Need some advice when building school list

supergentle

Need some advice when building school list

Post by supergentle » Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:20 pm

Hello. Now I am done with getting scores. And I'm so tired of preparing the exams. I hope I don't re-take any of tests.
I am a international student and doing my master degree in an institution in US. Below are my score lists and GPA

Undergrad GPA: 3.7/4.3 (92.5%)
Grad GPA: 4.0/4.0 (So far)

Quant: 164(88%)
Verbal: 152(54%)
Writing: 2.5(7%)
Physics: 880(83%)
TOEFL: 94 (It might be not required because of US mater degree, depending on schools)

My research area is theoretical quantum optics. And I'm seriously doubt whether I can publish a paper or not. I think my weak point is gre general(verbal and writing) and publication. Below are the list of schools I'd like to go at this point.

UCLA(Dream school) - Quantum many body theory
New York University - statistical and mathematical physics
Boston University - statistical and mathematical physics
Northwestern University - statistical and mathematical physics
Purdue University - applied engineering school
University of Pittsburgh - applied mathematics (actually department of physics)
Washington University in St. Louis - quantum many body theory or applied engineering school
University of Notre Dame - - statistical and mathematical physics

I'd like to listen to your opinion whether my scores and gpa are suit enough for the school above. If you guys say some of scores are not enough, I would make a plan for re-taking. Thank you.

Catria

Re: Need some advice when building school list

Post by Catria » Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:01 pm

Are you sure Arizona, Rochester, CU-Boulder don't have what you want? Or Maryland even?

supergentle

Re: Need some advice when building school list

Post by supergentle » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:31 am

Catria wrote:Are you sure Arizona, Rochester, CU-Boulder don't have what you want? Or Maryland even?
That universities are so awesome place to go. But I was wondering if I can be admitted to that universities.
Especially, Maryland is also one of my dream schools.