2013 Acceptances

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

bfollinprm

Re: 2013 Acceptances

Post by bfollinprm » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:56 am

photonic wrote:
DiracMan wrote:
Why? Their website says early March. Past gradcafe results suggest mid-to-late February. What is on Thursday?
I also gotta know, how do you know its going to be Thursday?
kboone wrote:UPenn has started sending out email acceptances.
Official acceptances or unofficial ones from the physics department? I know my application is still listed as incomplete because they haven't updated by subject GRE scores (although the general ones are up), so I hope this doesn't slow down when I hear back.

Also for those who applied to Columbia, don't worry if you're GRE scores are still listed as not being received. Apparently they still have to run the computer program that matches up your scores to your application.
Though I wouldn't be surprised if MIT hands out offers on Thursday, I doubt they'll be done then. Schools (even the top ones) generally have several acceptance waves as people in their first choice list decide to go elsewhere.

Skullgrid

Post by Skullgrid » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:56 am

photonic wrote: Also for those who applied to Columbia, don't worry if your GRE scores are still listed as not being received. Apparently they still have to run the computer program that matches up your scores to your application.
Good to know, thanks.

kangaroo

Post by kangaroo » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:47 am

Insider info. High energy/particle physics will be done with their selections. Other subfields will follow sometime next week.

Lavabug

Post by Lavabug » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:30 am

2 reports of admissions for Hawaii's Astronomy program on gradcafe.

Tom Joad

Post by Tom Joad » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:19 pm

AprilMay4 wrote:
Tom Joad wrote:
By the way, in case anyone is in need of a good "acceptance dance" song, might I suggest: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPHC0zFjE24

This actually fits how my mood is now that I've gotten my Berkeley acceptance. Totally not judging.
Haha, you may have judged me if you saw me dancing.
Meteorshower wrote:Not gonna lie, super jealous of all your offers Tom :p

Congratulations though obviously :)
Thanks, I wasn't expecting to hear back from two of my top choices first! I think I'm going to withdraw a few applications now.

blighter

Post by blighter » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:43 pm

Tom Joad wrote:
AprilMay4 wrote:
Tom Joad wrote:
By the way, in case anyone is in need of a good "acceptance dance" song, might I suggest: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPHC0zFjE24

This actually fits how my mood is now that I've gotten my Berkeley acceptance. Totally not judging.
Haha, you may have judged me if you saw me dancing.
Meteorshower wrote:Not gonna lie, super jealous of all your offers Tom :p

Congratulations though obviously :)
Thanks, I wasn't expecting to hear back from two of my top choices first! I think I'm going to withdraw a few applications now.
Post your profile. We're all curious!

Skullgrid

Post by Skullgrid » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:55 pm

blighter wrote: Post your profile. We're all curious!
Seriously. Do it.

Tom Joad

Post by Tom Joad » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:14 pm

Don't worry guys, I promise that I will post my profile sometime in the next few weeks. In fact, I already have it as a saved post ready to be submitted, and haven't done so because I'm one of the weirdos who is paranoid about posting information before hearing back from certain schools. I know it's not really a logical concern, as I have nothing to lose really, so I'll probably break down and post it soon.

I will say that we have very similar research interests, Skullgrid.

By the way, UCSB today by email to check website.

Scotthew

Post by Scotthew » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:35 am

Last edited by Scotthew on Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

lordbadri

Post by lordbadri » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:15 am

Hey Guys

University of Minnesota Graduate Program in Astrophysics replied with a Reject :( , the reason was not enough financial aid this year to send out an admit to me.They also included in the mail that, they have finished reviewing all the applicants.

Lavabug

Post by Lavabug » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:44 am

lordbadri wrote:Hey Guys

University of Minnesota Graduate Program in Astrophysics replied with a Reject :( , the reason was not enough financial aid this year to send out an admit to me.They also included in the mail that, they have finished reviewing all the applicants.
They did tell me they had 57 applicants, sent out offers to 12, and waitlisted 10(myself included). However they aim to take in 3-4 students a year, so they are expecting most of those 12 to go to other institutions, hence the waitlist.

I wonder what would happen if all 12 decided to accept, how would they come up with the funds to support all of them?

admissionprof

Post by admissionprof » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:13 am

Lavabug wrote: They did tell me they had 57 applicants, sent out offers to 12, and waitlisted 10(myself included). However they aim to take in 3-4 students a year, so they are expecting most of those 12 to go to other institutions, hence the waitlist.

