Nov 3rd Scores out

• If you want to know something about the GRE subject test in physics then chances are you will find it in here.
  • If something about the physics GRE it isn't already discussed in here then please put it in here.

cancelled20080417

Post by cancelled20080417 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:02 am

grae and quizivex,
In my opinion, garden was telling us and the damn commitee to *** off, not just us or the committee alone.
So let us just *** off from his way! Iam not sure if the admissions committee would agree with him though!!hahahah

I JUST cant read his second paragraph coz its full of "they", I am not sure who he was refering to! :wink:

twistor

Post by twistor » Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:46 pm

By 'they' I think he meant 'them.

cancelled20080417

Post by cancelled20080417 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:48 pm

yeah, true for fist few they, but quickly he refers to somebody else! hahahaha
i am just gonna "*** off" of his way for now, coz my SOP is not getiing anywhere!

twistor

Post by twistor » Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:06 pm

The other they is also 'them', just a different 'them.' His statement was so concise as to include the truth about all possible groups in one statement. Genius, pure genius.

butsurigakusha

Post by butsurigakusha » Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:25 am

It looks like this thread has died.

cancelled20080417

Post by cancelled20080417 » Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:53 am

NO,
IT will never die, until garden comes back and ask us to "kill' this thread. It will remain alive until that day!! No body can kill this thread without his order. Only garden can!

Garden appearing on this forum is a rare cosmological phenomenon(as quizivex mentioned). So let us be patient and keep our hope alive. One day he is gonna make his way to this forum and enlighten us with deep insight and spell out the meaning of his words!
Garden if you read this post, just ignore it, it is not worth reading for a true genius( twistor's idea) like you!

quizivex, where are you! I hope you found ur safety school!

Grae I thought u gonna help us to keep this thread alive! Have not u killed ur SOP yet?

Twistor are u with us!

See we have a crew here!

Let us "water"( I am not sure what exactly we need to give life to a discussion thread, but anyways I hope we all understand what I meant by "water") this thread and give a new life!
(Don "drown" it though :wink: )

guys I din find anything so I wrote that crap up!
Have fun!

quizivex

Post by quizivex » Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:06 am

There's no need to worry about this thread dying. It is firmly set at the top of the forum and probably will not be threatened until the next GRE test in April.

Regardless, it will still rest in our hearts forever. We will never forget how the most confusing part of our senior year experience was in fact not the physics GRE, not the general GRE, not the application process and not senior level physics courses, but instead some obscure philosophical comment about admissions made by a genius under the alias "garden."

I highly anticipate the return of garden, but I also worry the whole thing is a hoax. Have you considered the possibility that the post was a mere decoy from someone else on this forum in attempt to distract his "competitors" from focusing on their applications?

Yes, Jia seems suspicious since he started the thread in the first place, and grae313's incomplete "attempt" to decipher the post may be designed to throw us off into further confusion. (I'm totally kidding here, you both know that :wink: )

I've lost precious time working on my half-assed SOP because of this... (and also because I keep taking lots of naps and listening to music). My grad school hopes may have been ruined.

I think I'll worry about safety schools after my semester finishes and I have the 12/15 applications finished.

Till the return of garden,
quizivex

brothermalcolm

Post by brothermalcolm » Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:22 pm

@ quizivex , grae
oh boy did i laugh so hard at your discussion about the "debatable nature" of garden's first line...

@ quizivex
how i now feel like a complete and utter twat after you mentioned the dec 15 deadline apps that i should be giving my undivided attention to...

brothermalcolm

Post by brothermalcolm » Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:31 pm

@ RG
funny thing was i also ran into that link with last nite after i finally convinced myself i had to write an essay... and now it seems i need a second life (perhaps spent the time to study complex analysis by the time i grew some pubes instead of wondering about the size of female breasts during science class)

how many ppl play the game 'second life' btw ?

cancelled20080417

Post by cancelled20080417 » Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:55 pm

"instead of wondering about the size of female breasts during science class) "

Finally there is some one out there who is truly a Physics major in his First life!
hold on, science chicks arenot that hot( at least in my school) so u shud continue ur first life in a frat house I guess!

funny thing is, I also came across that link and realized that i will need a second life to complete my SOP!

