Translating articles for Nature Magazine

• If you want to know something about the GRE subject test in physics then chances are you will find it in here.
  • If something about the physics GRE it isn't already discussed in here then please put it in here.

ali8

Translating articles for Nature Magazine

Post by ali8 » Tue May 15, 2012 2:43 pm

Hi,

So I will be working online as a scientific translator (English to Arabic) for Nature magazine.

I have already been accepted to master program in physics...

What I want to ask is this: Will this kind of jobs give me any (even 5%) positive points when

applying to PhD schools or even when applying to companies?

I am just curious, I know it won't make that change, but even a 5% is fine for me...

TakeruK

Re: Translating articles for Nature Magazine

Post by TakeruK » Wed May 16, 2012 12:41 am

Jobs in general will give you positive points, sure. I think it's good to show that you know how to work a "real job" because it shows a person with breadth. Maybe a science related job will be marginally better than, say, McDonalds. But even if it's like 1% positive points or whatever, it's not like this job (or any job) would clearly be enough to put your application over another student's, since it would be one part in an unscientific measurement. Unless there is a super unlikely scenario where there are 2 applications that are exactly the same except one has this job. But since a scenario is not a realistic way to think about grad school applications.

In short, the positive aspects of this job are the money that you will earn and the exposure to scientific writing. These indirect benefits could help you do well in your masters and help you write a stronger PhD applications. But the effect of just having it on your CV is probably negligible, not really better than any other job, which most people would have anyways. (In my opinion!)

ali8

Post by ali8 » Wed May 16, 2012 8:48 am

Thanks for that!

Well, as you said, at least I will be earning some money, and if this money could be from a relatively inreresting job then why not.

I'd like to say that this is not a full time job, it is a freelancing one, which means that I still have a chance to work possible as RA along with that job.

As you said, exposure to scientific writing style may be the most benefit...

gracebland

Post by gracebland » Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:38 am

Hi friend,

Getting and doing a job of our choice always gives pleasure to us. I think online jobs don't have that much strain when we are in office... Of course it gives a motivation power to your career ahead :)