How competitive is Quantum Information theory?

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

hamadahoda007

How competitive is Quantum Information theory?

Post by hamadahoda007 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:14 am

Hello guys,

I do have interest in both High Energy Theory and Quantum Information and I am wondering which one of them is actually less competitive? I want to edit my SOP to have a focus on one of them ( the less competitive ), always thought QI would be easier for admission but I have no idea where I got that impression from!

Thanks in advance

bfollinprm

Re: How competitive is Quantum Information theory?

Post by bfollinprm » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:31 pm

hamadahoda007 wrote:Hello guys,

I do have interest in both High Energy Theory and Quantum Information and I am wondering which one of them is actually less competitive? I want to edit my SOP to have a focus on one of them ( the less competitive ), always thought QI would be easier for admission but I have no idea where I got that impression from!

Thanks in advance

This will be university-dependent.

mjgm

Post by mjgm » Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:03 pm

hamadahoda007 wrote:Hello guys,

Thanks in advance
That depends on your work in QI as well. Research, publications, LORs from relevant people, etc. etc, I guess.

hermitw

Post by hermitw » Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:47 am

In US, only Caltech, MIT and new mexico do theory QI. Some other Univs have prof in eecs doing that. Maybe you should also look at canada which is less competitive.

mjgm

Post by mjgm » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:34 am

hermitw wrote:In US, only Caltech, MIT and new mexico do theory QI. Some other Univs have prof in eecs doing that. Maybe you should also look at canada which is less competitive.
You forgot a big one on the Eastern shore.

hermitw

Post by hermitw » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:36 am

mjgm wrote:
hermitw wrote:In US, only Caltech, MIT and new mexico do theory QI. Some other Univs have prof in eecs doing that. Maybe you should also look at canada which is less competitive.
You mean Harvard? There is only Lukin and he is mainly doing atomic physics.

mjgm

Post by mjgm » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:58 am

hermitw wrote:
mjgm wrote:
You mean Harvard? There is only Lukin and he is mainly doing atomic physics.
Nope. There is another one. ;)

bfollinprm

Post by bfollinprm » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:20 pm

UCF!

I don't know why we're restricting to 4. That's just not true.

ThomBoh

Post by ThomBoh » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:01 pm

Stanford just picked up Patrick Hayden, who's a major player. Word on the street is that susskind is trying to build a QI group there and started with him.

I'm really praying that QIT at the top tier schools isn't as bad as high energy. If that's the case I'm totally screwed. I'm hoping for a ton of QI experience/grad courses/pub and LORs from good QI people to make up for iffy GPA and mediocre PGRE.

hermitw

Post by hermitw » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:51 am

ThomBoh wrote:Stanford just picked up Patrick Hayden, who's a major player. Word on the street is that susskind is trying to build a QI group there and started with him.

I'm really praying that QIT at the top tier schools isn't as bad as high energy. If that's the case I'm totally screwed. I'm hoping for a ton of QI experience/grad courses/pub and LORs from good QI people to make up for iffy GPA and mediocre PGRE.
Spots get filled quickly. I visited Partick in Oct and he already has 4 students. He told me that he does not like large group.