Decision Dates 2017

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

anirekj

Re: Decision Dates 2017

Post by anirekj » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:57 pm

blinkmiss wrote:Heard back from UIUC in the middle of the night last night. Stipend looks little low, but they said fellowship decisions haven't been made yet, this is TA or RA-ship. CME.
Stipend does look surprisingly low. It also sounds like the fellowship is very selective :oops:

zzzHermina

Post by zzzHermina » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:53 pm

Living in UIUC is really cheap tho

physicsf

Post by physicsf » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:24 am

Goldberry wrote:Unofficial acceptance (told by potential PI) last thursday at UCSB. He says they've selected their first round of admits already and official letters will go out "in a bit."
Congratulations! May I ask if you have received the official admission letter? I was also notified unofficial admission by a potential PI last week but did not hear from the school. Also, do you know any information about funding at UCSB?

alfredthered

Post by alfredthered » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:36 am

Got an unofficial acceptance from Washington University in Saint Louis today; funding details to follow in the next few weeks.

pppppphysics

Post by pppppphysics » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:56 am

Kartof123 wrote:I see a couple of Northwestern acceptances up on gradcafe. :shock:
Does anyone know if Northwestern sends out rejection letters?

aewais13

Post by aewais13 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:15 pm

Does anyone knows if Wisconsin, Madison has sent all its offers for the first round or not ?

ndrach

Post by ndrach » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:23 pm

aewais13 wrote:Does anyone knows if Wisconsin, Madison has sent all its offers for the first round or not ?
Someone recently (today, 1/26) posted in gradcafe that they recieved an email on 1/27??? must be a typo unless they are in east Asia or Australia

salvation

Post by salvation » Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:27 pm

I was wondering if Northwestern has released all its acceptance. Looking at the past results in the gradcafe, it seems like they release just one wave of acceptance. In that case, all of us who did not receive any offer yesterday probably have slim (or rather no) chance left.

cosmosis

Post by cosmosis » Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:29 pm

Saw on gradcafe that someone got accepted into the UChicago astronomy program. Did anyone else hear back?

blinkmiss

Post by blinkmiss » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:30 pm

anirekj wrote:
blinkmiss wrote:Heard back from UIUC in the middle of the night last night. Stipend looks little low, but they said fellowship decisions haven't been made yet, this is TA or RA-ship. CME.
Stipend does look surprisingly low. It also sounds like the fellowship is very selective :oops:
Yeah my other financial offer so far (from UChicago Institute for Molecular Engineering) is 14k more, so I don't know if I can even consider them seriously. Rent is higher in Chicago than Urbana but still not by that much.

queenbee

Post by queenbee » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:40 pm

Heard from UChicago today! That was probably me you saw on gradcafe :D

ETA: I got an email asking for a time to call (with good news) this morning, got the call about an hour later. He said official letters will be coming as well as emails for the open house. He was super nice!
Last edited by queenbee on Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cosmosis

Post by cosmosis » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:44 pm

queenbee wrote:Heard from UChicago today! That was probably me you saw on gradcafe :D
Congratulations! Did you get an email or call? Did they say if this is the only round of offer?

queenbee

Post by queenbee » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:47 pm

cosmosis wrote:
queenbee wrote:Heard from UChicago today! That was probably me you saw on gradcafe :D
Congratulations! Did you get an email or call? Did they say if this is the only round of offer?
Thanks! It was a call but he emailed to set it up and said it was good news so kind of both. :) I didn't ask about rounds but he did say the admissions committee just met yesterday so I imagine they're just starting with notifying people. Open house Mar 3.

Yiiiiii

Post by Yiiiiii » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:58 pm

queenbee wrote:
cosmosis wrote:
Thanks! It was a call but he emailed to set it up and said it was good news so kind of both. :) I didn't ask about rounds but he did say the admissions committee just met yesterday so I imagine they're just starting with notifying people. Open house Mar 3.
Congratulations!!!!! Email and phone call, so sweet. :) :)

anirekj

Post by anirekj » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:57 pm

blinkmiss wrote:
anirekj wrote:
Yeah my other financial offer so far (from UChicago Institute for Molecular Engineering) is 14k more, so I don't know if I can even consider them seriously. Rent is higher in Chicago than Urbana but still not by that much.
14K per month? That's a sh*t load of money. I happen to live in Chicago and I can definitely tell you the rent is not higher by that much :D. Congrats on IME btw!

