Nov 3rd Scores out

• If you want to know something about the GRE subject test in physics then chances are you will find it in here.
  • If something about the physics GRE it isn't already discussed in here then please put it in here.

garden

Post by garden » Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:14 am

I would say that you guys should *** off the school with damn committee, which they put you guys down because of your GREs not over 90%.

Why? because they are so conservative! if they know they are 90% sure what they are doing, they would all win Nobel prize! Even they do not need to do physics for MIT, Harvard, Stanford, Princeton, etc. they can go t o the Wall street and put some money on the market and get whatever they want and build their own physics which they want it to be.

I have one friend, last year he applied to Berkeley, he did not have both GRE general and subject score, but the committe can not reject this guy.

Goodluck

quizivex

Post by quizivex » Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:04 am

*tries to read the last post*

*shrugs his shoulders*

*tries one last time*

*shakes his head*

*waves white flag*

huh?

geomar

Post by geomar » Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:52 am

RG, I think you are getting carried away with your generalization on the admissions process. Certainly so if you are including domestic students in your description.

Of course, all my info comes from professors at my university but:
Not all admissions committee members look at the same thing.
One prof for example:
- looks at GRE score - wants scores ~high 70%'s for domestic and ~high 80%'s for international applicants. But doesn't necessarily throw it out of its below those numbers - looks through grades and then a reasonably large amount of the basis for judgment comes from research exp/letters. However, he does appear to stress GRE more than some other profs.

Another Prof- checks grades are "reasonable", then goes straight to research experience and wants to see that if the student had opportunities at his school - he took advantage of them. If he could not, then looks for trying to do summer REU's/independent projects. Then if the kid did research - checks letter of recs to see what the PI said about the research. He doesn't specifically care about a publication, but rather the recommender's description of the involvement/understanding of research. He did mention that if he is familiar with the work of the recommender/knows him, he often takes the recommendation to have more worth. He doesn't care too much about GRE score.

There are people with below 70% GRE (heard of 64%) scores who get into Stanford. Certainly these are exceptions, but you can get in without perfect scores with other strong points in your app.

You are simplifying the admissions process too much - a computer could basically do admissions with your system. That's not how it works, people with not only perfect scores get it. On the flip side, a 990 with a publication is no ticket into the school, either.

This is to most people who are wondering if they should bother applying to certain reach schools (especially Grae, who I think has an awesome app):
Apply to your reach schools, you might just get in. Especially if the application cost is not too much of a burden.

As a side note: I don't know how much a Nobel Prize winner's rec is worth over some other famous/top faculty member at a school/researcher. Of the Nobel Prize winning profs I have met, I personally wouldn't take their word over most professors at my school.

As for Garden ... I don't mean to ridicule you for the incoherency of your post, as I am sure you are not a native English speaker, but I share quizivex's sentiment.

fermiboy

Post by fermiboy » Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:11 am

Well said, geomar.

cancelled20080417

Post by cancelled20080417 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:17 am

@garden,
your post is awesome( I am not ridiculing ok, please take it easy)
Every time i try to read your post, i cant help it. :lol:
What were you trying to tell us?

You are def. not a native Eng speaker!! But its okay!
Keep posting!!
Amazing post though, sometime we shud have post like this that blows up people mind!

Look at quizivex, he got 990 PGRE, 770 verbal and he is finding it hard to read your post! Awesome,hahahahah, quizivex, please don mind, i am only trying to be funny!
Everytime i visit the post, people are talking the same ***,
I have this score, I am applying here and there , chances and all that crap!
HEllO, NOBODY KNOWS, okay!!

Lets all have fun guys! Apply to as many schools as we can, and then just chill OUT!! Have fun guys and girls! Have fun! Physics is for fun not for stressing out!
what really surprises me is that Americans are stressing out more on these kind of admissions thing! what the heck! I mean, you guys have your HOME to stay,study and do all kind of ***! you have the money, if u don get in now, you get in to all those top places next time! 1 yr, so WHAT! Its your country!
Look at us! I am chilling out, although i am not in my homecountry!
JUS take it easy guys!
YOU ALL, and we all WILL DO FINE!
F*** the admissions committe and lets start discussing something good, something "PHYSICS"!!
How about this?

tomar

Post by tomar » Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:45 am

Hey all,

Hope everyones applications are going well, physics sure is crazy. This is another "What are my chances" post. I'd like your honest opinions.