I wonder what would happen if all 12 decided to accept, how would they come up with the funds to support all of them?
Given that most students apply to many places, this is a very low probability event. But it does happen that occasionally there's a fluctuation upwards and one winds up with 5-6 more students than desired. Typically one borrows the funds from the Dean. They then agree to have a much smaller class the following year, so the money is mostly "paid back". Net cost is basically a year's interest on a few stipends.....

Lavabug

Post by Lavabug » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:51 am

admissionprof wrote:
Lavabug wrote: They did tell me they had 57 applicants, sent out offers to 12, and waitlisted 10(myself included). However they aim to take in 3-4 students a year, so they are expecting most of those 12 to go to other institutions, hence the waitlist.

Given that most students apply to many places, this is a very low probability event. But it does happen that occasionally there's a fluctuation upwards and one winds up with 5-6 more students than desired. Typically one borrows the funds from the Dean. They then agree to have a much smaller class the following year, so the money is mostly "paid back". Net cost is basically a year's interest on a few stipends.....
It's relieving to hear that, I was fearing that qualifying exams would be used to cull the herd if financial strain became too much. I was told by admissions they got an unexpected increase in enrollments last year. With the increased competition and the number of people with strong backgrounds that strangely get rejected everywhere(many examples here), I wouldn't be surprised if underestimating enrollments becomes a regular occurrence, but for my sake I really hope it was just an anomaly!

photonic

Post by photonic » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:56 pm

NYU has started to send out more acceptance emails and more Cornell decisions have been posted. :)

DiracMan

Post by DiracMan » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:03 pm

photonic wrote:NYU has started to send out more acceptance emails and more Cornell decisions have been posted. :)
Series of Cornell questions:
1. Did you got a fellowship or TA? It seemed that the last round of acceptances were all fellowships.
2. Did you get an email, or randomly check the website status?

Scotthew

Post by Scotthew » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:08 pm

Last edited by Scotthew on Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

wololo

Post by wololo » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:11 pm

Scotthew wrote:I also just discovered a Cornell acceptance on the website (no email as of yet) - the acceptance was a very general acceptance letter from the dean of graduate studies, with no specifics (or even references to the physics department in particular) whatsoever, and thus no information about fellowships.
Did you see this in your account, or is there a website with the names of the students admitted?

Scotthew

Post by Scotthew » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:13 pm

Last edited by Scotthew on Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

StewieVader

Post by StewieVader » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:23 pm

Does this mean that the acceptances have all been sent out? :shock:

DiracMan

Post by DiracMan » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:28 pm

StewieVader wrote:Does this mean that the acceptances have all been sent out? :shock:
Analyzing 2012 and 2011 gradcafe results for Cornell suggests that they send out acceptances at a somewhat steady rate until February 12th-14th. After that your chance of acceptance seems to decay exponentially. So in theory, we're still okay. In practice, who knows.

Skullgrid

Post by Skullgrid » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:33 pm

I just heard from UCSB Physics (I think this might not be breaking news though).

I also finally heard from Cornell by email (had already noticed the offer on the website).

DiracMan

Post by DiracMan » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:18 pm

To follow-up on my prior comment, I know programs often accept people by area (send out acceptances for HEP-th, then astro, then CMT...etc.). So far the only acceptances I have seen for Cornell are astro and HEP. Can anyone cite an exception to this?

lordbadri

Post by lordbadri » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:20 pm

Scotthew wrote:On my account (there's a "decision" section added above "online letters of recommendation" on the status page), as others have described on the previous page.
you meant the applyweb (Collage Net) site? correct where you check your application status and recommendation status?

photonic

Post by photonic » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:13 pm

lordbadri wrote:
Scotthew wrote:On my account (there's a "decision" section added above "online letters of recommendation" on the status page), as others have described on the previous page.
you meant the applyweb (Collage Net) site? correct where you check your application status and recommendation status?
Yes, its under the applyweb site (the same website that Brown and Princeton use) and the link will be posted right above the letter of recommendations section.
DiracMan wrote:To follow-up on my prior comment, I know programs often accept people by area (send out acceptances for HEP-th, then astro, then CMT...etc.). So far the only acceptances I have seen for Cornell are astro and HEP. Can anyone cite an exception to this?
No exception here, I applied for HET/CMT, but primarily the former. For most schools its usually by area so I doubt Cornell is done sending out acceptances.
DiracMan wrote:
photonic wrote:NYU has started to send out more acceptance emails and more Cornell decisions have been posted. :)
Series of Cornell questions:
1. Did you got a fellowship or TA? It seemed that the last round of acceptances were all fellowships.
2. Did you get an email, or randomly check the website status?
I got a TA position and I just randomly checked the website. There seems to be a delay between being accepted and getting the email.

wololo

Post by wololo » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:32 pm

kangaroo wrote:MIT applicants keep your eyes open...Thursday is the day
Anyone got any admission?