Qwaps

Post by Qwaps » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:22 pm

anirekj wrote: 14K per month? That's a sh*t load of money. I happen to live in Chicago and I can definitely tell you the rent is not higher by that much :D. Congrats on IME btw!
I'm pretty sure that "14k more" refers to 14k more per year, so ~1k more per month.

anirekj

Post by anirekj » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:40 pm

Qwaps wrote:
anirekj wrote: 14K per month? That's a sh*t load of money. I happen to live in Chicago and I can definitely tell you the rent is not higher by that much :D. Congrats on IME btw!
I'm pretty sure that "14k more" refers to 14k more per year, so ~1k more per month.
lol I was confused.

blinkmiss

Post by blinkmiss » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:06 pm

Qwaps wrote:
Lol yeah definitely not 14k per month hahaha we wouldn't be poor grad students then

HydrogenAndTime

Post by HydrogenAndTime » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:57 pm

I heard back from UCSB Physics today.

To add a bit more info, I am an international student, applying for HEP-ex and cosmology.
Last edited by HydrogenAndTime on Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stronglycoupled

Post by stronglycoupled » Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:24 pm

Got accepted into University of Washington at Seattle. High Energy Theory. International applicant. Unofficial E-mail with funding information to follow. Hopefully to follow. I should read that once more. Super excited! First US admission. Hopefully with more to follow! :D

I should've mentioned I got the email on January 27th, but you could probably figure that out. :roll:

UPDATE: $2280 TA for the first academic year with $1200 fellowship. I'm not sure about the summer. I think you just find an advisor that's willing to support you over the summer.

epluseminus

Post by epluseminus » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:33 pm

Does anyone know if that was all of the international acceptances for Irvine?

pppppphysics

Post by pppppphysics » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:43 pm

Saw a couple acceptances from caltech astronomy on gradcafe...has anyone else heard anything?

demetkirmizi

Post by demetkirmizi » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:14 pm

epluseminus wrote:Does anyone know if that was all of the international acceptances for Irvine?
I was wondering the same thing myself when I saw the admits a couple of days ago. I got my acceptance today (I am an international), but for now it seems like they are releasing admits by fellowships (first admits all got Chancellor's Fellowship as far as I have seen, and I got the acceptance a couple of days later and got a different fellowship). I think they should have more international fellowships to offer, so if my reasoning is correct then there should be some more international acceptances.

Then again, I haven't heard anything about this from Irvine so I might be completely wrong. :)

stronglycoupled

Post by stronglycoupled » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:20 pm

demetkirmizi wrote:
epluseminus wrote:Does anyone know if that was all of the international acceptances for Irvine?
I was wondering the same thing myself when I saw the admits a couple of days ago. I got my acceptance today (I am an international), but for now it seems like they are releasing admits by fellowships (first admits all got Chancellor's Fellowship as far as I have seen, and I got the acceptance a couple of days later and got a different fellowship). I think they should have more international fellowships to offer, so if my reasoning is correct then there should be some more international acceptances.

