Post by jain.mudit90 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:40 am

Hey,
I took the GRE general 2 weeks ago and got the following scores:
Verbal : 152/170 :cry:
Quant : 165/170 :|
AW : 3/6 :cry:
quite shocked to see my AW scores :shock: expected at least 4.5
Physics GRE : scheduled in November 2012
Although I had to pursue Engineering in Electrical due to some unavoidable reasons, I intend to pursue my career as a Physicist.
I have a research paper currently under review in the IOP (Institute of Physics) and another one of which I got the opportunity to present at Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO). With that in mind, I have a GPA between 3.7 and 4 in my Engineering.
I am quite disappointed with my GRE general score and dont know what are my chances of getting an admission to a 'fairly' good grad school (I know getting admission in the top tier schools is out of context with this profile :cry: )
As I am an International applicant (from India), please brief me with my chances of getting admission to a fairly good university (if any). Also, I'm from a 'fairly' reputed regional (State) University.
Should I consider taking a Re test..? Also, I expected a 170/170 in Quant, but don't know where I lost those 5 marks... :(
I am quite skeptical about my verbal and AW scores. :?
Please reply...

johnhero2010

Re: Poor Verbal and Analytical Score

Post by johnhero2010 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:56 am

Unfortunately the same here but even worse:
iam international student also and I got :
verbal: 145
Quant.:151

and i'll take the PGE also in next November but iam not sure that i'll get a good score on it either
I really don't know what to do :(

walczyk

Post by walczyk » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:58 pm

I took it once october 2011, i got 165, 164, 4.5 for math, verbal, analytical. I didn't sleep that night before the test, same thing with my pgre, on my third try i got a 960 and I hadn't slept at all the night before.

photonic

Post by photonic » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:30 pm

Few things to keep in mind:

1) the general gre score is not all that important. The quant section has been changed up and in the past getting an 800 (which you could get even with some mistakes) put you in the 95th percentile. It stopped there, there was no 97th or 98th percentile. The new quant section is more difficult and a 168 is ~97th percentile so I don't think a 165 or higher is bad. I don't know about a 151 but its best just to look at the schools profile and see the range.

2) the general gre is also made for native english speakers. I think that the TOEFL is more important for international students.

3) When it comes to your chances, just look at the profiles posted.