How to apply to a PhD in the USA ?

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

aquarius

How to apply to a PhD in the USA ?

Post by aquarius » Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:17 am

Hi everybody !
I'm a french senior high school physics teacher. I became a teacher because I wanted to teach in university but france doesn't offer opportunities anymore for high level students (I got full marks on physics for the hardest french physics teacher exam).
I'd like to become a physicist (I'm fed up with teaching to very low level pupils...). I tried the 2 paper samples from GRE I could find on the net, and I got scores of 830 and 890 (I lost a little bit since I'm teaching... :cry: , especially in quantum mechanics and relativity).
I'm going to take the next GRE physics test (in april), but I don't know what I could get with this kind of score in the USA ?
Are there any programs for foreign students ? Can foreign students apply to graduate schools in the USA ? I'm especially fond of space science and I would be very pleased to talk with US graduate students or university teachers to get their advices about applications and GRE
Regards
Christian

Wanna Be Physicist

Post by Wanna Be Physicist » Thu Dec 29, 2005 10:00 pm

Generally foreign students need to score in the 800+ range. Because they are typically better at fundamental physics than US students.

If you want to study the US you need to apply for a student visa. I'm sure the local US Embassy can help you, with that.

Hope this helps :D

raysum

Its an easy job to get admission for a people like you!

Post by raysum » Fri Dec 30, 2005 8:35 am

Cheer up!
Last edited by raysum on Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

aquarius

Post by aquarius » Fri Dec 30, 2005 8:56 am

Well, thank you for your advices
I'd like to get a very good school, because PhD in france is very easy and doen't help you to find a good position.
I'm going to ask the US embassy about the way to ask. Thanks for the advice.
Well, I'm going to continue teaching in france for the moment... I will see if I can get a position of univ teacher.
What kind of position can you typically get when you are graduated from an average US university ? In france, nearly 20 % of ppl who graduated are still unemployed
I'm going to follow your advice raysum (making some homework)
Btw, do you know where I can find (or d/l) other samples tests for physics GRE ?

Wanna Be Physicist

Post by Wanna Be Physicist » Fri Dec 30, 2005 4:31 pm

aquarius

If you decide to become a US Citizen, your chances for employment are very good, if you stay in the US.

I'd say 90% of Physicists find good work here, because american schools don't produce enough technically educated people. However you might do engineering rather than physics, but it's better than being jobless.

We have to import alot of people from abroad to fill positions.

I went to an average school and I found good work right out of college.

aquarius

Post by aquarius » Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:40 pm

OK
Thanks for your help
I'm going to take all the required tests (GRE general test, GRE Physics and TOEFL) and apply to US universities. But I'm still wondering wether foreigners can get financial support or not... The financial support program looks very complicated to me
I'd like to apply to an university with an astronautics or aeronautics PhD. I'm fond of astronautics and aeronautics.
Btw, I tried the two other tests GR8677 and 9277 and I got 970 for each test. I read somewhere that having good scores on GRE physics doesn't help, while having bad scores really desserve . Is it right ?
Regards
Christian

Wanna Be Physicist

Post by Wanna Be Physicist » Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:21 am

Sorry. I'm not well informed on the issues of financial support for foreign students.

Maybe someone else on here has a better understanding.

aquarius

Universities ranking

Post by aquarius » Sat Jan 07, 2006 2:26 pm

Hi

Can someone tell me where I can find the US universities ranking ? I want to apply to a PhD in astronautics or aeronautics, but I don't know which schools are the best between Stanford, Purdue, Princeton, MIT, etc
Can someone (US preferred) help me about it ?
Another problem is (as usual...) the funding : what is paid the most ? teaching assistantship or researching assistantship ? Do assistanship enable you to cover your expenses (i.e. don't you need any other financial help (parents, loan...)) ?

Christian

yosofun

Post by yosofun » Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:10 am

see nrc rankings at http://www.phds.org