I am in desperate need of second life actually, not for F***** SOP but I wanna goto "Amsterderm" again!!
PHYSICS SUCKS! and PGRE sucks more! and SOP keeps sucking!

By the way,
does any body here know any good school in Amsterdam!
Last edited by cancelled20080417 on Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

twistor

Post by twistor » Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:26 pm

I hope it's good enough.

Coco

Post by Coco » Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:58 pm

@RG:

Schools in Amsterdam: University of Amsterdam (UvA) and Free University of Amsterdam (VU). That is it. Which one of those is better? It depends on what you want to do. It goes like this:

UvA: String theory (one of the most active and largest groups in the world), condensed matter theory
VU: Complex systems, biophysics, high energy theory (more phenomenological)

Of course they have more research groups, but those are the areas they are especially good at. They offer a joint program in theoretical physics if that is what you want (each of them has excellent research groups in specific subjects). The UvA also has master programs in particle physics, condensed matter (more experimental), etc.

There are several other good universities in Holland: Utrecht, Gronningen, Leiden, etc. Hope you don't come, though, from what I have read here you seem to be obnoxious ;)

Hope this helps

cancelled20080417

Post by cancelled20080417 » Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:09 pm

Thanks for your info!
But I am looking for something else in Amsterdam!

For the last sentence,

I am sure you are Phoenix desciple :shock:
Last edited by cancelled20080417 on Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cancelled20080417

Post by cancelled20080417 » Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:14 pm

"Hope you don't come, though, from what I have read here you seem to be obnoxious "

Coco, we do not get chance to say "*** off " very often to pther people!( well only garden has got that opportunity so far on this forum)

So, now is MY turn:

*** OFF!

:lol:

Ps. if u r kiddin, I am kiddin too, if u r serious, I am damn serious too!

quizivex

Post by quizivex » Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:07 pm

funny thing was i also ran into that link with last nite after i finally convinced myself i had to write an essay... and now it seems i need a second life (perhaps spent the time to study complex analysis by the time i grew some pubes instead of wondering about the size of female breasts during science class)
Yeah, I could picture those kids playing with the rubber bands in their braces while perusing over Thornton-Marion's mechanics book.

Dammit, for some reason I thought December 14th was today and I was rushing like crazy to finish one of the apps last night and botched two finals this morning because of it. My one prof hadn't submitted his rec yet so I was nervous and sent him a desperate e-mail, and then when I looked at his response and it said "Sent: Thurs Dec 13" I'm like..."oooooh"

guguma

Post by guguma » Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:39 am

Hello and good days,

I am an international student and I have certain concerns about my applications. And I would also like to state my opinions on the application process. I would be grateful if you could enlighten me with your experience.

I am well aware that the admission process is a complicated one, and many factors affect this process.

What I believe (depending on different informations) is that the power of your application is based on a blend of your recommendations, SOP and your research experience, GRE scores (especially subject) and finally your GPA.

Considering the GPA, it is easier for domestic applicants to put their GPA on a standardized scale but it is not easy for international applicants. Thus I will not state my GPA here.

As for the GRE scores I think that respective admissions committees do not care about the verbal and the analytic writing sections (especially if you are an international student ). If I were on an admissions committee I would not even care about the quantitative section because the quantitative section is a piece of cake for physics majors. I never understood why applicants for a Ph.D. degree in physics is required to attend the GRE General (maybe because of money).

GRE Subject is definitely a standard measure of your effective use of technical knowledge to solve elementary problems fast and correctly. As I happened to observe the subject test also measures your understanding of physics in general and understanding of some concepts. Although I find the test lacking a great deal concerning the latter.

When considering the SOP, I myself find it very important but from some posts here I see that admissions committee's do not take it that seriously. It is a shame really to see such an attitude. They have changed the concept of a "physicist" from natural scientists to a walking computer algebra system, and taking a SOP not seriously is a direct consequence of this.

