE.

fermiboy

Post by fermiboy » Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:39 pm

Thor damn it, I still haven't heard from anyone else yet. I at least want a choice.

grae313

Post by grae313 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:15 am

never could I have imagined that waiting could ever be this excruciating.

fermiboy

Post by fermiboy » Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:19 am

I'm wishing I would have applied to some more schools in the 20-30 range. I thought the rest of my app was strong enough to make up for my average GRE school at the top programs but perhaps I was mistaken. I know it's still early, but it's frustrating to see other people accepted to the programs that we applied to why we sit and wait.

dlenmn

Post by dlenmn » Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:31 am

@ fermiboy

Funny, I was thinking the exact opposite thing. When I was deciding where to apply, I talked with several profs and got mixed messages. This scared me and I took a fairly conservative approach -- I applied to a bunch of schools in the high 10s and low 20s. Now that I'm in to one of them, I'm thinking it's silly that I applied to 6 of them (well, I've been thinking that for a while... one of my recommenders asked me what the heck I was doing...) I think I have a decent chance to get in to a bunch of them, but it's not like I can visit or really evaluate more than 2 or 3 places. I should have applied to fewer in that range and more in the top 15.

VT

Post by VT » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:23 am

I JUST CANT TAKE THIS ANYMORE, now. Enough is enough.
I am going to write to few places and ask them to give me the damn decision or I will soon die. If I am on the wait list, I want to TURN down their offer. I do not want waiting anymore.

I will attach a link to this thread on my each msgs just to let them know that it is NOT all FUN going on out here.

cancelled20080417

Post by cancelled20080417 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:17 pm

VT, don worry, you will get into Cornell. Cornell has started their second round of offer, I knew it from them.

woooster

Post by woooster » Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:21 pm

Why can't a grad school make all of their decision on the same freaking day, and say the date rather than saying by march 15? This is so BS, it wastes so much of our time and hope every day checking email. I would rather have them send all offer on march 15th than this....

VT

Post by VT » Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:43 pm

yes, woooster. I got a really bad grade in an exam in one of the classes I am taking this semester.
Although I have heard from two good places, I really want to know right now if i will make TOP 10 or not. I wish some of the Profs here on this forum could understand our feelings and hurry up the process.
After all why does it take sooooooooo LONG?
If you want to reject me, then give me rejection, if you want me then accept me.
Cornell's application deadline was Dec 15 and though it is almost two months from that deadline, it feels like I have been waiting to hear from them since past two YEARS.
My classes are more important to me than the decision, cuz, without those classes I am not going to graduate this spring. please Profs help us and send us the decisions.
In the Bio department, people get decisions in a week after their application deadline. I thought Physicsists were much smarter than any biologists.
May be I was wrong.( I know it has nothing to do with smartness, just my rant)
:(

woooster

Post by woooster » Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:04 pm

Haha, VT, I think the problem is biophysics or astrophys have much smaller number of applicants, and phys has like 600.

On the other hand, even thou some schools have deadline before Dec 15, they probably won't do anything during the winter break, so it makes no much diff than the school that has late dec deadline. MIT sent out some decision, and their deadline is Dec31 or something.