2013 Acceptances

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

wololo

Re: 2013 Acceptances

Post by wololo » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:46 pm

Skullgrid wrote:Just heard from Stanford.
Did you get an offer? Did you hear it by email?

MaFFGeeK

Post by MaFFGeeK » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:50 pm

Just got a rejection to stanford by email.

Skullgrid

Post by Skullgrid » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:03 pm

wololo wrote:
Skullgrid wrote:Just heard from Stanford.
Did you get an offer? Did you hear it by email?
Accepted via email.

DiracMan

Post by DiracMan » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:41 pm

Has anyone who applied to Stanford not heard from them one way or the other? Because I know at least one person falls into that category...

If anyone cares to speculate on what that might mean, I would gladly entertain your musings. It looks like they sent out a lot of rejections and acceptances at the same time, so at least I have not been explicitly rejected yet. I double-checked to make sure I put the right email address on my application. Their website clearly says everyone should know about their status by March 1st, so is it now acceptable to call and inquire?

mhrazeghi58

Post by mhrazeghi58 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:59 pm

Hi, anyone has heard something from University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee? :(

Tom Joad

Post by Tom Joad » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:13 pm

Accepted to Stanford via email! With that, my profile is now posted.

Also, rejected from Chicago. Who do they think they are??!! haha, :)

Skullgrid

Post by Skullgrid » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:48 pm

Tom Joad wrote: Also, rejected from Chicago. Who do they think they are??!! haha, :)
Haha, well if it makes you feel better, I didn't fair much better in their Astro dept (I originally was going to apply to physics, but decided against it for just the reason you noted in your profile).

Ivan Fyodorovich

Post by Ivan Fyodorovich » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:48 pm

Well, it looks like I'm splitting my places pretty evenly as far as acceptances go. Of my twelve, I've been rejected from the highest 5 and accepted to the lowest 5. UIUC probably going to be rejected by now, but it's harder to say for UCSB I suppose, since they tend to continue accepting a little later. Highest financial package so far was $32k at Maryland for first two years, though I have yet to hear from UCSD. Next is Ohio State at $27k, although admittedly both places have higher costs of living than the other programs. Pretty disappointed about rejection from Chicago, though, since I felt they had a bunch of really interesting research interests in CMT.

qubits

Post by qubits » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:02 am

mhrazeghi58 wrote:Hi, anyone has heard something from University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee? :(
From gradcafe only 3 reports of acceptances. and all of them are internationals.

wololo

Post by wololo » Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:42 am

DiracMan wrote:Has anyone who applied to Stanford not heard from them one way or the other? Because I know at least one person falls into that category...

If anyone cares to speculate on what that might mean, I would gladly entertain your musings. It looks like they sent out a lot of rejections and acceptances at the same time, so at least I have not been explicitly rejected yet. I double-checked to make sure I put the right email address on my application. Their website clearly says everyone should know about their status by March 1st, so is it now acceptable to call and inquire?
I found my email in the spam directory, did you check yours?

Lavabug

Post by Lavabug » Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:31 am

Waitlisted for NRAO's Summer research program (for graduating seniors). Still no sure admission anywhere, the wait is killing me.

Tom Joad

Post by Tom Joad » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:22 am

Skullgrid wrote:
Tom Joad wrote: Also, rejected from Chicago. Who do they think they are??!! haha, :)
Haha, well if it makes you feel better, I didn't fair much better in their Astro dept (I originally was going to apply to physics, but decided against it for just the reason you noted in your profile).
Maybe they just weren't looking for any high energy astro people this year or something, since I'd have probably been waitlisted or rejected by the astronomy department too since our results are identical on our common domains. Oh well, I don't think we have much to complain about.

cmackeen

Post by cmackeen » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:27 pm

email acceptance from UCSC

therocketscientess

Post by therocketscientess » Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:27 am

qubits wrote:
mhrazeghi58 wrote:Hi, anyone has heard something from University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee? :(
From gradcafe only 3 reports of acceptances. and all of them are internationals.
I did receive an acceptance from Milwaukee, (I am a domestic student) but I have a feeling they tried to expedite my offer because I gave a talk there yesterday and I think they wanted it ready for my visit.

mhrazeghi58

Post by mhrazeghi58 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:54 pm

therocketscientess wrote:
qubits wrote:
I did receive an acceptance from Milwaukee, (I am a domestic student) but I have a feeling they tried to expedite my offer because I gave a talk there yesterday and I think they wanted it ready for my visit.
What PGRE do you think likely to be admitted in Milwaukee? And, have they finished their admission process? :?: :(

therocketscientess

Post by therocketscientess » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:18 am

mhrazeghi58 wrote: What PGRE do you think likely to be admitted in Milwaukee? And, have they finished their admission process? :?: :(
After talking to the professors there I don't thing they believe PGRE is a good indicator of much, so I wouldn't worry about it. I have no idea if they're done or not, again I know they had to rush to get the details of my offer ready in time so I wouldn't worry yet.

kyva1929

Post by kyva1929 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:32 pm

Has anyone gotten financial infos from caltech?

wololo

Post by wololo » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:01 pm

kyva1929 wrote:Has anyone gotten financial infos from caltech?
Still waiting

Johnny Law

Post by Johnny Law » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:31 pm

I got a rejection from applied physics at Yale. Funny, I thought I had submitted for regular physics. Not disappointed though, already in some schools I can't complain about.

