Anybody get an e-mail from Stanford

1420 Peach

Anybody get an e-mail from Stanford

Post by 1420 Peach » Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:29 pm

Stanford's submission e-mail states:

"At this time the admissions staff is processing supplementary materials for all applicants. Please do not contact our office inquiring about receipt of your documentation, as this only serves to slow down the collation process.
If any supplementary materials or official test scores are missing from your file a staff member will contact you."

Well that is an open loop system if I've ever seen one. How do I know if it is complete or they just haven't got around to it?

I guess I am asking if anybody got an e-mail yet stating their application was incomplete.

quizivex

Post by quizivex » Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:35 pm

I got the same message you did when I first submitted the application.

I have not received any further e-mails confirming or denying that my application is complete. Supposedly if we don't hear anything from them by late December, we are ok!

fermiboy

Post by fermiboy » Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:07 pm

I wasn't very comfortable with this either. I was thinking "yeah, sure you'll tell me stuff is missing, like in April after you picked everybody you want."

Why can't everyone use the online check list, like Cornell, UCSB, Yale, etc?

grae313

Post by grae313 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:06 pm

yes I got this email as well. I'm planning to give them a couple more weeks at the maximum and then give them a call. I can disguise it under the fact that I was recently notified that my paper was accepted and my poster presentation at a conference was scheduled! (woohoo!) So while I'm "updating" my application, I'll very sneakily ask about its status... :D

zxcv

Post by zxcv » Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:32 pm

I just got an email today from UCSD telling me they didn't get my physics GRE score. Looks like ETS screwed up and sent my supplemental score reports before they processed my physics score. At least they're sending them for free now.

Stanford was one of the other schools that hasn't yet received my physics GRE score and they haven't written anything to me. I did put it in the online application though, so maybe that's good enough for now.
Last edited by zxcv on Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

quizivex

Post by quizivex » Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:09 pm

Wow that's terrible!

I guess that future applicants should take a lesson from this. Since some schools allow you to call and ask about received materials, make sure you check whether both the general and subject scores are on your score report. I've seen several posts from the past few years of students saying they found out late in the process that all of their schools received an incomplete score report. That's a scary situation to be in.

While some schools using embark have the online notification system, since sorting materials is often done by a central admissions office that won't know whether we need subject scores or not, they're probably just confirming that "yes we have a score report," not that it contains all the necessary information. So again, make sure you confirm with at least one school that the report is complete! Chances are, if one is complete, the rest are.

That's pretty irresponsible that Stanford didn't contact zxcv in December like they said they would if something was missing, and especially rude considering they have the highest application fee I know of and demand two official transcripts when they could just make a *** copy!