Reapplying for a PhD with a Master's degree

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

zqwerty

Reapplying for a PhD with a Master's degree

Post by zqwerty » Thu May 07, 2015 4:30 pm

I will be joining a particular university (say University A) this fall. I have been enrolled to Phd but I'll get my masters en route.

However, University A doesn't have an active research in area that I am interested in. After completing my masters I want to reapply to certain universities for my Phd.

I contacted a few schools asking about it. They said I can obviously reapply as a first-year graduate student (that's what I want). But many people (on the internet) say that it is something that is highly frowned upon, and this decreases the chances of admission (even with Masters). I want to get some perspective as to what extent is it common, and how much is it frowned upon ?

Catria

Re: Reapplying for a PhD with a Master's degree

Post by Catria » Thu May 07, 2015 8:37 pm

Your best bet is European schools...

ziaurrehman

Re: Reapplying for a PhD with a Master's degree

Post by ziaurrehman » Thu May 14, 2015 2:19 am

i have done with my B.Sc(H) in Physics. what should i do next? any suggestions plz :?: