Any advice for studying electromagnetism?

• If you want to know something about the GRE subject test in physics then chances are you will find it in here.
  • If something about the physics GRE it isn't already discussed in here then please put it in here.

gecko428

Any advice for studying electromagnetism?

Post by gecko428 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:19 pm

I'm currently studying for the April Physics GRE, but I'm having a lot of trouble with the electromagnetism section. Electromagnetism was never my strong suit, and while I definitely learned it I'm having trouble remembering most of it.

Anyone have any tips or resources for studying this part of the GRE?

ndrach

Re: Any advice for studying electromagnetism?

Post by ndrach » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:28 pm

If you dont already have it, get Conquering the Physics GRE. They have a fairly comprehensive overview of all the E&M you'll need for the GRE

Qwaps

Post by Qwaps » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:56 pm

Relearn some things on radiation caused by accelerated charges & review the Larmor formula in wikipedia. Other than that, be sure to understand the different boundary conditions for electric and magnetic fields (permittivity and permeability formulas) and what they imply for electromagnetic waves bounding off perfect conductors. That should do it for the most technical part of E&M.

ebmuzik

Post by ebmuzik » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:10 pm

ndrach wrote:If you dont already have it, get Conquering the Physics GRE. They have a fairly comprehensive overview of all the E&M you'll need for the GRE
There are a lot of amazon reviews of this text saying that it was pretty useless and didn't apply very well to the Physics GRE. Having not taken the PGRE and only a quick look at the book's contents, what do you think?

tooterfish

Post by tooterfish » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:12 pm

ebmuzik wrote:
ndrach wrote:If you dont already have it, get Conquering the Physics GRE. They have a fairly comprehensive overview of all the E&M you'll need for the GRE
There are a lot of amazon reviews of this text saying that it was pretty useless and didn't apply very well to the Physics GRE. Having not taken the PGRE and only a quick look at the book's contents, what do you think?
Really? Conquering was the only book I actually found useful. The rest were garbage.

ndrach

Post by ndrach » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:37 pm

ebmuzik wrote:
I think a lot of the reviews are referring to the first edition which supposedly has a lot of errors in the problem solutions. I think almost all of these were corrected in the second edition. But either way, it gives a really concise review of all the subjects on the PGRE, and I dont think I saw any question on any of the practice exams or the October 2016 exam that was about a topic not covered in CtPGRE