Decision Dates

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

Aether73

Re: Decision Dates

Post by Aether73 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:18 pm

PathIntegrals92 wrote:
TakeruK wrote:
Aether73 wrote: It might be 510, but that combined with the GPA is still strange.
I don't think it's really that strange? Some people (like me) are just really really bad at tests like the PGRE but can get decent GPAs. I think 51 probably means 51st percentile, not 510. My own PGRE score was around that percentile too!
I'm not very good at tests either.

I'm just pointing out that combination of stats is just odd for Michigan Ann Arbor. It could be real? It's just that I've noticed fake stats on grad cafe before...
This is what I meant, the application was probably just outstanding in other ways.

Catria

Post by Catria » Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:24 pm

blackmass wrote:I hear you. I was also counting on my advisor and some of his connections, but it looks like it hasn't helped so far at all... I guess we'll see what happens in the next few weeks. Maybe I'll be surprised. Good luck to you! I really hope you hear some good news soon.
It's basically my only hope as far as UPenn is concerned, although UPenn only sent out a handful of offers at this point (likely more to come this week).

There's still Minnesota for me though.

gradapp2015

Post by gradapp2015 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:07 pm

Looks like this should be the big week for top schools to respond... Hopefully the snow doesn't make it hard for the Boston schools' adcoms to meet...

Catria

Post by Catria » Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:00 pm

UChicago astro rejections are now sent out... :(

instrument.santosh

Post by instrument.santosh » Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:34 am

is gradcafe site down? oh my ! i get server error. this breaks my daily ritual of checking it every hour ! :(

PS: havent heard from single school as of now. if nothing happens this week. i am sure to hav nervous break down

level1807

Post by level1807 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:36 am

instrument.santosh wrote:is gradcafe site down?
It is. :cry:

instrument.santosh

Post by instrument.santosh » Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:48 am

level1807 wrote:
It is up again ! :twisted:

deterministic devil

Post by deterministic devil » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:43 am

instrument.santosh wrote:
level1807 wrote:
It is up again ! :twisted:
Hi,
Did you apply for UW-Milwaukee?

instrument.santosh

Post by instrument.santosh » Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:18 pm

yup ! . did you apply too ? i actually got mail few days (5-6) ago saying it is under review !

blackmass

Post by blackmass » Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:08 pm

Anyone hear from Harvard astro? I only saw one person post on grad cafe, and that was almost two weeks ago.

deterministic devil

Post by deterministic devil » Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:17 pm

instrument.santosh wrote:yup ! . did you apply too ? i actually got mail few days (5-6) ago saying it is under review !
Me too. We should hear from them no later than next week. Wish you good luck.

YodaT

Post by YodaT » Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:18 pm

looks like Maryland-College Park sent out large number of acceptances.

PathIntegrals92

Post by PathIntegrals92 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:29 pm

SO far only 4/7 PhD schools I applied for have sent results and I heard back from two of them. I going to safely assume I got rejected from one of them and have no idea what to predict for the other.

Waiting for 3 Phds and 3 Master's eeeks.

Edit: Technically waiting for 5 PhDs, but I am assuming rejection from one of them. I am about 90% sure 8)

instrument.santosh

Post by instrument.santosh » Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:31 pm

deterministic devil wrote:
instrument.santosh wrote:yup ! . did you apply too ? i actually got mail few days (5-6) ago saying it is under review !
Me too. We should hear from them no later than next week. Wish you good luck.
Thank you ! wish you the same !.
PathIntegrals92 wrote:SO far only 4/7 PhD schools I applied for have sent results and I heard back from two of them. I going to safely assume I got rejected from one of them and have no idea what to predict for the other.

Waiting for 3 Phds and 3 Master's eeeks.

