any good news yet?

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

poel5279

Re: any good news yet?

Post by poel5279 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:20 pm

I was just curious, how likely is it for a person to get into the school if he/she is invited to the Open House?

ol

Post by ol » Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:22 pm

poel5279 wrote:I was just curious, how likely is it for a person to get into the school if he/she is invited to the Open House?
May I ask which open house this is? It depends on the school. Some schools like Texas invite shortlisted applicants to campus for an interview and then maybe half or so get admitted (don't quote me on that number though). I've seen a few schools intending to admit people and they literally just email out the open house info first or forget to email out a formal acceptance before sending out the visitation info.

poel5279

Post by poel5279 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:47 pm

ol wrote:
poel5279 wrote:I was just curious, how likely is it for a person to get into the school if he/she is invited to the Open House?
May I ask which open house this is? It depends on the school. Some schools like Texas invite shortlisted applicants to campus for an interview and then maybe half or so get admitted (don't quote me on that number though). I've seen a few schools intending to admit people and they literally just email out the open house info first or forget to email out a formal acceptance before sending out the visitation info.
Texas for HEP-th!! :)

ol

Post by ol » Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:55 pm

poel5279 wrote:Texas for HEP-th!!
Congrats! Yeah, the number Texas admits might be higher. More like 70 or 80 percent. Maybe someone else knows better than I do.

poel5279

Post by poel5279 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:03 pm

ol wrote:
poel5279 wrote:Texas for HEP-th!!
Congrats! Yeah, the number Texas admits might be higher. More like 70 or 80 percent. Maybe someone else knows better than I do.
Yes, I just asked the graduate program advisor. He said it is likely to get in if you are invited to the open house.
I am kind of scared about the interview though. While I have done research in Q.G, I don't have much knowledge on string theory. I applied for string theory.

Do you think they will like try to test your knowledge on string theory? haha...

ol

Post by ol » Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:12 pm

poel5279 wrote:Yes, I just asked the graduate program advisor. He said it is likely to get in if you are invited to the open house.
I am kind of scared about the interview though. While I have done research in Q.G, I don't have much knowledge on string theory. I applied for string theory.

Do you think they will like try to test your knowledge on string theory? haha...
Posted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:03 am
My guess is that they will ask you about your interest in it. They want to see if you will be a good fit with the group, not do an interrogation.

nik

Post by nik » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:07 pm

6 days passed... no response... nothing... not a single mail...

Cornell already accepted 33 students, I didn't apply there though...but how many seats do they have??? But People are getting offers from Chicago and Austin like crazy. I know my applications were late, I mean I do know that some of my applications were submitted after deadline.

Should I cry now??
Last edited by nik on Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

actrask

Post by actrask » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:42 pm

nik wrote:

6 days passed... no response... nothing... not a single mail...

Cornell already accepted 33 students, I didn't apply there though...but how many seats do they have??? But People are getting offers from Chicago and Austin like crazy. I know my applications were late, I mean I do know that some of my applications were submitted after deadline.

Should I cry now??
Any application you submitted late (as in actually paid for after the deadline, LoRs and scores can have a little leeway) you should not expect to hear back positively from. They technically aren't obligated to even look at your application. If you are a strong applicant applying to schools that don't receive a lot of strong applicants this might not make as big of a difference but places like UChicago have more than enough apps to choose from that were submitted within the deadline...

Anyway, it's still early. Just wait it out, you will hear sooner or later.

kap09c

Post by kap09c » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:35 pm

Hey all, just wanted to contribure. I was admitted to Stony Brook last week with fellowship (for theory btw) and I had a 780 PGRE, so PGRE isn't everything!

I'm super worried about my Stanford Application right now though.. sort of my topic choice and I'm doing research that continues a paper recently published by the prof I want to work with... Anyway, I submitted my application on time but for some reason the website says it wan't processed until after midnight the day it was due. Do you think it'll get discarded? I submitted my application a good 14 hours before it was due, so I hope this isn't the case!

kathiravangg

Post by kathiravangg » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:17 pm

When can we expect Case Western, NC State, U Pitt and U Tennessee, Knoxville results ? :(

bfollinprm

Post by bfollinprm » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:50 pm

kathiravangg wrote:When can we expect Case Western, NC State, U Pitt and U Tennessee, Knoxville results ? :(
Most schools practice rolling admission until April 15, so there isn't a unique answer to this question.

That said, you can get an estimate of the earliest responses by searching for these schools on gradcafe, and seeing when the schools start responding. IIRC that time should be quite soon for (at least) Case and Pitt, but that doesn't mean you'll hear back then. Those that get early responses will be the top choices (who will be accepted) and those the school decide are not good fits for the research program, or otherwise wouldn't thrive at the school (who obviously get rejected). Everyone else is ranked in what you might term as a waitlist, though since it's before decision deadline, it really isn't that; it's more a rank-ordered acceptance list that they go down until the funding runs out.

As top choices make their choices known (and inevitably many of them choose other programs), others on the list will be accepted*. The process can stretch well into April, but can be expedited if those who receive acceptances maintain an honest dialogue with programs about the probability of their accepting of the school's offer.

Bottom line: if you don't hear back early on this month, you should take that to mean the school wants to have you, provided there's enough money.

*Schools sometimes know that a student applying is highly unlikely to accept their offer, since they're an obvious safety school. In this case they will accept another student as well, so they don't lose their second choice to inaction. This is a primary reason that they ask where else you're applying on applications, so they can gauge their standing against all the other schools you express interest in relative to your profile.