Then again, I haven't heard anything about this from Irvine so I might be completely wrong. :)
So what is the total funding package at Irvine like? I.e. how much do you approximately end up making a year? Do you have to pay tuition fees or are these included in the package? Thank you and congrats on your acceptance! :)

demetkirmizi

Post by demetkirmizi » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:31 pm

stronglycoupled wrote:
demetkirmizi wrote:

So what is the total funding package at Irvine like? I.e. how much do you approximately end up making a year? Do you have to pay tuition fees or are these included in the package? Thank you and congrats on your acceptance! :)
Thanks, good luck with your decisions and with this excruciating waiting process:) I got the Regents' Fellowship which pays 5k /year for the first two years and also TAship / RAship (TAship pays around 6.5 k/ quarter + tuition + insurance and some other fees, RA stipend depends but they say it covers "all fees" +insurance in the email). I am a bit confused about the tuition part myself but I think TAship covers tuition only but not the nonresident tuition for internationals (around 10k/yr), but as an RA we will probably get both tuition fees covered (if I'm wrong, somebody please correct me :) ) I'll email and ask about this myself, will let you know when it's clear.
Last edited by demetkirmizi on Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ckitc

Post by ckitc » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:32 pm

pppppphysics wrote:Saw a couple acceptances from caltech astronomy on gradcafe...has anyone else heard anything?
The one just a bit ago was me. I was informed they only finalized the list earlier today and that anyone accepted should be hearing very soon. (No idea about the one a few days ago, admin committee head made it sound like they'd literally only decided a couple of hours ago.)

zzzHermina

Post by zzzHermina » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:15 pm

salvation wrote:I was wondering if Northwestern has released all its acceptance. Looking at the past results in the gradcafe, it seems like they release just one wave of acceptance. In that case, all of us who did not receive any offer yesterday probably have slim (or rather no) chance left.

POI told me this is "the first round" of offers in Northwestern during phone interview. I didn't ask if there were multiple rounds, but it sounded like there are.

cosmosis

Post by cosmosis » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:21 pm

Got an email from UC Santa Cruz. Detailed offer to follow soon. Open house 5 -7 March.

ckitc

Post by ckitc » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:58 pm

cosmosis wrote:Got an email from UC Santa Cruz. Detailed offer to follow soon. Open house 5 -7 March.
Grats!

I can confirm UCSC also sent rejection emails to people who interviewed simultaneous with these. (Woohoo, my first rejection!) If you haven't heard anything from them for astro at this point, you should consider it a "no".

Yiiiiii

Post by Yiiiiii » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:07 pm

cosmosis wrote:Got an email from UC Santa Cruz. Detailed offer to follow soon. Open house 5 -7 March.

Congrats!! I got the same email from UCSC, too! :) :lol:
At least I have somewhere to go now.

Thanks god. Thanks PhysicsGRE.com. Thanks everyone. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

cosmosis

Post by cosmosis » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:14 pm

Yiiiiii wrote:

Congrats!! I got the same email from UCSC, too! :) :lol:
At least I have somewhere to go now.

Thanks god. Thanks PhysicsGRE.com. Thanks everyone. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Yay congrats! Can't wait to meet everyone! From the interview I got the impression that they are really nice people :D Finally will be able to run away from the Northeast winter for a while.

bunnysid

Post by bunnysid » Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:58 am

Anyone heard from Brown, Stony Brook or Minnesota Twin Cities? I saw just one post on Stony Brook in gradcafe.

stronglycoupled

Post by stronglycoupled » Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:55 am

bunnysid wrote:Anyone heard from Brown, Stony Brook or Minnesota Twin Cities? I saw just one post on Stony Brook in gradcafe.
Brown is very late this year compared with last year. By this time last year, the had already released like five acceptances. Hopefully we hear something back this upcoming week.

eternalwait

Post by eternalwait » Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:11 pm

The wait continues
Last edited by eternalwait on Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aewais13

Post by aewais13 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:50 pm

I found yesterday that a decision had been posted on my application to NCSU Physics PhD. It says I've been recommended for admission but they ask to upload certificate of financial responsibility ( I am an international ) and there is no info about financial aid. I don't know if am supposed to upload this certificate for the offer to be official and then I have the choice to accept or reject it or I need first to accept the offer and then upload it after ? any ideas ? .