Major: Applied Math (+ Business .. double major)
GPA: 89% overall, 93% Math/Physics (A and A+ respectively - Canadian School)
International - from Canada
GRE Quantitative: 800 (94% percentile)
GRE Verbal: 530 (68%)
GRE Analytical 4.5 (54%)
GRE Physics 920 (91%)
GRE Math Subject test 820 (91%) - took it to help my chances
Letters of rec - expecting good ones, but not amazing
No publications
One term of industrial research - not physics related (computer algorithms)

My concerns are that I am not a physics major, and an international student. Most importantly, my lack of research is scaring me!

Should I mention my Business double major? should I stress it? Or will they view that as a sign of "lack of focus"?

Do I have a decent chance at:
- Berkeley
- MIT
- Caltech
- Princeton
- UCLA

Your opinions are much appreciated.

Peace
Last edited by tomar on Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

geomar

Post by geomar » Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:46 am

There I can agree with you RG! I am stressing out way too much with the process, and its not helping in any way! I just need to get my applications done, send them in, and not worry anymore.

geomar

Post by geomar » Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:16 am

Tomar, here is my honest opinion:

Warning: rather blunt reply
You are applying to a very selective bunch of schools. Do you have a non negligible chance of getting into each of those schools? Probably. But as we have heard millions of times, it is notoriously tough to get in as an international student.
Your grades are great, your physics GRE is good, but your lack of physics research isn't going to do you any favors. I don't think the fact you aren't a physics major is too big a deal, but I imagine it would be better if you were.

Bottom line:
Caltech, Princeton, MIT and Cal Berkeley are going to be very hard to get into. UCLA I am not as sure about, but I don't believe its a sure shot.

If those were the only 5 schools you are applying to, and you are dead set on starting your phD next year, I would add a safer school or 2, as I think its possible for you to not be accepted at all 5 of your schools.

If those are the only places where you would want to do a phD, then you should only apply there.

I am sorry if I come off as harsh or offensive, but this is my (certainly non-expert) opinion.

Your business double major should be mentioned, but I don't know if it should be stressed. I personally don't think so - but that seems like a good question for one of your physics professors.

vicente

Post by vicente » Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:35 pm

Very few international students get into the UC's, so I wouldn't expect you to have a good chance with UCLA either.

What physics courses have you taken?

nvanmeter

Post by nvanmeter » Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:10 pm

after reading some of your posts, i get the impression that there are drastically different standards put on international students than those on domestic ones for applying to the same grad school. does this imply that a certain number of spots are dedicated to each and thus that no domestic student is "against" an international one in the app process?

also, anyone know about how many total students take the physics gre on a given test date?

grae313

Post by grae313 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:42 pm

Thanks, geomar!!

mamal

Post by mamal » Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:57 pm

Hi guys!

I am a Mechanical Engineering major with

GRE Math: 680/890 (63%)
GRE General (V/Q/AW): 550/800/4
TOEFL: 647
GPA: 3.83
One published research paper - 6 submitted journal papers

Any hope for Applied Math at Brown ? I asked the question in the math forum but no one answered me! By the way I am ready to take another subject test if necessary!
Pliz Answer me :D I need it

By the way I also agree in F***ing ETS!

tomar

Post by tomar » Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:27 pm

Hey

Thanks for your honesty geomar, really appreciate it! Yeah I know I'm applying to a very selective bunch, I am even reconsidering UCLA. The other ones I am applying to will probably be in Canada. I'm thinking if I go to the states, and pay international fees, it might as well be for a top of the line school.

I'm also applying to the following in Canada
McGill
UofT
UBC
Waterloo

The general impression I get from you guys is that to be admitted to the top schools as an international student, you need to be a killer applicant, perfect GRE, perfect grades, and awesome research. But Caltech for instance says average GRE is 880.

As nvanmeter said, Are standards really that different for local and international? Are there preallocated seats?

@ vicente, I took
mechanics, waves and heat 1 & 2
Electromagnetism
Mechanics and Special Relativity
Fluid Mechanics

Next term will take
Quantum Mechanics
Quantum Computing
General Relativity.

