Should we reduce the # of stickied threads on this forum?

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

Do you support this proposal?

Yes
94%
No
6%

Total votes: 17

quizivex

Should we reduce the # of stickied threads on this forum?

Post by quizivex » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:54 am

Dear PhysicsGRE.com users, there are now 9 stickied threads on the "Prospective Physics Graduate Student Topics" forum. To make it a little easier for you to get to the new topics quickly when you visit, I propose to unsticky the 2008-11 profile threads and create a new stickied thread with links to those four threads.

Please vote on and/or discuss whether you're in favor of this or not. I think this is a good idea but I won't do anything that isn't supported by the majority of the users... I absolutely hate when my favorite websites scramble things around and change layouts unnecessarily!

To clarify... there will be one stickied thread called 2008-2011 Applicant Profiles and Admission Results

In this thread will be just one post that has links to each of the old threads.

The 2008-11 profiles themselves will NOT be combined into one thread.

The current 2013 thread and the most recent 2012 thread will still be stickied by themselves, reachable to you with one click.

I will also consolidate the stickied threads "SEE THIS TOPIC BEFORE POSTING" and "==> Sticky: Some Frequently Asked Questions in This Forum" since they have a similar message.

esopterodactyl

Re: Should we reduce the # of stickied threads on this forum?

Post by esopterodactyl » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:36 am

Sounds like a good idea. It definitely feels a little cluttered right now and I'm sure it'll only be a minor inconvenience to add 1 click between us and past year results. I'd even be in favor of 2012 being added to this list.

bschroe

Post by bschroe » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:39 am

quizivex wrote:[T]here will be one stickied thread called 2008-2011 Applicant Profiles and Admission Results
On the name I disagree: I'd say "Past" beats "2008-2011", because the forum threads are time-dependent.

quizivex

Post by quizivex » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:47 pm

Ok thanks for your input. It looks like we have a strong preference for the change. The question is now whether to include 2012, as esopterodactyl suggested. If anyone is strongly opposed to that, please comment. If not, I will do it this weekend.
bschroe wrote:On the name I disagree: I'd say "Past" beats "2008-2011", because the forum threads are time-dependent.
I don't follow what you mean... The link thread and its title can be updated each year to include the previous year. I wanted to include the numbers in the title so new visitors will see we that we have 6 years of data.

bschroe

Post by bschroe » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:16 pm

quizivex wrote:The link thread and its title can be updated each year to include the previous year.
Sorry, I'm permanently in reddit mode these days; completely slipped my mind that there exist titles which can be modified!