Has anyone still not received their results?

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

Jding

Has anyone still not received their results?

Post by Jding » Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:43 pm

I am a prospective international student. Most of my admission result came out but I'm still missing results from 3 universities (UT Austin, TAMU and UC Davis). While it's not likely I will attend even if they offer me admission since I already have better places, I still think it's a bit weird that I haven't heard anything from them, not even a reject email. I even sent emails to them a week ago but got back no reply. Is any one in a similar situation as mine? Perhaps you are also an international applicant?

TakeruK

Re: Has anyone still not received their results?

Post by TakeruK » Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:09 am

Sometimes schools will not send the rejection notice until the summer, or sometimes, not until the school year begins. This is standard practice for things like jobs in North America---companies often do not tell you that you did not get hired at all. Or, if they do tell you, they wait until the new person starts the job before sending rejections.

It could also be that you are on a waitlist and you might hear an answer after April 15 after the current offers are declined. Since you already know you do not want to attend these schools, I would recommend that you withdraw your application to all three schools now. There's no point keeping your spot active because you will just waste everyone's time if they contact you on April 16 to see if you are still interested, then they will have to wait for you to say no, then they can move on to the next person.

However, if you are not 100% certain yet that you will not attend these programs, then don't withdraw. It sounds like you have offers that you are more interested in though, so I would suggest that you think carefully about what you want and make your decision promptly.

ashishdastro

Post by ashishdastro » Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:44 am

I am facing the same situation. I have to accept the offer of Toledo by April 15 but I'm waiting to hear from Boston, TAMU and Univeristy of Florida. Could anyone suggest me when should I accept the Toledo offer in case I don't hear any acceptance from these by April 15?

Also, If I accept the offer , does that mean I am automatically rejected from others.

PS: I emailed to TAMU to know the status of my application and they did replied back that they will provide the details. So waiting for their response.

All the best!

bunnysid

Post by bunnysid » Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:22 am

I have applied to 7 universities in US for a PhD in HEP-TH and got rejected from 5. I am waiting to hear from TAMU and Arizona State University. It seems many people haven't yet heard from any of these Universities. I emailed them and ASU informed me that my application was currently being considered, that was 4 days back. Haven't heard from them after that. Mostly it is rejected. As for TAMU they haven't replied to any of my emails. Can anyone tell me where I should email them? I am a bit worried as I have no other schools to look at.

TakeruK

Post by TakeruK » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:44 pm

If you have an offer from a school (let's call it school X) but you have not yet heard from another school (let's call it School A), and School A is more desirable to you than School X, then I think around April 1 is a good time to contact School A and ask if you would be able to get some information on the status of your application soon. This is because you have the April 15 deadline from School X and if you have a chance at School A, then you don't want to accept School X until you know School A has rejected you.

So, you should contact School A soon and let them know you are interested in their program still. Ask about your status and whether or not they will be able to let you know more information before April 15 (or ask for a date estimate if it's after April 15). Then, depending on how they respond....

1) If they say they have already finished making decisions, then you are rejected so you should go ahead and accept School X (unless of course, there are other schools you are waiting for, then go through the same steps with these other schools).

2) If they say you will find out prior to April 15 then just be patient and see what happens.

3) If they say you are on a waitlist and probably will not find out until after April 15 then hopefully you can get a date estimate. Ask School X to extend your deadline to the same date. If you are not able to get this extension, then accept School X on April 15 and change your mind to School A if you get accepted later on (this is very very not ideal but in the current system, there is no better way for you to act)

4) If the school does not respond then try again next week and the week after. If you still get absolutely no information and it's April 15 then follow Step 3 above (again not ideal but you would have done everything you can to avoid this situation).

bunnysid

Post by bunnysid » Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:23 am

I think TakeuK is correct. We can't do much apart from emailing them and asking or just wait. Anyways does anybody know if Arizona State University has sent any acceptances this year. There is not a single post on physicsgre or gradcafe. I know these two forums are not the indicators but it will be nice if someone here knows anything about this. As for TAMU they have already sent acceptance offers but if you go by the statistics of previous years they are very late in sending rejection letters. They have sent rejection letters as late as May. However, this year TAMU had the application deadline on December 15th. It seems a bit too late now. Many others also haven't heard from TAMU.

If anybody got acceptance from Arizona State University please post.