All that's left for me in Caltech applied physics... anyone kow anything about them? It's kind of late now. Maybe I'm not cut out to be an applied physicist.

DiracMan

Post by DiracMan » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:06 am

I have yet to hear back either way from Stanford, Berkeley, or UIUC, even though all three of those schools seem to have sent out a significant number of acceptances and rejections (and I have checked my spam folder). Obviously no one on here can know with any certainty, but would anyone care to speculate on if this means anything? Can I interpret this as an implicit wait-listing, or is this just another reminder of the extent to which schools drag their feet when it comes to sending out rejections?

I am personally quite pessimistic, but do feel free to inflate me with false hope. :D

Ivan Fyodorovich

Post by Ivan Fyodorovich » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:38 am

Stanford explicitly states you should have heard back by March 1, so it seems reasonable to contact them at least.

DiracMan

Post by DiracMan » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:47 am

Ivan Fyodorovich wrote:Stanford explicitly states you should have heard back by March 1, so it seems reasonable to contact them at least.
I already did this. When I called I was told to continue waiting longer into this week. If I have not heard by Friday I plan to call again.

bfollinprm

Post by bfollinprm » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:03 am

I would call any program you haven't heard back from now. It's reasonable to want to know your status, and schools should all have some idea of where you stand, even if they're not quite ready to make a decision (or tell you about it). Definitely useful if you already have acceptances and want to know whether to accept the offer of admission or not.

Ivan Fyodorovich

Post by Ivan Fyodorovich » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:32 pm

UIUC seems to have been slowly sending out some rejections over the past 3 days. I'm kind of curious as to why that is. In any case, I'll probably be calling/e-mailing both them and UCSB after I get back from another open house this weekend on Monday. Still really want to get into one of them even if the chances are small now. Does anyone have any thoughts on whether e-mailing vs. calling is more preferable for these types of things?

Scotthew

Post by Scotthew » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:47 pm

Last edited by Scotthew on Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

esopterodactyl

Post by esopterodactyl » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:05 pm

Scotthew wrote:Does anyone know what the deal is with Columbia? According to the grad cafe, it seems like not even a handful of people have heard from them.
Yes, they are still reviewing applications - I was told to wait another couple weeks via email...

AgentZeta

Post by AgentZeta » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:59 pm

Anyone have word on whether Northwestern is done, specifically High Energy Theory?

Scotthew

Post by Scotthew » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:01 pm

Last edited by Scotthew on Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

mhrazeghi58

Post by mhrazeghi58 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:29 pm

I just inquired from Wiscoinsin Milwaukee uni about my application status. Here is their response:
at this time, I cannot really say a final yes or no on your
application. I will tell you that we have made some first round offers.

Do I have any chance for admission? :? :?:

Minovsky

Post by Minovsky » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:14 pm

mhrazeghi58 wrote:I just inquired from Wiscoinsin Milwaukee uni about my application status. Here is their response:
at this time, I cannot really say a final yes or no on your
application. I will tell you that we have made some first round offers.

Do I have any chance for admission? :? :?:
I would say until you receive a definite "no," you still have a chance. If you didn't, they probably would have just said "no" when you asked.

walczyk

Post by walczyk » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:29 pm

Has anyone heard very little from most schools? I received two acceptances and one interview, and nothing from the four other schools I've applied to. I am really excited about one in particular so I feel a lot better, but it still is disappointing to be in a potentially long maybe-list for many schools.

eraldcoil

Post by eraldcoil » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:58 pm

Me, 4 applied, no response other than "the faculty is still making decisions and you'll know in a few weeks."

It was at end of Feb. Uh oh, few more weeks of waiting.

Edit: Heard from Berkeley. A reject. I kinda expected it, but maaaan...

goingnuclear

Post by goingnuclear » Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:03 pm

Has anyone heard from the following schools?

Maryland
Boulder
Johns Hopkins
Columbia

(for plasma exp)

I haven't heard anything from them, so at this point I'm assuming I'm on the list of rejects that aren't worth sending rejection notices to. Which is surprising, seeing as I already got accepted to several prestigious schools like Cornell and UCLA, and am on Princeton's waitlist.

Edit - Sounds like Columbia is slow with a lot of people this year.

eclaire1

Post by eclaire1 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:14 pm

nothing from columbia still.......