As for the recommendations I think admissions committees take them seriously and I believe they should.

Finally my application:

I want to study High Energy Particle Physics, I have looked through universities which combine experimental and phenomenological theory approaches, which try to keep themselves off from string theory and the like. I apply to them because that is what I want to do.

Power of the application:

GRE Quantitative: 800
GRE Verbal: 350
GRE Analytical Writing: ?

GRE Subject: 710 ( %58 ) "my only attempt"

And my recommendations are pretty good.

I plan to apply to:

1. Boston University
2. Johns Hopkins University
3. Carnegie Mellon
4. University of Pittsburgh
5. University of Massachusetts-Amherst
6. Syracuse University
7. Brandeis University
8. Northeastern University
9. University of Iowa
10. University of Delaware

please inform me about your thoughts on the basis of the reasonability of my application and my chances.

thanks in advance.

guguma

Gardens' Post

Post by guguma » Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:05 am

This "garden" issue is pretty interesting and I offer my own translation for his/her mighty statements.

I think that you guys should *** the schools with stupid high demanding admission committees which immediatly pushes your application aside if your GRE subject percentage is below 90%.

They are doing this because they are so conservative. If they were all 90% sure and true about their decisions through their lives they would all win the NObel Prize. They would not even need to do physics, they would just become rich through an easy method of stock market deals in Wall Street, and then with all the money they got build up their own physics universe and convince everyone using the power of their riches.

I happen to have one friend who did not attend any GRE's and got accepted to Berkeley.

Good Luck to you all.

***Comments***

I felt like interpreting some holy book. Anyway s/he has good intentions and there is no need to be too hard on him. But his points do not make sense. The mechanism in which the world of physical sciences develop has changed a great deal as I have mentioned on my other post, there is nothing we can do about it. Money plays an important role now and it is no wonder why there are so many supersymmetry papers (purely mathematical mambo jambo) are published.

marten

Post by marten » Sun Dec 16, 2007 3:16 pm

Hey guys and gals,

Finally got my scores in the mail, and managed a 750 on the Physics subject. Not too bad for an engineering major, I think. It is the same score I got on the last practice exam, so I'm glad that I didn't do any worse then that. While not a stellar score, I figure that it should be good enough to demonstrate that I'm capable of doing some physics.

Whew, what a relief to finally know. Now I just gotta finish a few applications and then I can really relax.

My quantitative wasn't too high, only 710. I really could have done better, but didn't manage my time well and ran out at the end.

Marten

cancelled20080417

Post by cancelled20080417 » Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:16 pm

Thank u for keeping this thread alive! :wink:
Guguma thanks for ur translation!

agonizomai

Post by agonizomai » Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:15 pm

Has anyone heard from professors, advisors, etc. what weight is typically placed on the general GRE scores? I took the quantitative practice test and got a 740 then took the real thing and got a 630! Yikes! I'm debating whether or not I should take it again.

vicente

Post by vicente » Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:09 pm

do you have a learning disability? if you've survived three years of college-level physics, then there's no way that a 630 is an accurate measure of your ability in the quantitative section.

You should have applied for accomodations for the test like extra time or breaks. A 630 typically means that you don't know your 5 times 3 from 5 to the power of 3.

agonizomai

Post by agonizomai » Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:11 pm

Haha, you would think I do. I have a 3.94 GPA with graduate quantum mixed into that, and I just submitted a paper with the chaos theory group at Univ. of Maryland. Definitely not an accurate measure of my ability.

quizivex

Post by quizivex » Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:58 pm

Garden, please come back, I've been hitting the refresh button on this page for the past 5 weeks just dying to be the first to witness your timely return.

landau007

Not a good score

Post by landau007 » Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:25 pm

The test was very easy but I was not able to get 990, which was not difficult to reach. So, 970 (95%).

Maxwells_Demon

Post by Maxwells_Demon » Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:29 pm

landau007 (or to anyone else that would like to answer),

Did you prepare for the test by going through 4 of the ETS practice exams available online? If so, I would assume it was comparable to the most recent of the 4... 970 is a great score! Good luck to everyone!