Minovsky

Post by Minovsky » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:01 pm

wololo wrote:
No decision posted on my application yet, though I indicated CMT as my top preference (according to kangaroo, only the HE group is supposed to be done).

soh

Post by soh » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:16 pm

Skullgrid wrote:CalTech Astronomy has started sending out acceptances.
I applied and have not heard anything from Caltech and Harvard (international). Is it too soon to ask for the status of my application?
I would like to rip the bandaid off it it is flat out rejection.

Skullgrid

Post by Skullgrid » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:25 pm

soh wrote:
I applied and have not heard anything from Caltech and Harvard (international). Is it too soon to ask for the status of my application?
I would say wait a bit longer. I was always under the impression that they would inform everyone at once, but it appears that they actually do it gradually. For example, looking at gradcafe, the earliest acceptance to UCSB physics was Jan 29, but I didn't get my acceptance until today.

soh

Post by soh » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:39 pm

Skullgrid wrote:
soh wrote:
I would say wait a bit longer. I was always under the impression that they would inform everyone at once, but it appears that they actually do it gradually. For example, looking at gradcafe, the earliest acceptance to UCSB physics was Jan 29, but I didn't get my acceptance until today.

Thanks. Wait, I'll do.

cwcomplex

Post by cwcomplex » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:07 am

Minovsky wrote:
wololo wrote:
No decision posted on my application yet, though I indicated CMT as my top preference (according to kangaroo, only the HE group is supposed to be done).
Well he didn't say it would be THIS Thursday....Next Thursday is 2/14, which has been the day MIT, Harvard, etc. release the first round results in the past few years.

Robespierre

Post by Robespierre » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:25 am

He actually was implying that it would be this Thursday, since he said "Other subfields will follow sometime next week."

Also, thegradcafe results show that in 2011 MIT started accepting people on Feb. 2nd.

On the other hand, it's possible that he meant that decisions will be made internally on Thursday, but not actually mailed out, though it seems unlikely.

Another possibility is that he was wrong, or that the committee changed its mind.

A final (unfortunately the most likely) possibility is that we suck.

lordbadri

Post by lordbadri » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:57 am

Hey Guys

LSU sent me a mail saying that their first round of offers are done and asked me to wait for their second round of offers to go out.

So anytime time now.good luck

kangaroo

Post by kangaroo » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:27 pm

MIT is having a snow day today, so don't expect anything this week.

StewieVader

Post by StewieVader » Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:19 am

Last edited by StewieVader on Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

blighter

Post by blighter » Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:03 am

Congratulations! That's awesome :) No surprise though.

Ivan Fyodorovich

Post by Ivan Fyodorovich » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:46 pm

For those who have been recently accepted to Berkeley, UCSD, and/or UCSB, what fields did you list as your preferences? I'm curious to know if it's possibly field specific or just the first batch overall. In related news, it looks like UCLA has sent out a bunch today as well based on thegradcafe postings.

Tom Joad

Post by Tom Joad » Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:36 pm

Ivan Fyodorovich wrote:For those who have been recently accepted to Berkeley, UCSD, and/or UCSB, what fields did you list as your preferences? I'm curious to know if it's possibly field specific or just the first batch overall. In related news, it looks like UCLA has sent out a bunch today as well based on thegradcafe postings.
I applied for theoretical astrophysics at Berkeley (in the physics department) and the same for UCSB except with an additional interest in gravity theory.

lordbadri

Post by lordbadri » Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:47 am

If your wait listed will the decision saying that your wait listed will be posted for Cornell and other apply web collages?

