How to mention this in my sop?

AllenWang

How to mention this in my sop?

Post by AllenWang » Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:12 am

hi I'm new here and I come from china.
I am planning to further my education in USA

here is thing that I don't know how to say in my sop

I changed my major after my first semester in college, from medical to physics.

because, when I was applying undergraduate program after I graduated from high school, I applied several program in engineering school and science school, but the school admission redirected me to medical school (maybe they ready had enough students in engineering.) But I didn't like medical so I made efforts to transfer. That's why I changed my major.

How to mention this in my sop? I don't know How to explain why i was in medical school at the first semester because in china, they like redirect students :? . I did well in medical school and physics school, but could the admissions office in USA college understand my situation? And how to manage proper words to explain this. I'm not a native English speaker i am confused about this.

()

TakeruK

Re: How to mention this in my sop?

Post by TakeruK » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:19 am

AllenWang wrote:How to mention this in my sop? I don't know How to explain why i was in medical school at the first semester because in china, they like redirect students :? . I did well in medical school and physics school, but could the admissions office in USA college understand my situation? And how to manage proper words to explain this. I'm not a native English speaker i am confused about this.
This is not that uncommon in North America. At my undergrad program, you apply to up to 2 majors and you might get placed in your second choice if your application was not strong enough for the first one. It's also normal for American/Canadian students to change their major (sometimes more than once) during their undergrad degree. You can say that you were originally admitted to the medical program but wanted to change to physics and so you did. It's no big deal at all since you changed in your first year.

AllenWang

Re: How to mention this in my sop?

Post by AllenWang » Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:16 am

TakeruK wrote:
AllenWang wrote:How to mention this in my sop? I don't know How to explain why i was in medical school at the first semester because in china, they like redirect students :? . I did well in medical school and physics school, but could the admissions office in USA college understand my situation? And how to manage proper words to explain this. I'm not a native English speaker i am confused about this.
This is not that uncommon in North America. At my undergrad program, you apply to up to 2 majors and you might get placed in your second choice if your application was not strong enough for the first one. It's also normal for American/Canadian students to change their major (sometimes more than once) during their undergrad degree. You can say that you were originally admitted to the medical program but wanted to change to physics and so you did. It's no big deal at all since you changed in your first year.

Thank you, :) ,