new publication

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

poel5279

new publication

Post by poel5279 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:43 am

I just recently started working on one more research paper.
Do you think it's worth it to send an email to schools about it?

quizivex

Re: new publication

Post by quizivex » Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:56 am

"Working on a paper" is insignificant. Only if a paper was accepted for publication should someone even consider trying to alert graduate schools of the news.

Also poel5279, you're creating new threads at a ridiculous rate. Please slow down a bit. Browse some old threads and participate more in the discussions of other users' threads.

poel5279

Post by poel5279 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:28 am

quizivex wrote: Also poel5279, you're creating new threads at a ridiculous rate. Please slow down a bit. Browse some old threads and participate more in the discussions of other users' threads.
Oops. Sorry.
Okay, I also have a mathematical paper that I wrote its status in application as "in progress", but we recently finished and submitted the work. Should I tell them about this?

quizivex

Post by quizivex » Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:06 pm

The difference between "in preparation" and "submitted" is not worth trying to edit your application for. I recall at least one graduate program website say that unsolicited emails after submission of the application are frowned upon.

Anyone can write or submit a paper. It's only a significant achievement if it gets accepted/published.

ol

Post by ol » Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:41 pm

While I wouldn't bother sending an email updating the schools about the status, I really disagree with quizivex about the important of working on a publication, regardless of whether or not it is accepted yet.

Your advisors are supposed to have sound judgement about whether or not research is publishable. If the work was not publication level, you wouldn't be writing it up. Also, considering that journals such as ApJ, for example, have acceptance rates of 70+%, having a paper in prep means that it will probably be accepted at some point. This is significant.

TakeruK

Post by TakeruK » Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:38 pm

Just to add my opinion--I think quizivex is right that "working on a paper" is not worth mentioning and also that there is little difference between "in prep" and "submitted". It's true that your prof ideally should only let you work on writing a paper up or submit a paper if it's actually ready to go, but the committee does not always know this. Also not every prof works like this.

If this was the application submission stage, I would say generally, I would only include a paper in the application if it was at least "submitted", not if it was "in prep." But since the application is already sent in, I would only update the committee if the paper status became "accepted".

Also to respond to the user "ol" above, I think that even keeping in mind how ApJ operates (I'm in astronomy/planetary science), I would consider the first referee report to be the first significant hurdle in getting a paper published. If the report is at least "recommend for publication pending the following changes" then I would agree that it's basically just a matter of time/effort to get it published.

bfollinprm

Post by bfollinprm » Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:34 am

I might forward the manuscript or the arxiv listing, but I would be very clear that you're forwarding it because you aren't sure if the committee would like to see it, not because you think it's some important bonus point.

Reading someone's publications can be a useful way of getting to know them and their research interests, so they might appreciate getting a chance to glance over it.

tsymmetry

Post by tsymmetry » Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:32 pm

I mentioned a paper I was working on in my statement and the research summary part of the application. I would only update them if it's on the arXiv or it's been accepted somewhere.