I figure that should be a pretty solid physics background given all the math courses I have taken, and my physics knowledge from other sources.
Peace

cancelled20080417

Post by cancelled20080417 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:44 pm

"As nvanmeter said, Are standards really that different for local and international? Are there preallocated seats? "

I CAN BET, YOU WILL NOT GET A CORRECT ANSWER TO YOUR QUESTION ON THIS FORUM!! :wink:
WE are in the same boat as you are!! So it is not worth asking!

One last question to nvanmeter, just out of curiosity:

Was the whole idea on that paper YOURS, or did you jus join some research group in your University! What is the meaning of being a FIRST AUTHOR! I just don get it! I hope this does not mean just writing a paper, in your case.
Last edited by cancelled20080417 on Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

will

Post by will » Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:08 pm

First author means that you conducted the research and wrote the paper. It doesn't mean that you didn't have any help, or that you discovered the problem and, like Planck, just pulled the solution from the heavens. What it does mean is that you were the creative force behind the work; not a number cruncher being thrown a bone.

quizivex

Post by quizivex » Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:15 pm

right, so when grad schools say they like applicants that have publications, does that mean a real first authored original work (an unreasonable expectation, as someone on this forum already pointed out), or just having your name somewhere in the list, as in (you cleaned the damn lenses haha)?

will

Post by will » Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:53 pm

Well obviously a first authored original work is nice, and actually tends to be expected of top applicants. Something to consider though is just because research is independent doesn't mean it's good. Good research experience even as a lens cleaner is better than none at all.

twistor

Post by twistor » Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:56 pm

RG: If what you say isn't true it's no wonder that people are disagreeing with you.

cancelled20080417

Post by cancelled20080417 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:14 pm

twistor, your r right, I said somethin crappy there, so i am pulling that out!
I only meant no one is able to give a correct ans to tomar or nvanmeter, coz we all ar students NOT the admission committee!!

@Will,
what do you mean by conducting a research?

just writing a paper is like cleaning lenes, quizivex u r correct, i agree with you!
JUST tacking a name on the list of 10 people will not help!! WEll, in this case LOR is MORE valuable than the paper!!!!

I did not mean to offend or discourage anybody !! please understand this!

( why the hell do we have to be so freakin formal everytime, Always I have to say and read sorry and plz, I jus don get it! Are not we ALL UNDERGRADS HERE!

Here is a message:

we are not trying to hurt anybody, and we are only discussing, with no evil intention!!! So STOP making wrong interpretation out of these words! I am fed up saying and reading PLZ and Sorry everytime! If you think I am blunt, then jus F*** off)

xdebugger

Post by xdebugger » Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:04 pm

wow.. this discussion is really getting heated.
I think none of us has absolutely better idea on how good our chances are than any other. All I can say that it is always good to have a few safety schools and a few top notch schools where they do stuff that are you are interested in, no matter how strong/weak your gpa, gre, rec, research are. I mean, there is nothing you can do about these now. Just chill out.
Well one last thing i can do is to write a better ps. Im working on that now. imo its probably not going to matter very much. we are all going to say the same sorts of things on it.
i hope the best of luck to everybody on this forum, and myself. (fingers crossed)
btw, im applying to
princeton, harvard, berkeley, stanford, caltech, mit, ucsb, washington-seatle, uc davis, johns hopkins.

nvanmeter

Post by nvanmeter » Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:15 pm

i agree with will - that is, that a first authorship implies that you conducted the research and wrote the paper...not necessarily that you thought up the project on your own. in my own case, i joined a research group and the main professor gave me a problem to work on and a postdoc to ask any questions to when i didn't understand something. at the end of the day, i solved the problem and wrote up the results, and thus (even though i wasn't expecting it) they told me to put myself as first author and submit the paper to PRL. i certainly wasn't alone in the research, which is why i am not the SOLE author.

a sole authorship would be DAMN impressive, if not impossible, for an undergrad. i mean, certainly you couldn't do it in experimental physics, as you wouldn't have your own lab. and in theoretical physics, i guess it's possible, but quite unlikely that you would have the judgment and knowledge to choose a problem worth researching.

as for what a grad school wants when they say "publication" i believe they want anything (even if your the 10th name in a list) but that they would look more favorably upon a first authorship. the simple reason for this is that most research experiences will result in a publication of some kind, so it's kind of obvious that if you did an REU, your name is on some published paper somewhere...however, if you were the first author on a paper, then the paper itself is a writing sample from you, so they might actually look it up and read a bit of it - and if it's published somewhere real (like not an undergrad journal) it might actually mean that you're smart, not that your professor's smart.

