Berkeley Physics or Harvard Applied Physics - CM Experiment

pineapplehead

Berkeley Physics or Harvard Applied Physics - CM Experiment

Post by pineapplehead » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:15 am

Could someone please give me the pros and cons of both schools, I'm very conflicted about where to go. Location is not a huge issue, I'd be down with living in either place. Also I'm not sure what I would like to do specifically in condensed matter, but I'm definitely thinking experimental. Thank you!

Bozostein

Re: Berkeley Physics or Harvard Applied Physics - CM Experiment

Post by Bozostein » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:56 pm

hmmm... both are excellent schools tough choice

bfollinprm

Post by bfollinprm » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:56 pm

pineapplehead wrote:Also I'm not sure what I would like to do specifically in condensed matter, but I'm definitely thinking experimental. Thank you!
Doesn't this answer your question? A physics department will have more varied choices for your research down the line

grae313

Post by grae313 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:53 pm

pineapplehead wrote:Could someone please give me the pros and cons of both schools, I'm very conflicted about where to go. Location is not a huge issue, I'd be down with living in either place. Also I'm not sure what I would like to do specifically in condensed matter, but I'm definitely thinking experimental. Thank you!
Have you visited? The cultures and environments at these two schools are very different.

pineapplehead

Post by pineapplehead » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:59 pm

grae313 wrote: Have you visited? The cultures and environments at these two schools are very different.
Yup I have visited both. Many people have said this to me--and perhaps I'm just incredibly dense--but at least in terms of research I didn't see too much of a difference in environment between the two schools. Both are doing great research and there is a good amount of friendliness and collaboration between groups. Non-research wise I have lived in a Berkeley-type environment for most of my life and really enjoy it, but it would also be nice to live out on the east coast for a bit, which is something I've never done before. I think in terms of lifestyle, I could be happy in either place (I'm pretty adaptable!). Mostly I want to know, where do you think the best research is happening?
bfollinprm wrote: Doesn't this answer your question? A physics department will have more varied choices for your research down the line
Really? I think (at least in condensed matter experiment) Harvard applied has a lot of options.

ol

Post by ol » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:26 am

pineapplehead wrote:Really? I think (at least in condensed matter experiment) Harvard applied has a lot of options.
Most of the faculty in Harvard's applied physics department are also in their physics department. So it doesn't matter.

grae313

Post by grae313 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:34 am

pineapplehead wrote:Many people have said this to me--and perhaps I'm just incredibly dense--but at least in terms of research I didn't see too much of a difference in environment between the two schools.
Yeeeeah... research is not what people mean when they say "environment" :) But from your answer I can tell you're not the type to care that much and you should just pursue the best research match. Lucky for you, you're choosing between two word-class institutions so neither of them has objectively better research than the other. So this:
pineapplehead wrote:Mostly I want to know, where do you think the best research is happening?
is just a silly question. You'll have to pick which place seems to have the most interesting groups to you personally.

However, it sounds to me like you're more keen on Harvard. If you visited and liked the place, just go for it! You can't go wrong here.

Failnaught

Post by Failnaught » Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:19 pm

grae313 wrote:Have you visited? The cultures and environments at these two schools are very different.
Hm... I didn't apply to these places, but Grae, might you elaborate? Now I'm curious.