Dwy

Post by Dwy » Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:16 pm

From thegradcafe it seems that U of Mich sent a wave of rejections today (link). Any acceptances lately?

Arbitrary

Post by Arbitrary » Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:50 am

I was accepted to U of Michigan two days ago.
Due to the rather low number of people posting about being accepted on gradcafe, I suspect there are a few more open spots left.

Dwy

Post by Dwy » Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:54 am

Arbitrary wrote:I was accepted to U of Michigan two days ago.
Due to the rather low number of people posting about being accepted on gradcafe, I suspect there are a few more open spots left.
Thanks, Arbitrary. Was it an official acceptance? Congratz, btw.

tsymmetry

Post by tsymmetry » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:42 am

They just sent out a mass email about their open house to accepted students a few days ago. I think if some people decline the offer after receiving the email they could have a few more spots but I think Michigan, Chicago, and Cornell appear to be mostly finished with the process.

cedricyu803

Post by cedricyu803 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:51 am

Has anyone also been accepted by NYU as well? :)

Seems like only a a handful reported their acceptances on Gradcafe

kap09c

Post by kap09c » Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:29 pm

cedricyu803 wrote:Has anyone also been accepted by NYU as well? :)

Seems like only a a handful reported their acceptances on Gradcafe

I was about two weeks ago, but I was feeling too lazy to post it there

kathiravangg

Post by kathiravangg » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:32 am

Those who got U Pitt but have better offers please reject U Pitt , it will save my life :(

photomagnetic

Post by photomagnetic » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:43 am

if you dont want to go to UMASS please reject! =)
that would make me happehh

XC423

Post by XC423 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:21 pm

photomagnetic wrote:if you dont want to go to UMASS please reject! =)
Just declined. Hope you get it. Amherst seems like a really cool town.

photomagnetic

Post by photomagnetic » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:18 pm

XC423 wrote:
photomagnetic wrote:if you dont want to go to UMASS please reject! =)
Just declined. Hope you get it. Amherst seems like a really cool town.

yea it's nice, quiet and cozy
no crime sprees and such, unless you go to springfield.
housing is a lil bit expensive but i can manage.
i know the admissions do their meeting on weds
so tomorrow i hope i'll get some good news.

Low

Post by Low » Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:57 pm

Didn't want to start a new thread for this, so hopefully this is a good place.

If anyone (like me) is still waiting for news from Columbia Physics, I got some information today from an unofficial but reliable source:

Because of over-admission two years ago, Columbia is on it's second year in a row of having to under-admit. They are aiming for a class size of 13 and admitting only 35. At this point in the process they have admitted about 30, leaving only 5 admits to go out. So... it's not hopeless if you haven't heard, but it's certainly not hopeful.

sometimesyoudo

Post by sometimesyoudo » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:44 am

I also didn't want to start a whole new thread for this. I know that UPenn sent out a wave of acceptances on 1/24, but does anyone know if they are accepting any more people? I don't want to keep getting my hopes up if I am just waiting for a rejection at this point.

XC423

Post by XC423 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:00 pm

sometimesyoudo wrote:I also didn't want to start a whole new thread for this. I know that UPenn sent out a wave of acceptances on 1/24, but does anyone know if they are accepting any more people? I don't want to keep getting my hopes up if I am just waiting for a rejection at this point.
Yeah, I'm curious about UPenn too. It didn't seem like too many acceptances went out on the 24th based on the gradcafe.

nik

Post by nik » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:28 am

<Removed>
Last edited by nik on Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

McLovin

Post by McLovin » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:10 am

A prof from UT Austin told me that they are currently reviewing international applications and will send their decisions within a couple of weeks (this was last Friday).

nik

Post by nik » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:20 am

Hey McLovin, see these two posts: http://www.physicsgre.com/viewtopic.php ... tin#p44488

http://www.physicsgre.com/viewtopic.php ... tin#p44450

This is exactly what what they told you and me, and what happened in early years!

photomagnetic

Post by photomagnetic » Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:39 am

still nothing :l
is it good is bad?
getting no news is better than getting a rejection, but it's touching my nerves.

sometimesyoudo

Post by sometimesyoudo » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:33 am

Anybody hear anything about whether UPenn has sent out all acceptances?

torch000

Post by torch000 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:16 am

Brown is keeping me on edge, they say they're still looking over applications. Don't know what's taking them though, they've had the applications for over 2 months now and I've already heard from some schools that had due dates well after Brown's.

photomagnetic

Post by photomagnetic » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:25 pm

umass- acception
at fckin last!!!
i was devouring myself

cedricyu803

Post by cedricyu803 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:18 pm

Just don't wanna start a new topic

I got admitted by NYU and have accepted the offer
Has anyone been to the open house?
How was it? :D My research interests are particle physics and cosmology theory.

Dwy

Post by Dwy » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:35 pm

cedricyu803 wrote:Just don't wanna start a new topic

Congratulations :D!
Do you mind telling me when you were accepted? I'm on their waitlist and hoping to also get in.

cedricyu803

Post by cedricyu803 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:50 am

Dwy wrote:
cedricyu803 wrote:Just don't wanna start a new topic

Congratulations :D!
Do you mind telling me when you were accepted? I'm on their waitlist and hoping to also get in.
I was accepted in mid-February.
Good luck to you :)