Edit: Technically waiting for 5 PhDs, but I am assuming rejection from one of them. I am about 90% sure 8)
ha ha ! i had applied to 10. haven't heard from a single one yet :cry: ! To add to it, i have my Country's PhD entrance exam lined up on 15th Feb. these waiting surely is not helping me keep focused ! -.-

One a different note, Are there any LSU applicants here ? i had applied by sending them an emailed application ( which is free for internationals) but saw in some 2014 post that they seldom take those applicants seriously (?) not that any of you here might know,just sharing my concerns ! :|

instrument.santosh

Post by instrument.santosh » Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:53 am

seems like cornell astro is sending acceptances

PS: heard back from LSU. seems like they have sent a first slot of acceptances yday and if needed second set would be sent in a months time, unfortunately i wasnt in that first list :( hard luck

PathIntegrals92

Post by PathIntegrals92 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:01 pm

Do a lot of people not apply to USC or UCLA? When you look these up on grad cafe, people rarely post acceptances.
However, I'm looking at Brown now and they have so many posts.

Maybe USC/UCLA do it in trickles or waves or something?

Edit: People do posts rejections by UCLA it seems...

flobadobadie

Post by flobadobadie » Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:42 pm

Have any international students who applied to Stony Brook received an email about 'Request your SBU Form I-20/DS-2019'? I haven't had an offer or rejection from them and have no idea what it means. I know that a one-eyed raven flying west on a night with a full moon is a good omen with regards getting an offer, but I'm having troubling interpreting this sign from the adcomm gods.

djh101

Post by djh101 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:57 pm

Rejected from Michigan. Oh well, at least they were nice about it. 28/541 admissions, so I guess that means they're done.

wompwomp

Post by wompwomp » Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:26 pm

flobadobadie wrote:Have any international students who applied to Stony Brook received an email about 'Request your SBU Form I-20/DS-2019'? I haven't had an offer or rejection from them and have no idea what it means. I know that a one-eyed raven flying west on a night with a full moon is a good omen with regards getting an offer, but I'm having troubling interpreting this sign from the adcomm gods.
I am an international, and I did not receive that email. There's some information here:
http://www.stonybrook.edu/commcms/visa/ ... s2019.html

I'm hoping this doesn't mean I was rejected. Sigh.

flobadobadie

Post by flobadobadie » Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:37 pm

wompwomp wrote:
I am an international, and I did not receive that email. There's some information here:
http://www.stonybrook.edu/commcms/visa/ ... s2019.html

I'm hoping this doesn't mean I was rejected. Sigh.
Don't worry, they probably just lost your application :p. Rereading the email it says "Access to request a Form I-20/DS-2019 in no way indicates an admission decision; you are simply allowed to start the request process. Visa and Immigration Services will not review requests for immigration documents until you are admitted and cleared by the appropriate admitting office (Undergraduate Admissions, the Graduate School, SPD, HSC, IAP)".

So it seems to mean nothing. I don't know why they'd send this before sending an admissions decision. I don't know why they'd send it to some international applicants but not others.

TakeruK

Post by TakeruK » Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:05 pm

I also got a DS-2019/I-20 request prior to admission decision at some schools. I think this is more common at giant schools where there are a lot of people. The office (International Office) that handles the DS-2019/I-20 stuff is a separate office from Graduate Admissions and from your department, so there is often little communication between these places at large schools. It is easier for the International Office to simply send out these DS-2019/I-20 information sheets independent from each department so that they don't have to coordinate with 100s of departments on who was admitted. Especially since each department has their own timelines for decisions!

deterministic devil

Post by deterministic devil » Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:35 pm

No more Cornell acceptance ll be out?

zeper

Post by zeper » Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:04 pm

djh101 wrote:Rejected from Michigan. Oh well, at least they were nice about it. 28/541 admissions, so I guess that means they're done.
I havent recieve neither rejection nor acceptance...or waitlist notice...
is this a good thing or bad thing? shoul I send mail to graduate office about my status?
541/28......waovvv...it is really challenge!

djh101

Post by djh101 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:22 pm

zeper wrote:
djh101 wrote:Rejected from Michigan. Oh well, at least they were nice about it. 28/541 admissions, so I guess that means they're done.
is this a good thing or bad thing? shoul I send mail to graduate office about my status?
Maybe wait until tomorrow. According to Grad Cafe, today seems to be Michigan mass rejection day.

PathIntegrals92

Post by PathIntegrals92 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:20 pm

I wish most schools followed Michigan's path and rejected people sooner ( if they are sure to not get in). It safes a lot of panicking and stuff.