-Maxwell's Demon

cancelled20080417

Post by cancelled20080417 » Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:16 pm

good work.

mlaaa

Post by mlaaa » Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:06 am

Hi Guys,
I've been reading the forum, and do appreciate the camaraderie amongst yourselves. It looks like you guys are very smart and have fun in the process.

I would like to ask you a couple of questions about physics and graduate school.
I received an undergrad degree in computer engineering and am currently taking a sprinkling of classes in a graduate EE program (random process & control theory in fall, DSP & optics this spring). After the first semester, I didn't feel wholly challenged in my courses, though I did very well in them. I'm a very curious individual who loves learning. So my main question: should I consider pulling the rip cord from engineering and start my career track from the beginning or just continue engineering but somehow enjoy physics on the side? I do not have any physics background except for the first physics courses engineers must take. I collect and download lots of physics literature that I enjoy reading very much. If I decided to take the physics route, do I get an undergrad physics degree? just take physics courses? or just study/learn and take the GRE Physics?
Also, how many of you have big dreams that you can/will do something extraordinary in the field?
I'd love to hear from all of you and also why you think I should leave the Dark Side?
Take care,
M

marten

Post by marten » Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:39 pm

Hello M,

I'm somewhat in a similar situation to you. I graduated with an EE undergrad degree but decided that I was really more interested in the challenges of physics. Engineering was "fun", but physics was abstract and mind-bending.

Unlike you, however, I haven't started any masters classes in engineering. After working for 2 years in industry, I've decided to apply to some PhD physics programs. It sounds like a doable switch, with some caveats. Without the physics background, I'll likely have to take some extra undergrad classes (never had quantum, for example). Most schools that I've looked at seem willing to do this, but I bet for only the good applicants as it is extra outlay on their part.

Have you looked at applied physics programs? Or engineering physics? They look like good programs for someone with an engineering background, but physics bend.

Marten

mlaaa

Post by mlaaa » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:30 pm

Marten,
Thank you for your response. After picking up a Communications Receiver Design book for class this spring, I went right back to the Electrodynamics book i purchased (Griffiths). Physics is much more interesting and fundamental than engineering. After many semesters of engineering, I do think I'm ready for a real challenge.
Since I'm fresh to this, should I:
a) take undergrad courses throughout the next year (spring + fall)
a*) take courses to get a BS in physics
b)skip the courses, and just study independently and take the GRE physics
c)apply as is, and let the departments tell me what my plan should be

I'm leaning more towards taking the courses so I can figure out what field interests me more than the others.

Thanks again,
M

marten

Post by marten » Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:41 pm

M, my experience so far has been that schools were very interested in my undergraduate preparation. They wanted to know what physics classes I had taken because my degree was in engineering. While you could probably get in several places with your current education combined with good scores and grades, I bet that more physics undergrad classes would probably really help to open up your options.

Depending on where you go, a BS in physics probably isn't necessary, but it certainly wouldn't hurt. For undergrad prep, most schools either say "BS in physics" or something like "physics or a closely related field". When pressed further, some schools responded to me privately that they often interpreted that requirement rather loosely, depending on the strength of the applicant. Of course that depends on the particular school you're applying to and how selective they are.

If you're able to take classes, I'd recommend getting in some good core physics classes. Especially if you do well, you'll have a good shot of getting into some good schools. I don't know what your situation is, (taking out loans, scholarship, trying to work and pay bills, family man, etc..) so that will obviously make a difference.

Most PhD programs only accept new applicants in the fall semester, so you'd probably be applying in fall of '08 for entry in '09.

I'd also recommend studying for the physics GRE early, you're in a good position to be able to devote some serious study time. Lots of very good resources out there. I definitely enjoyed studying for it, it was a further indication to me that I was making a good decision to leave engineering.

I'm only speculating here, I only have my inquiries and reading for sources. I've been thinking about many of the same questions over the past 2 years, so now I can finally sit back, and wait to see what schools I managed to convince to accept me.

