Soooo what's with UCSD?

IAMAredditor

Soooo what's with UCSD?

Post by IAMAredditor » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:49 am

Anyone got any word on funding? Except for a couple ridiculous 4.0/990 apps with special fellowships it seems most people are waiting.

Anyone know if it's possible to work with profs outside of physics? for condensed matter experiment they have only a couple non-retired profs. I am however interested in some of their nano science people.

nerdpunk

Re: Soooo what's with UCSD?

Post by nerdpunk » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:29 am

Last edited by nerdpunk on Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

babitza

Post by babitza » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:39 am

It is strange! In the open house email they sent me at the beginning of March, it reads:

"The department management and the admissions committee is discussing on the financial packages and will be available in mid March"

I wrote them an email Friday afternoon pretty much asking what's going on. If they respond, I'll let you know what they say.

IAMAredditor

Post by IAMAredditor » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:45 am

babitza wrote:It is strange! In the open house email they sent me at the beginning of March, it reads:

"The department management and the admissions committee is discussing on the financial packages and will be available in mid March"

I wrote them an email Friday afternoon pretty much asking what's going on. If they respond, I'll let you know what they say.
Haha! I wrote them an email too about this. On Tuesday. No response.

I imagine they're inundated with similar emails.

Scotthew

Post by Scotthew » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:18 am

Last edited by Scotthew on Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

bfollinprm

Post by bfollinprm » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:25 pm

I would imagine the majority of you will be getting the standard 9 month TA stipend offer, with guaranteed funding for the first 2 years (though in practice that extends to 6-7 years). It's universal among the UC's not named Berkeley (and maybe UCLA, I didn't apply). The number value on that this year is $17,309.00. Added to this will be summer funding, which should be a minimum of $5770.00, taking the total to $23,080.00/12 months.

Of course, your funding letter could promise additional fellowship top-ups, but recall these are normally on a year-to-year basis, so consider the above your baseline for budgeting and decision-making.

Source: http://www.gradstudies.ucdavis.edu/facs ... yScale.pdf. This is the TA/GSR pay scale as bargained between the UC regents and the UAW, who represents the TA's in the UC system. In the summer you can hold up to a 100% appointment, but during the school year no more than 50% (which means you receive half the advertised salary).

babitza

Post by babitza » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:50 pm

Got the email a few hours ago

IAMAredditor

Post by IAMAredditor » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:09 pm

babitza wrote:Got the email a few hours ago
Looks like they sent it out en-masse all at once.

What do people think of 17.65k / 9 months? Is this doable in san diego? Also is this taxable?

They dont mention anything for summer... .

Ivan Fyodorovich

Post by Ivan Fyodorovich » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:28 am

I received mine as well, which includes the Physics Achievement Award ($9,500) and the 2014 research fellowship ($8,000) in addition to the TA ($17,655). The latter two seem to be only for a year, so I was wondering how the funding situation generally looks after that first year. It's not too important since I'll have a fair amount extra from this for the next year, but I'm curious nonetheless.

By the way, in case any future applicants check this thread, I was one of the people who received a personal call from one of my POIs about a month before official decisions, so that may be an indication that you'll receive the extra funding.

bfollinprm

Post by bfollinprm » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:11 am

IAMAredditor wrote:
What do people think of 17.65k / 9 months? Is this doable in san diego? Also is this taxable?

They dont mention anything for summer... .
1. My conclusion several years ago was no, that was not doable in La Jolla. Though people obviously get by, since they do have grad students.

2. Yes. Though you will not pay very much in taxes on that after the standard deduction (around $1200, assuming you don't have any out-of-pocket expenses relating to your education).

pkissin

Post by pkissin » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:59 am

Anyone attending the open house? I was admitted for CME but am unable to go. If someone who is attending could post or PM useful information or general impressions I'd be super grateful.

IAMAredditor

Post by IAMAredditor » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:10 am

I'm in the same boat! CME, unable to attend. Someone please be our eyes and ears!

WHich profs are you interested in? It seems they have only like 5 who aren't "emeritus" yet their dept is so highly rated why?

pkissin

Post by pkissin » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:26 am

I'm most interested in Dr. Basov's group. Dr. Butov's group does some really cool work, though I think this would be categorized as AMO if the department had more groups doing AMO research, so it would be a change of direction if I went to this group. Also interested in a number of professors working in electrical and nano-engineering depts.

I heard they are currently searching for at least one new faculty member in CME, so there may be more options available when it comes time to choose an advisor. source

IAMAredditor

Post by IAMAredditor » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:18 pm

It seems we are quite similar in our interest, as this was my exact line of thinking. Do you know if it's possible to work with profs in nanoengineering, us being physics phd students?

I am visiting on Monday, i'll tell yuou how it goes. I'm not sure if I'll get to see Basov, as he hasn't responded, but I am seeing Butov and Shpyrko.