dankmemes

Post by dankmemes » Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:41 pm

aewais13 wrote:I found yesterday that a decision had been posted on my application to NCSU Physics PhD. It says I've been recommended for admission but they ask to upload certificate of financial responsibility ( I am an international ) and there is no info about financial aid. I don't know if am supposed to upload this certificate for the offer to be official and then I have the choice to accept or reject it or I need first to accept the offer and then upload it after ? any ideas ? .
your best bet would be to email them and ask. I believe the normal procedure is that they will offer you some form of stipend which counts towards or fulfills the financial requirement, you should ask it would be unusual not to be offered any funding. You then need to fill out an official form (again ask them) showing how you will financially support your studies which will need to be approved to make the offer official and to be able to accept it. Ask them whether you need to fill this out before or after accepting the offer.

muon

Post by muon » Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:16 am

Accepted to UC San Diego Physics PhD, no financial offer yet.

pppppphysics

Post by pppppphysics » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:43 pm

I just checked my U Chicago application status page and found my admission decision so if you've applied there you might want to login and check. I applied for the Astro program.

cosmosis

Post by cosmosis » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:48 pm

pppppphysics wrote:I just checked my U Chicago application status page and found my admission decision so if you've applied there you might want to login and check. I applied for the Astro program.
Is it this website: https://apply-psd.uchicago.edu/apply/status?

pppppphysics

Post by pppppphysics » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:30 pm

cosmosis wrote:
pppppphysics wrote:I just checked my U Chicago application status page and found my admission decision so if you've applied there you might want to login and check. I applied for the Astro program.
Yeah

dankmemes

Post by dankmemes » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:42 pm

pppppphysics wrote:
cosmosis wrote:
Yeah
If you don't mind answering, was it good or bad news? Unless it's somewhere on that page that I'm not seeing I don't have any decision on my application, so I'm not sure whether to interpret this as good or bad.

pppppphysics

Post by pppppphysics » Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:27 pm

dankmemes wrote: Is it this website: https://apply-psd.uchicago.edu/apply/status?

If you don't mind answering, was it good or bad news? Unless it's somewhere on that page that I'm not seeing I don't have any decision on my application, so I'm not sure whether to interpret this as good or bad.
I was waitlisted (not sure if that's good or bad news yet) and when I logged in there was a sign in bold lettering notifying me on an admission decision.

cosmosis

Post by cosmosis » Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:53 pm

pppppphysics wrote:
dankmemes wrote: Is it this website: https://apply-psd.uchicago.edu/apply/status?

I was waitlisted (not sure if that's good or bad news yet) and when I logged in there was a sign in bold lettering notifying me on an admission decision.
Mine shows nothing :(

HydrogenAndTime

Post by HydrogenAndTime » Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:58 pm

I applied for Chicago Physics (hep-ex and cosmology). I haven't heard back in any form: phone call, email, website (just says application complete), etc.

On the other hand, I just got an email from U. Penn. Physics & Astronomy (hep-ex and cosmology).

salvation

Post by salvation » Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:29 pm

Maryland Astro program sent interview request yesterday to numerous candidates. The doddle poll seems to show that around 40 candidates were invited (we can't see the names of the people who filled up their names for interview time slot), as 40 slots seems to be locked. But, interviewing 40 candidates sounds too much as the total number of graduate students in the department is just 35, which means each year there are about 6 graduate students. If you account for 30% enrollment, this would imply they will select 18 students of 40 top candidates. Wondering if they could have saved their time by just interviewing much less number of candidates.

Flagg

Post by Flagg » Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:33 pm

Got unofficial acceptance from Colorado State today. First one :)

physicsf

Post by physicsf » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:07 pm

Accepted by UCSB physics! Received school email to check application website. Funding info is still unavailable.

metapuff

Post by metapuff » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:07 pm

Acceptance from UCSB today! Yay :----)

Flagg

Post by Flagg » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:16 pm

Do you guys respond to your acceptance emails? What should I say, if I do?

physicsf

Post by physicsf » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:23 pm

Flagg wrote:Do you guys respond to your acceptance emails? What should I say, if I do?
Conguats! The email I received is from UCSB graduate admission, and the email informs me that "Do not reply to this email address", so I think I am not responding... If you received an email from another address, I think you can say thank you for the good news.