Marten

mlaaa

Post by mlaaa » Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:53 pm

Marten,
Thanks again for your advice. You've been very helpful.
I'll let you know my progress through the year. I think I'll be taking courses for the spring and fall semesters, unless the school (GMU) will let me transition to graduate sooner than expected.
Take care,
M

quizivex

Re: Nov 3rd Scores out

Post by quizivex » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:45 am

Bumped - this thread is legendary!!!! It contains the greatest post in the history of the forum. After garden's epic post 5 years ago on this date is when forum members started joking around and becoming a friendly community. Lurkers became regulars. The regulars (especially RG) got out of control in a good way. :) In the end, the 07-08 admissions season was by far the most active ever on PhysicsGRE.com. The development of everything from the profile threads to the swear word filter all started from the explosion of activity following garden's post.
garden on 12/4/07 wrote:I would say that you guys should *** off the school with damn committee, which they put you guys down because of your GREs not over 90%.

Why? because they are so conservative! if they know they are 90% sure what they are doing, they would all win Nobel prize! Even they do not need to do physics for MIT, Harvard, Stanford, Princeton, etc. they can go t o the Wall street and put some money on the market and get whatever they want and build their own physics which they want it to be.

I have one friend, last year he applied to Berkeley, he did not have both GRE general and subject score, but the committe can not reject this guy.

Goodluck
The following are some of the posts on this thread discussing garden's words.
quizivex wrote:*tries to read the last post*

*shrugs his shoulders*

*tries one last time*

*shakes his head*

*waves white flag*

huh?
geomar wrote:As for Garden ... I don't mean to ridicule you for the incoherency of your post, as I am sure you are not a native English speaker, but I share quizivex's sentiment.
RG wrote:@garden,
your post is awesome( I am not ridiculing ok, please take it easy)
Every time i try to read your post, i cant help it.
What were you trying to tell us?

You are def. not a native Eng speaker!! But its okay!
Keep posting!!
Amazing post though, sometime we shud have post like this that blows up people mind!

Look at quizivex, he got 990 PGRE, 770 verbal and he is finding it hard to read your post! Awesome,hahahahah, quizivex, please don mind, i am only trying to be funny!
Everytime i visit the post, people are talking the same ***,
I have this score, I am applying here and there , chances and all that crap!
HEllO, NOBODY KNOWS, okay!!

Lets all have fun guys! Apply to as many schools as we can, and then just chill OUT!! Have fun guys and girls! Have fun! Physics is for fun not for stressing out!
what really surprises me is that Americans are stressing out more on these kind of admissions thing! what the heck! I mean, you guys have your HOME to stay,study and do all kind of ***! you have the money, if u don get in now, you get in to all those top places next time! 1 yr, so WHAT! Its your country!
Look at us! I am chilling out, although i am not in my homecountry!
JUS take it easy guys!
YOU ALL, and we all WILL DO FINE!
F*** the admissions committe and lets start discussing something good, something "PHYSICS"!!
How about this?
RG wrote:garden,
your post is freaking funny dude!
I cant keep myself from laughing after reading ur post
take it easy!
It just doesnot MAKE any sense at all right from the very first sentence! hahaha
Can you help us to read your post, (plz!)
Jia wrote:People! where is this discussion going...
quizivex wrote:garden is a man of few words. that mind-boggling post is his only one besides a few he wrote back in october to find study partners.

we just may never know what the true meaning of his cerebral post was, and if we do, his reply may not come until well after our applications are complete and we have our acceptances/rejections. that is a big loss, since there was clearly something deep and insightful disguised behind a garbled menagerie of English words. i think all of our questions, not just those about admissions, but also about the fate of the universe and the war in Iraq, were answered while we slept on Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:14 am by garden.

