International Student Looking for a Physics PhD in Biophysic

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

jlam

International Student Looking for a Physics PhD in Biophysic

Post by jlam » Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:35 am

Hi there.
I am an international student looking for a PhD in the field of biophysics.
While I majored in physics in undergrad, I am considering applying to chemistry departments.
My situation is kinda tricky, here I will explain it:
I have some researches experience, but I did not perform extremely well in all of them.
The best one I did is in UC Berkeley, Chemistry Department. And my supervisor there would write a good letter.
Also I performed very well in the Abstract algebra class in UC Berkeley, and he was so nice to me and agree to write to letter.
At last, I have met a physics senior lecture in my home university for four years and he knows my personality well. He can write me about my vitality but may not be able to comment on my research ability so much.
Here is the tricky part.
My Chem Prof. did suggest me applying to chem program, because he think the physics guys may not know him.
I guess his letter will be the strongest among the three, but still, my combination of letters are kinda complicated.
Do you think I will have a slightly better chance to be admitted through the Chem Dept. than the Phy Dept?

FYI, my profile is provided:
Undergrad Institution: Good school in Hong Kong, negligible ranking in physics
Major(s): physics
Minor(s):
GPA in Major: 3.5x
Overall GPA: 3.4x
Length of Degree: 4
Position in Class: top 10%
Type of Student: International

GRE Scores : revised
Q: 170
V: 158
W: 3.0
P: 970

TOEFL Total: 102

Research Experience:
current: independent project on nonextensive stat mech
junior year: order parameter of water
sophomore: object recognition, computer vision analytics
freshman summer astroparticles

Awards/Honors/Recognitions:
some scholarships

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: private math and physics tutor

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: NA

Special Bonus Points: NA

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter:
One of the member in the Berkeley research group just become a prof in Chicago. He seems like me and want me to be his student

Applying to Where:

MIT
Columbia
Stanford
Harvard
Chicago
chicago
UCB
UCSB
UCSD
U penn
marryland
stony brook
duke
ohio state
notre dame
Emory

Catria

Re: International Student Looking for a Physics PhD in Biophysic

Post by Catria » Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:39 am

You may cut UCSB, although there is UChicago and there is UIC; are you applying to both UChicago and University of Illinois at Chicago (UIC)? If you're applying to the latter, then UIC is your safety.