How is UC Davis for HEP-theory?

physicsversed

How is UC Davis for HEP-theory?

Post by physicsversed » Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:11 pm

I hope this is the right place to ask. I was looking at the UC Davis graduate program for HEP-theory, It looks good, but I would like to hear about the experience of someone that studied there. Also, how does it compare to other universities: how does it compare to other UC institutes for HEP-theory? I am pretty sure that UC Berkely and then UCSB are at the top, but not sure about the rest.

And how does it compare to non-UC institutes in HEP-theory? Do you think it is the same level as, for example, Wisconsin-Madison?

PathIntegrals92

Re: How is UC Davis for HEP-theory?

Post by PathIntegrals92 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:34 pm

They are building their group ( I mean they have one, but I am saying that the program is getting stronger).
physicsversed wrote: Also, how does it compare to other universities: how does it compare to other UC institutes for HEP-theory? I am pretty sure that UC Berkely and then UCSB are at the top, but not sure about the rest.

And how does it compare to non-UC institutes in HEP-theory? Do you think it is the same level as, for example, Wisconsin-Madison?
W-M is pretty good for hep-phenomenology, if you are interested in that.

As to how it compares to the other UCs/other schools, it really depends on what kind of research you want to do. If it's string theory, then I don't think Davis is that strong for that. UCSD is also good, although I think it is more well known for condensed matter.

EDIT: I'm actually still applying but my advisors are HEP-Theorists.

physicsversed

Post by physicsversed » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:20 pm

Thanks for the answer. I am mainly interested in physics beyond the standard model and dark matter. How do you compare it to Irvine, Santa Cruz and San Diego in this area?

PathIntegrals92

Post by PathIntegrals92 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:46 pm

physicsversed wrote:Thanks for the answer. I am mainly interested in physics beyond the standard model and dark matter. How do you compare it to Irvine, Santa Cruz and San Diego in this area?
I do not know anything about Santa Cruz, sorry. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will reply to you.

To me UC-Irvine's group seems pretty good in physics beyond standard model, however I cannot give a comparison because I am having trouble accessing UCSD HET-faculty pages.
http://het.ucsd.edu/HET/Home.html

I suggest that you look at the faculty research pages and pick the schools where you have the most interest. That's what counts anyways.

bfollinprm

Post by bfollinprm » Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:37 am

I'd rank the UC's for HEP-TH as

Santa Barbara
Berkeley
UCLA

then a tie between San Diego and Davis. If you include cosmology theory, I'd move Davis to third.

Full disclosure--I go to Davis. I do cosmology theory, but I'm somewhat familiar with HEP-TH here--feel free to ask me any specific questions you might have. Pathintegrals is right in that we're building our program; we're hiring 4 new faculty as part of a fundamental questions initiative between Math and Physics that's a showpiece program for the dean of graduate studies. This is building on strengths we already have in string theory, quantum gravity, physics beyond the standard model, and cosmology.

physicsversed

Post by physicsversed » Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:15 pm

PathIntegrals92 and bfollinprm, thank you for your answers.
I have two questions related to the admission: First, if I prefer a specific UC campus, but apply also to others as a backup, does it decrease my chances of getting accepted into my preferred campus? (my thought was that perhaps the UC campuses share information, and if I apply to several programs then they would decide to which of them they prefer to accept me. or are they completely independent?)

And second - do all UC campuses make interviews? including UC Davis? (I heard that Berkeley, Santa Barbara and Santa Cruz do)

PathIntegrals92

Post by PathIntegrals92 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:12 pm

physicsversed wrote:PathIntegrals92 and bfollinprm, thank you for your answers.
I have two questions related to the admission: First, if I prefer a specific UC campus, but apply also to others as a backup, does it decrease my chances of getting accepted into my preferred campus? (my thought was that perhaps the UC campuses share information, and if I apply to several programs then they would decide to which of them they prefer to accept me. or are they completely independent?)

And second - do all UC campuses make interviews? including UC Davis? (I heard that Berkeley, Santa Barbara and Santa Cruz do)
These schools are separate! You can apply to all of them if you want to. I think a specific UC school might have a rule that you can only apply to one department at a time.

Regarding interviews, that really depends. Not everyone gets an interview, whether you get one or not depends on your credentials, SOP, research interest etc.

physicsversed

Post by physicsversed » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:26 pm

I see. Thank you for the information!