Does anyone know anything about GRE Subject Secrets?

funstuff

Does anyone know anything about GRE Subject Secrets?

Post by funstuff » Fri Jul 02, 2004 4:31 pm

Here's a link.
http://www.mo-media.com/gresubject/
It sounds pretty good, but I'd like to know if anyone has tried it before I fork out the dough.

Grant
site admin

i haven't seen it but I imagine it is test taking tips

Post by Grant » Tue Jul 13, 2004 2:12 am

I thought about ordering it out of curiosity but I imagine it is mostly generic test taking tips for standardized exams. They have pretty much the same ad copy for a bunch of standardized tests (GRESUBJECT, AP, SATII, EMT, FTCE, etc. etc. etc. and I really mean etc.)

Even if it is generic advice then it still can be good advice because there probably are generic ways to exploit multiple choice exams but I guess my point is that I imagine their advice has very little to do with physics.

(Note: When we get a graduate school to sponsor PhysicsGRE.com :) then perhaps I can throw a few dollars at things like this so I can try these types of things out and give a review without having to guess about what I am reviewing :? )

portlandstudent

would not recommend

Post by portlandstudent » Sat Aug 07, 2004 4:30 pm

I too was intrigued by GRE Subject Secrets seeing as there are very few Physics GRE guides in book form. I decided to fork over the money because they said you they absolutely guaranteed you would like it.

I did not like it at all (and they did refund my money with no hassle). I would NOT buy GRE Subject Secrets because it is a double-spaced 60 page book that is mostly a glossary of physics terms that are obvious, has no equations or advice specific to the physics subject test and does not use correct grammar (and sometimes spelling).

In short DO NOT purchase.

sciencexgirl

Post by sciencexgirl » Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:48 am

That's not surprising... most of what the advertisement on the website says sounds A LOT like all the stuff Kaplan spews about their "patented" test-taking techniques. In particular, if you buy Kaplan's GRE General test prep book, it says over and over that you will be prepared for "everything that's ever on the GRE" because you know how to answer the questions, as opposed to just knowing what the answers are.

On older exams such as the 1986 Physics GRE it is sometimes easy to use such strategies to eliminate answers, for example by dimensional analysis. However, I've noticed that on more recent exams, like the 2001 Physics GRE, ETS seems to be avoiding or eliminating these kinds of shortcuts.

yosofun

Re: Does anyone know anything about GRE Subject Secrets?

Post by yosofun » Wed Nov 09, 2005 6:05 am

... the guy has incredibly luminescent blue eyes. (hm. he must be high on galactic spice.)

and to quote the dork who "ACTUALLY scored HIGHER than the 99th percentile on the toughest tests?" ....... mmhmmm so basically he beat himself. whoooo. good for him.

suffice it to say: scam alert.

funstuff wrote:Here's a link.
http://www.mo-media.com/gresubject/
It sounds pretty good, but I'd like to know if anyone has tried it before I fork out the dough.

yosofun

Post by yosofun » Wed Nov 09, 2005 6:13 pm

spending your time on http://grephysics.net would be a much better thing to do. moreover, tackling some of the gre physics questions now would mean spending less time to study for your prelim's later.