If a school says not to bother them about why the rejection, I would respect that...

Sats

Post by Sats » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:43 pm

Duke sent a wave of responses out early this morning.
Thumbs down on my end, but I hope someone else got in!
I'm glad they let me know early on.

slowdweller

Post by slowdweller » Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:02 pm

Sats wrote:Duke sent a wave of responses out early this morning.
Thumbs down on my end, but I hope someone else got in!
I'm glad they let me know early on.
I'm neither in nor out yet... Did they send an email with the decision or an email telling you to check the website?

RonaldoMcDonaldo

Post by RonaldoMcDonaldo » Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:05 pm

UCLA sent out a bunch of acceptances.
Last edited by RonaldoMcDonaldo on Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

loser2winner

Post by loser2winner » Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:25 pm

Thought i got my third rejection today. :x
Yes. Hope this is a signal of non-rejection. :cry:
flobadobadie wrote:Have any international students who applied to Stony Brook received an email about 'Request your SBU Form I-20/DS-2019'? I haven't had an offer or rejection from them and have no idea what it means. I know that a one-eyed raven flying west on a night with a full moon is a good omen with regards getting an offer, but I'm having troubling interpreting this sign from the adcomm gods.

Catria

Post by Catria » Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:25 am

UPenn's only offers have been in HEP-EX at this time, judging from the entries in PhysicsGRE.com; is that normal that one subfield sends out the offers long before the others do?
They aim to have 28 matriculants, but if other top-20s are any indication, Michigan needs to send out 70-80 offers to get that many to matriculate, regardless of whether any of them will actually try to buy any of the ridiculously cheap houses in Detroit (as I would have, were I a Michigan matriculant; I even tried to advertise, at my undergrad, Michigan and Wayne State as schools where one can, during a PhD, become a homeowner long before dissertation defense, while living on a PhD stipend)

level1807

Post by level1807 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:37 am

I got an offer from Stony Brook on January 23d, and now I got the email about I-20. However, there is an important note:

"Access to request a Form I-20/DS-2019 in no way indicates an admission decision; you are simply allowed to start the request process. Visa and Immigration Services will not review requests for immigration documents until you are admitted and cleared by the appropriate admitting office (Undergraduate Admissions, the Graduate School, SPD, HSC, IAP)."

PathIntegrals92

Post by PathIntegrals92 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:38 am

did anyone get admitted to UCLA that is not hep-ex/th? other than the one plasma beam person, most of the posters indicated high energy.

instrument.santosh

Post by instrument.santosh » Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:12 pm

has anyone heard from Hawaii ? saw a string of acceptances during mid-end jan. no rejects. judging from previous years' pattern, they send out rejection too by the same time. i haven't hear from them atall ! :?
should i like contact them and ask? i always fear i would get rejection if i mail em and ask :oops:

shep23

Post by shep23 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:19 pm

It's not even mid February yet, relax. If it's mid-march and you still haven't heard anything then yes, you can contact them. But best case scenario for contacting them now is hearing news you'd hear soon anyway, and worst case is that you annoy them.

Go for a walk or listen to music or something

wompwomp

Post by wompwomp » Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:39 pm

level1807 wrote:
I got an offer from Stony Brook on January 23d, and now I got the email about I-20. However, there is an important note:

"Access to request a Form I-20/DS-2019 in no way indicates an admission decision; you are simply allowed to start the request process. Visa and Immigration Services will not review requests for immigration documents until you are admitted and cleared by the appropriate admitting office (Undergraduate Admissions, the Graduate School, SPD, HSC, IAP)."
I also got that email late last night yesterday. At this point, I am confident they sent it out to all their international applicants (and some others...).

instrument.santosh

Post by instrument.santosh » Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:43 pm

shep23 wrote:It's not even mid February yet, relax. If it's mid-march and you still haven't heard anything then yes, you can contact them. But best case scenario for contacting them now is hearing news you'd hear soon anyway, and worst case is that you annoy them.

