Colorado State vs. George Washington University

Where do you think is a better place for particle-related grad school?

George Washington University
No votes
Colorado State University
100%

Total votes: 5

culturedmuppet42

Colorado State vs. George Washington University

Post by culturedmuppet42 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:34 pm

Hi everyone!

I'm currently stuck in deciding where I should go. My main interest is particle physics, and I've been accepted to both CSU and GWU. I connected more with professors at CSU, and really liked the area, though GWU's research topics seem more varied and it's MUCH closer to where I live currently, which would make traveling on the holidays less of a chore. If anyone has two cents to offer, I certainly would appreciate them. Thanks so much!

Catria

Re: Colorado State vs. George Washington University

Post by Catria » Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:39 pm

Check stipends against the cost of living in each city.

Ft. Collins is much, much less expensive to live in than Washington DC...

djh101

Re: Colorado State vs. George Washington University

Post by djh101 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:31 am

How important are each of the factors to you? Location is important to me- I'm going to be living somewhere for 5+ years, so I'd like it to be somewhere that I will enjoy living. Unfortunately, Colorado State's research groups weren't quite close enough to my own, but it was a lovely area with some really nice people and if they were a little more compatible, I'd have gladly chosen CSU over my other better correlated but poorly located options to live in Fort Collins. Living close to family would be a nice bonus, but I wouldn't make that a deciding factor unless both schools were equal in every other respect.