cancelled20080417

Post by cancelled20080417 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:42 pm

nvanmeter,
okay, so you are saying that the paper was not ur idea, but the SOLUTION to the problem you have on ur paper is YOUR OWN and IT WAS NOT the idea of the postdoc or ur Professor right!
cool

cancelled20080417

Post by cancelled20080417 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:51 pm

garden,
your post is freaking funny dude!
I cant keep myself from laughing after reading ur post :lol:
take it easy! :lol:
It just doesnot MAKE any sense at all right from the very first sentence! hahaha
Can you help us to read your post, (plz!)
Last edited by cancelled20080417 on Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jia

Post by Jia » Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:53 pm

People! where is this discussion going...

quizivex

Post by quizivex » Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:59 pm

garden is a man of few words. that mind-boggling post is his only one besides a few he wrote back in october to find study partners.

we just may never know what the true meaning of his cerebral post was, and if we do, his reply may not come until well after our applications are complete and we have our acceptances/rejections. that is a big loss, since there was clearly something deep and insightful disguised behind a garbled menagerie of English words. i think all of our questions, not just those about admissions, but also about the fate of the universe and the war in Iraq, were answered while we slept on Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:14 am by garden.

I think, after intense examination, I have deciphered the meaning behind the third sentence. I think he was saying that qb;qub ;quib35 4qliu3 b5iluqu 35bvlqi tnl quio3tn;qni 3tqi;u34bt ql3iu.

but that is a guess based on several rash assumptions... so I encourage that if any of you are lucky enough to end up at the same graduate school as garden (assuming the TOEFL and GRE writing section don't thwart his plans), that you enlighten us less fortunate people with the true meaning of his epiphany. Thanks
Last edited by quizivex on Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cancelled20080417

Post by cancelled20080417 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:00 pm

Jia,
Its right there!!

cancelled20080417

Post by cancelled20080417 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:19 pm

quizivex,
hahahaha, funny!
but what the hell was that with all that q's, 3's and 5's!
hahaha
very funny!

schandre

Post by schandre » Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:37 am

Quizivex's post on garden's post is awesome. hahaha

I believe I may have managed to find one of the many meanings behind garden's words.
The first and last sentences just look like a poor translation from Portuguese to English, however, the sentences in the middle make me seriously doubt it.

cancelled20080417

jus tryin to give a new life to this post

Post by cancelled20080417 » Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:03 pm

Hello Every body how are you all doing?
:lol:
Actually,
I am only trying to give new life to this post, coz there have been a lot of exciting discussions going on on this post ranging from GRE scores to Ising model to garden's post and quizivex's sentiment!!
Have fun

quizivex

Post by quizivex » Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:56 pm

yea we must immortalize this thread. it is epic.
but what the hell was that with all that q's, 3's and 5's!
"qb;qub ;quib35 4qliu3 b5iluqu 35bvlqi tnl quio3tn;qni 3tqi;u34bt ql3iu"

That was an attempted translation of garden's third sentence.

It is semantically equivalent to what he said because it too makes no sense at all and means absolutely nothing.

I now think his post was a clear reference to the ising model as T -> infinity...

That is, the entropy is a maximum, since I found after brute force analysis that no permutation of the order of garden's words makes any less sense than the one he so skillfully concocted.

sirjetpackbob

Post by sirjetpackbob » Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:18 pm

I'm with quizivex. It's clear that garden has developed some sort of new grammatical tensor notation, able to compact the meaning of many paragraphs into a few brief, seemingly meaningless sentences. Perhaps we should all abandon our current research plans and instead dedicate our theses to unlocking the mysteries of garden's profound composition.

cancelled20080417

Post by cancelled20080417 » Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:24 pm

quizivex,
u r hilarious too! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

One think I really wanted to know! what is it behind all our fancy IDs that we have? :idea:
What does our ID mean?
In my case,
RG= renormalization group

Quizivex what does your mean?

I only know the meaning of vex= annoy
quizical ( imaginary, may be) but what does quizivex mean!
I don get it !
Similarly, for other people on this forum!! What does all our ID mean!!