Go for a walk or listen to music or something
thank thee. i guess i should just calm myself and stay the hell out of gradcafe for few weeks :cry:

zeper

Post by zeper » Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:53 pm

djh101 wrote:
zeper wrote:
Maybe wait until tomorrow. According to Grad Cafe, today seems to be Michigan mass rejection day.
I checked that I applied to astrophysics-astonomy department not physics directly , it might be the case...but my friend told me if I had a any missing document, they might have not even evaluated me...I dont know. I am checking the gradcafe...all michigan results is PHYSICS 15... no astronomy option. I hope that is the case....

Strange_Beauty

Post by Strange_Beauty » Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:37 pm

here is an end to the Stony Brook Confusion:
"The Visa office accidentally sent visa application requests to all applicants including US citizens. Please ignore this request unless you are an international student and have received an admission offer which you have decided to accept.

My apologies for the confusion,"

level1807 wrote:

slowdweller

Post by slowdweller » Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:42 pm

Caltech has started sending out offers. Didn't receive anything so far :(

Anyone get into hep-th?

astro_orion

Post by astro_orion » Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:54 pm

UC Riverside apparently sent out at least one acceptance yesterday... haven't got one yet. I just want to be in sunny California :(

PathIntegrals92

Post by PathIntegrals92 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:02 pm

astro_orion wrote:UC Riverside apparently sent out at least one acceptance yesterday... haven't got one yet. I just want to be in sunny California :(
I hope you do!

I predict that I won't end up in sunny California :/

djh101

Post by djh101 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:08 pm

slowdweller wrote:Caltech has started sending out offers. Didn't receive anything so far :(

Anyone get into hep-th?
There's a HEPT on Grad Cafe. Damn it, Caltech, you couldn't send the rejections out at the same time as the acceptances? :x
astro_orion wrote:UC Riverside apparently sent out at least one acceptance yesterday... haven't got one yet. I just want to be in sunny California :(
Sunny California? One of the things I'm most looking forward to is getting away from these 100° summers.

slowdweller

Post by slowdweller » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:10 pm

djh101 wrote:
slowdweller wrote:Caltech has started sending out offers. Didn't receive anything so far :(

Anyone get into hep-th?
There's a HEPT on Grad Cafe. Damn it, Caltech, you couldn't send the rejections out at the same time as the acceptances? :x
Yup seems like a mass acceptance as opposed to area dependent. FUUUKKKKK...

deterministic devil

Post by deterministic devil » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:15 pm

So far, 9 offers from Cornell. Is anybody else waiting to hear from Cornell? Any predictions when will they send out offers again?

PathIntegrals92

Post by PathIntegrals92 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:31 pm

Penn State has started to send offers. Officially all the schools I have applied to have sent offers. At least 2/7 =)

Hoping for the best, but expecting the worst from the rest.

croth1992

Post by croth1992 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:47 pm

Rejected from Maryland and Washington (Probably). Still a chance at Austin/Boulder/Yale?

entropy19

Post by entropy19 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:03 pm

Seems like Stanford also sent out acceptances and I didn't get it..
Would there be a second round of acceptances? Should I have a hope or not.. Damn Stan was my dream school.. :x

slowdweller

Post by slowdweller » Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:09 pm

entropy19 wrote:Seems like Stanford also sent out acceptances and I didn't get it..
Would there be a second round of acceptances? Should I have a hope or not.. Damn Stan was my dream school.. :twisted:
I really hope Stanford and Caltech will send out a second round... Otherwise it would be extremely shitty.

But statistically it doesn't look good, cause gradcafe already has about 10 acceptances for Stanford and about 12 for Caltech. And I doubt that more than 20% of people who get accepted post on gradcafe. So with that estimate I would guess most offers for Caltech are sent out, and maybe Stanford has a few left :x

djh101

Post by djh101 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:13 pm

Maybe Caltech made a horrible mistake and sent the acceptance mass email to everyone on the rejection list. 8)

slowdweller

Post by slowdweller » Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:16 pm

djh101 wrote:Maybe Caltech made a horrible mistake and sent the acceptance mass email to everyone on the rejection list. 8)
First stage of grief is always denial :P