I think, after intense examination, I have deciphered the meaning behind the third sentence. I think he was saying that qb;qub ;quib35 4qliu3 b5iluqu 35bvlqi tnl quio3tn;qni 3tqi;u34bt ql3iu.

but that is a guess based on several rash assumptions... so I encourage that if any of you are lucky enough to end up at the same graduate school as garden (assuming the TOEFL and GRE writing section don't thwart his plans), that you enlighten us less fortunate people with the true meaning of his epiphany. Thanks
schandre wrote:Quizivex's post on garden's post is awesome. hahaha

I believe I may have managed to find one of the many meanings behind garden's words.
The first and last sentences just look like a poor translation from Portuguese to English, however, the sentences in the middle make me seriously doubt it.
RG wrote:Hello Every body how are you all doing?

Actually,
I am only trying to give new life to this post, coz there have been a lot of exciting discussions going on on this post ranging from GRE scores to Ising model to garden's post and quizivex's sentiment!!
Have fun
quizivex wrote:yea we must immortalize this thread. it is epic.
but what the hell was that with all that q's, 3's and 5's!

"qb;qub ;quib35 4qliu3 b5iluqu 35bvlqi tnl quio3tn;qni 3tqi;u34bt ql3iu"

That was an attempted translation of garden's third sentence.

It is semantically equivalent to what he said because it too makes no sense at all and means absolutely nothing.

I now think his post was a clear reference to the ising model as T -> infinity...

That is, the entropy is a maximum, since I found after brute force analysis that no permutation of the order of garden's words makes any less sense than the one he so skillfully concocted.
sirjetpackbob wrote:I'm with quizivex. It's clear that garden has developed some sort of new grammatical tensor notation, able to compact the meaning of many paragraphs into a few brief, seemingly meaningless sentences. Perhaps we should all abandon our current research plans and instead dedicate our theses to unlocking the mysteries of garden's profound composition.
RG wrote:Similarly, for other people on this forum!! What does all our ID mean!!

In this regard, garden is very elucidating, coz garden means a garden, which is not as a big mystry as his post where he is actually answering my question on Ising model!! Amazin finding quizivex!
Please enligthen us with all our fancy IDs we have!
Thanks
RG wrote:hahahahaahah,
this is really getting funny,
sirjetpackbob,
you are very correct!
whenever I am on this forum, I always find myself reading garden's post at least once and try to understand what he exaclty meant!
This has been some sort of research project for me, at least!
hahahahaah but the funny thing is that his 4-5 sentences are way difficult than the tensor analysis I studied in my special relativity class when I was a sophomore(I nearly had a nervous breakdown)!
grae313 wrote:I offer up a translation of the first line of garden's post.

Original: "I would say that you guys should *** off the school with damn committee, which they put you guys down because of your GREs not over 90%."

Translation: "It's really lame that some schools have admissions committees that don't consider you a strong applicant if you score under a 90% on the physics GRE. I think you guys should tell those schools to *** off!"

Anyone want to take a stab at the rest?
RG wrote:hahahahahha,
good job Grae!

First sentence is done,
who is gonna take care of the rest! Not me!
nvanmeter wrote:last sentence means "my friend that applied to berkeley but didn't have all those high stats actually managed to get in"

as for the middle......
quizivex wrote:I'll take the last word...

By "Goodluck", I think he was trying to say "Good luck"

I think grae313's interpretation is debatable. garden seemed like he was telling us to "*** off" for some reason, rather than suggesting we should tell someone else to *** off.

I think getting a decisive interpretation is a lost cause. We physicists need to, however painful it is, agree that some problems are unsolvable. Our only hope is to bring in the hard core humanities grad students on this case. Otherwise, we're left to hope that whatever rare cosmological event would prompt garden to reply, happens in the near future.
grae313 wrote:no, no, no quizivex! He clearly tells us to "*** off the school"...
RG wrote:grae and quizivex,
In my opinion, garden was telling us and the damn commitee to *** off, not just us or the committee alone.
So let us just *** off from his way! Iam not sure if the admissions committee would agree with him though!!hahahah

I JUST cant read his second paragraph coz its full of "they", I am not sure who he was refering to!
twistor wrote:By 'they' I think he meant 'them.
RG wrote:yeah, true for fist few they, but quickly he refers to somebody else! hahahaha
i am just gonna "*** off" of his way for now, coz my SOP is not getiing anywhere!
twistor wrote:The other they is also 'them', just a different 'them.' His statement was so concise as to include the truth about all possible groups in one statement. Genius, pure genius.
butsurigakusha wrote:It looks like this thread has died.
RG wrote:NO,
IT will never die, until garden comes back and ask us to "kill' this thread. It will remain alive until that day!! No body can kill this thread without his order. Only garden can!