In this regard, garden is very elucidating, coz garden means a garden, which is not as a big mystry as his post where he is actually answering my question on Ising model!! Amazin finding quizivex!
Please enligthen us with all our fancy IDs we have!
Thanks

cancelled20080417

Post by cancelled20080417 » Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:30 pm

hahahahaahah,
this is really getting funny,
sirjetpackbob,
you are very correct!
whenever I am on this forum, I always find myself reading garden's post at least once and try to understand what he exaclty meant!
This has been some sort of research project for me, at least!
hahahahaah but the funny thing is that his 4-5 sentences are way difficult than the tensor analysis I studied in my special relativity class when I was a sophomore(I nearly had a nervous breakdown)!

cancelled20080417

Post by cancelled20080417 » Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:38 pm

Can anybody explain it to me what exactly we mean by CONDUCTING A RESEARCH? What are the steps involved in conducting a research? I am TOTALLY CONFUSED! :?
Thank you.
Last edited by cancelled20080417 on Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

butsurigakusha

Post by butsurigakusha » Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:40 pm

mine means physicist in Japanese

cancelled20080417

Post by cancelled20080417 » Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:41 pm

are u from Japan!

butsurigakusha

Post by butsurigakusha » Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:08 pm

No, but I have lived there and studied Japanese.

will

Post by will » Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:12 pm

Just my name.

... Or maybe something more?

cancelled20080417

Post by cancelled20080417 » Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:10 pm

http://alumnus.caltech.edu/~natalia/stu ... amples.htm

HOW MANY OF US WILL HAVE AN SOP better( if not, as good as) than the one posted on the above link!!

Check out and have fun reading!!!

cancelled20080417

Post by cancelled20080417 » Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:43 pm

DO any of you know The Ohio State's application deadline?

quizivex

Post by quizivex » Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:59 pm

I've seen some of those SOPs before. Although they're not written too well, I assume they get in cuz they've been doing research and winning awards since age 5. I always feel like I've started a lifetime too late. It seems impossible to get anywhere in science if you don't start long before freshman year of college.

Quizivex is a word I made up when I was younger. I just was trying to make up a reasonable sounding word that had the 4 rare letters Z, X, V and Q in it.

vicente

Post by vicente » Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:04 pm

@ RG:

http://www.physics.ohio-state.edu/grad/ ... ctions.pdf

says that it's January 15

My screenname is the Spanish version of my actual name: Vince

cancelled20080417

Post by cancelled20080417 » Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:14 pm

yeah thats what I was thinking!( Jan 15) but i found that it was NOV 30!
fellowship deadline!
I do not know what to do, it was my safety school for CMT!

grae313

Post by grae313 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:09 am

grae is a nickname, 313 was an important day in my life

RG, why are you always asking what research is?! We keep answering you, and you keep asking. If you are so curious, why don't you go join a research group in addition to your independent research and find out what it is all about! :wink:

cancelled20080417

Post by cancelled20080417 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:18 am

Grae
Do I sound like that international student ( I guess he was from Portugal or India,I'm not quite sure) who used to come to the forum and keep asking what GRE was? hahahaha. That was hilarious!

Sorry for my stupid question.
I am thinking of joining one soon in the fall! :wink: :wink:

grae313

Post by grae313 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:18 am

I offer up a translation of the first line of garden's post.

Original: "I would say that you guys should *** off the school with damn committee, which they put you guys down because of your GREs not over 90%."

Translation: "It's really lame that some schools have admissions committees that don't consider you a strong applicant if you score under a 90% on the physics GRE. I think you guys should tell those schools to *** off!"

Anyone want to take a stab at the rest?

cancelled20080417

Post by cancelled20080417 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:11 am

hahahahahha,
good job Grae!

First sentence is done,
who is gonna take care of the rest! Not me!

nvanmeter

Post by nvanmeter » Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:53 am

last sentence means "my friend that applied to berkeley but didn't have all those high stats actually managed to get in"

as for the middle......

quizivex

Post by quizivex » Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:20 am

I'll take the last word...

By "Goodluck", I think he was trying to say "Good luck"

I think grae313's interpretation is debatable. garden seemed like he was telling us to "*** off" for some reason, rather than suggesting we should tell someone else to *** off.

I think getting a decisive interpretation is a lost cause. We physicists need to, however painful it is, agree that some problems are unsolvable. Our only hope is to bring in the hard core humanities grad students on this case. Otherwise, we're left to hope that whatever rare cosmological event would prompt garden to reply, happens in the near future.

grae313

Post by grae313 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:57 am

no, no, no quizivex! He clearly tells us to "*** off the school"...