WaLRuS

Post by WaLRuS » Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:19 pm

Im not sure about JHU or UMD, but I was rejected from Colorado a few weeks ago for plasma exp. so I would guess you're on the shortlist there.

At least according to gradcafe, Columbia Applied Physics seems to be really slow with decisions (especially rejections) and I've heard they make decisions by research area.

quantum_fan

Post by quantum_fan » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:28 pm

I have heard from Maryland and Boulder for plasma theory/computation. Also, unsure if this affects either of you, but I am still waiting on UCSD for plasma theory/computation. I just called them today and they said that decisions are still being made, so there may be more information next week.

samanark

Post by samanark » Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:14 am

So I see that some people got responses from ASU way back in January. Mine still says "Under Review"... I'm debating how much longer I should wait before I email them.

I haven't received a response from Rutgers either but it seems people got theirs only about a week and a half ago, so that's not as big a disparity.

janisper116

Post by janisper116 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:19 pm

AgentZeta wrote:Anyone have word on whether Northwestern is done, specifically High Energy Theory?
I'm wondering the same thing for high energy experiment. I was contacted for a phone interview back in late January but haven't heard anything else.

lordbadri

Post by lordbadri » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:59 am

Umass Amherst - Astro sending rejects...got one on 8th march
:(

lordbadri

Post by lordbadri » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:03 am

samanark wrote:So I see that some people got responses from ASU way back in January. Mine still says "Under Review"... I'm debating how much longer I should wait before I email them.

I haven't received a response from Rutgers either but it seems people got theirs only about a week and a half ago, so that's not as big a disparity.
My status at ASU also says under review......even i am waiting to contact the department.

Did u apply to Astro?

Let me know if u get a reply

Croixrousse

Post by Croixrousse » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:24 am

Has anyone heard back from Boston University recently? I applied for high-energy (experimental); emailed the department in mid-February and was told I was still under consideration, and that they would make final decisions in a week to ten days and inform us "shortly thereafter."

wiak2

Post by wiak2 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:40 am

lordbadri wrote:
samanark wrote:So I see that some people got responses from ASU way back in January. Mine still says "Under Review"... I'm debating how much longer I should wait before I email them.

My status at ASU also says under review......even i am waiting to contact the department.

Did u apply to Astro?

Let me know if u get a reply
I applied last year to astro at ASU and never heard a reply. They never responded to my emails and my status never changed from "Under Review." I should of asked for a refund of my application fee since I never got an answer from them.

Lavabug

Post by Lavabug » Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:49 pm

wiak2 wrote: I applied last year to astro at ASU and never heard a reply. They never responded to my emails and my status never changed from "Under Review." I should of asked for a refund of my application fee since I never got an answer from them.
Hi wiak, how are your applications going this year? I really hope you get in somewhere (I remember your stats).

I'm still waiting for a word from OSU Physics. The last notification on gradcafe was March 8 and it was a waitlisting. I've emailed them twice in the past week but have received no reply, anyone know if they're done with admissions?

wiak2

Post by wiak2 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:01 pm

Lavabug wrote:
wiak2 wrote: I applied last year to astro at ASU and never heard a reply. They never responded to my emails and my status never changed from "Under Review." I should of asked for a refund of my application fee since I never got an answer from them.
Hi wiak, how are your applications going this year? I really hope you get in somewhere (I remember your stats).

I'm still waiting for a word from OSU Physics. The last notification on gradcafe was March 8 and it was a waitlisting. I've emailed them twice in the past week but have received no reply, anyone know if they're done with admissions?

Much better, thanks for asking. I've been accepted at several schools (UNC, Rochester, Pitt, Minnesota, Arizona, Virginia Tech, Nebraska), waitlisted at a few, and still waiting for others. I'll post my profile at some point.

physics_girl

Post by physics_girl » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:48 am

Croixrousse wrote:Has anyone heard back from Boston University recently? I applied for high-energy (experimental); emailed the department in mid-February and was told I was still under consideration, and that they would make final decisions in a week to ten days and inform us "shortly thereafter."
I got rejected in mid-Feb. I don't know what that means for you.

Kinbote

Post by Kinbote » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:34 pm

Is Columbia done already?!
There two or three acceptances on gradcafe and today there are two waitlists.
Just curious

walczyk

Post by walczyk » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:21 pm

Was wait-listed by Brown today, has anyone else received an acceptance letter or were waitlisted as well? I'm thinking of sending them a reply expressing reserved interest.

dau

Post by dau » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:51 pm

Kinbote wrote:Is Columbia done already?!
There two or three acceptances on gradcafe and today there are two waitlists.
Just curious
I sent an e-mail to Columbia today asking for the status of my application and they say they expect that the admission committee will return Ph.D. decisions by mid March, and it will be notified by e-mail.

nerdpunk

Post by nerdpunk » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:07 am

Last edited by nerdpunk on Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lordbadri

Post by lordbadri » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:28 am

Washington State University physics department sent a reject now :(