P-representation

Post by P-representation » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:55 am

I heard that Stanford Applied Physics has sent out all its acceptances and those who haven't received one on Feb 2nd are rejected :(

bschroe

Post by bschroe » Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:02 pm

Has anybody heard anything about Texas A&M (high-energy theory, specifically)?

photonic

Post by photonic » Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:59 pm

bschroe wrote:Has anybody heard anything about Texas A&M (high-energy theory, specifically)?
Theres nothing on gradcafe so probably not. I think this week the pace will pick up some more.

For those who have heard back from UPenn, did you anybody hear back while their status page still said the application was incomplete? My page lists my general GRE score as being received, but not my PGRE. I'm worried this might slow down when I hear back but I'm not big on sending more emails asking about my gre to the graduate school either.
lordbadri wrote:If your wait listed will the decision saying that your wait listed will be posted for Cornell and other apply web collages?
Probably not, I would contact those schools instead concerning your status.

quantum_fan

Post by quantum_fan » Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:29 pm

lordbadri wrote:If your wait listed will the decision saying that your wait listed will be posted for Cornell and other apply web collages?
Also, based on gradcafe listings for Cornell from the past two years, there will probably still be some acceptances this week. I doubt there will be many after that though.

bschroe

Post by bschroe » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:14 pm

photonic wrote:
bschroe wrote:Has anybody heard anything about Texas A&M (high-energy theory, specifically)?
Theres nothing on gradcafe so probably not. I think this week the pace will pick up some more.
I'm not sure how much I trust grad cafe and PGRE to give me a decent sample (especially with such a bad PGRE turnout this year), though, so I can't be sure.

I certainly hope this week has more happening! (But, my fellowship to OSU makes things much less stressful.)

goingnuclear

Post by goingnuclear » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:55 pm

UCLA sent out a slew of admissions yesterday. :)

quantum_fan

Post by quantum_fan » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:02 am

Looking through the acceptances in the profile thread, it looks like Colorado has only sent out acceptances for AMO.

photonic

Post by photonic » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:52 am

Rutgers has started sending out acceptance emails, although their website is still not updated.
Hoping this week I hear back from most schools and end this damn waiting!

Meteorshower

Post by Meteorshower » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:19 pm

This is a fairly dumb question that i don't think merits a thread but...

I noticed the other day that there was a "supplemental data" section on the Harvard application after you fill in the main form. Now i'd done everything else, paid for the app, sent scores and references etc. I emailed them asking if this meant my app wont be considered, and the response I got was "I'm sorry but it is too late to add further materials to the application"

Now this doesn't completely clarify things for me. I can't really tell if my app got through in the first place. I'm expecting not but if anyone can shed any light that'd be appreciated.

ModusPwnens

Post by ModusPwnens » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:41 pm

Meteorshower wrote: I noticed the other day that there was a "supplemental data" section on the Harvard application after you fill in the main form. Now i'd done everything else, paid for the app, sent scores and references etc. I emailed them asking if this meant my app wont be considered, and the response I got was "I'm sorry but it is too late to add further materials to the application"
I applied to SEAS (not pure physics), but if I'm pretty sure all of the GSAS programs use the same application. If I remember correctly, we submitted all of the necessary supplemental info in the application itself (before we paid the $105). I don't remember exactly what the extra supplemental info form was for, but I have a vague recollection that it was pretty much unnecessary - like, it was "how did you find out about us" or "tell us how long your contact info is good for" or something along those lines, but nothing substantial. Long story short, as long as you submitted your SoP, CV, and transcripts, you should be good.

cwcomplex

Post by cwcomplex » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:46 pm

The supplemental form for Harvard GSAS application has to do with financial aid information: whether you have or are applying for an outside scholarship, how is that paid, etc. and if not whether you are able to support yourself financially (but physics students get paid by their advisors so this shouldn't matter much I guesss?)
Meteorshower wrote:This is a fairly dumb question that i don't think merits a thread but...

I noticed the other day that there was a "supplemental data" section on the Harvard application after you fill in the main form. Now i'd done everything else, paid for the app, sent scores and references etc. I emailed them asking if this meant my app wont be considered, and the response I got was "I'm sorry but it is too late to add further materials to the application"

Now this doesn't completely clarify things for me. I can't really tell if my app got through in the first place. I'm expecting not but if anyone can shed any light that'd be appreciated.

Skullgrid

Post by Skullgrid » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:32 pm

According to a poster on gradcafe, all acceptances for Harvard Astronomy have been sent out. So if you haven't heard back from them, I wouldn't get my hopes up.
Last edited by Skullgrid on Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.