particle physics theory harder.?

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

epislon58

particle physics theory harder.?

Post by epislon58 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:29 pm

Is it harder to be accepted for particle theory than anything else for physics grad school? Thank you

kev12592

Re: particle physics theory harder.?

Post by kev12592 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:06 am

Yes. Check out the "Applicant Profiles and Admission Results" threads. Theory is much more competitive. Reasons for this being theory departments at most schools are smaller than experiment departments and so they can't accept as many students. Also most of the "top" applicants (those with nearly perfect test scores, grades, recommendations, etc.) apply to theory.

WhoaNonstop

Post by WhoaNonstop » Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:43 pm

1. Find top schools in particle theory.

2. Pretend you like something other than particle theory that has a higher demand.

3. Once at school, boss your way into a particle theory research position.

-Riley

AEP

Post by AEP » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:39 pm

WhoaNonstop wrote: 2. Pretend you like something other than particle theory that has a higher demand.
-Riley

What about string theory?

WhoaNonstop

Post by WhoaNonstop » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:16 pm

AEP wrote:
WhoaNonstop wrote: 2. Pretend you like something other than particle theory that has a higher demand.
-Riley

What about string theory?
That's like saying I don't want to be in condensed matter physics but I want to study superconductivity.

-Riley

epislon58

Post by epislon58 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:54 pm

lol ok I will follow your plan if I dont do well as an undergrad. Also when people reference hep do they mean elementary particle physics. Also does hep/elementary particle physics cover black holes?

TakeruK

Post by TakeruK » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:46 am

WhoaNonstop wrote:1. Find top schools in particle theory.

2. Pretend you like something other than particle theory that has a higher demand.

3. Once at school, boss your way into a particle theory research position.

-Riley
I haven't tried something like this so I won't comment on how feasible this plan is / I'm not even sure how serious Riley is being! But if you do want to do something like this, it might help to find top programs in particle theory that will accept first year grad students to physics in general, without expecting you to choose a subfield right away. But in programs like this (and if you try Riley's plan), you should have a backup option in case you aren't able to end up with a particle theory research position!!