Garden appearing on this forum is a rare cosmological phenomenon(as quizivex mentioned). So let us be patient and keep our hope alive. One day he is gonna make his way to this forum and enlighten us with deep insight and spell out the meaning of his words!
Garden if you read this post, just ignore it, it is not worth reading for a true genius( twistor's idea) like you!

quizivex, where are you! I hope you found ur safety school!

Grae I thought u gonna help us to keep this thread alive! Have not u killed ur SOP yet?

Twistor are u with us!

See we have a crew here!

Let us "water"( I am not sure what exactly we need to give life to a discussion thread, but anyways I hope we all understand what I meant by "water") this thread and give a new life!
(Don "drown" it though )

guys I din find anything so I wrote that crap up!
Have fun!
quizivex wrote:There's no need to worry about this thread dying. It is firmly set at the top of the forum and probably will not be threatened until the next GRE test in April.

Regardless, it will still rest in our hearts forever. We will never forget how the most confusing part of our senior year experience was in fact not the physics GRE, not the general GRE, not the application process and not senior level physics courses, but instead some obscure philosophical comment about admissions made by a genius under the alias "garden."

I highly anticipate the return of garden, but I also worry the whole thing is a hoax. Have you considered the possibility that the post was a mere decoy from someone else on this forum in attempt to distract his "competitors" from focusing on their applications?

Yes, Jia seems suspicious since he started the thread in the first place, and grae313's incomplete "attempt" to decipher the post may be designed to throw us off into further confusion. (I'm totally kidding here, you both know that )

I've lost precious time working on my half-assed SOP because of this... (and also because I keep taking lots of naps and listening to music). My grad school hopes may have been ruined.

I think I'll worry about safety schools after my semester finishes and I have the 12/15 applications finished.

Till the return of garden,
quizivex
brothermalcolm wrote:@ quizivex , grae
oh boy did i laugh so hard at your discussion about the "debatable nature" of garden's first line...

@ quizivex
how i now feel like a complete and utter twat after you mentioned the dec 15 deadline apps that i should be giving my undivided attention to...
brothermalcolm wrote:@ RG

how many ppl play the game 'second life' btw ?
guguma wrote:This "garden" issue is pretty interesting and I offer my own translation for his/her mighty statements.

I think that you guys should *** the schools with stupid high demanding admission committees which immediatly pushes your application aside if your GRE subject percentage is below 90%.

They are doing this because they are so conservative. If they were all 90% sure and true about their decisions through their lives they would all win the NObel Prize. They would not even need to do physics, they would just become rich through an easy method of stock market deals in Wall Street, and then with all the money they got build up their own physics universe and convince everyone using the power of their riches.

I happen to have one friend who did not attend any GRE's and got accepted to Berkeley.

Good Luck to you all.

***Comments***

I felt like interpreting some holy book. Anyway s/he has good intentions and there is no need to be too hard on him. But his points do not make sense. The mechanism in which the world of physical sciences develop has changed a great deal as I have mentioned on my other post, there is nothing we can do about it. Money plays an important role now and it is no wonder why there are so many supersymmetry papers (purely mathematical mambo jambo) are published.
quizivex wrote:Garden, please come back, I've been hitting the refresh button on this page for the past 5 weeks just dying to be the first to witness your timely return.
mlaaa wrote:Hi Guys,
I've been reading the forum, and do appreciate the camaraderie amongst yourselves. It looks like you guys are very smart and have fun in the process.

In conclusion, the forum was never the same after the coming of garden.