what pgre score does it take to do a ms in physics?

srivatsa91

what pgre score does it take to do a ms in physics?

Post by srivatsa91 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:19 am

I mean do grad schools ask for different pgre scores for a phd and ms program? what score should be a sure hit for a ms in physics in a good place??I am an engg undergraduate from India..

spin1/2

Re: what pgre score does it take to do a ms in physics?

Post by spin1/2 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:52 am

pgre is just 1 of many aspects of your application.

research experience, letters of recommendation & your grades are more significant than the pgre.
so there's no sure hit pgre score.
look into the appilcant profiles' thread.

srivatsa91

Post by srivatsa91 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:38 am

does a phd program require a much higher score than a ms program??You guys have been speaking of 900+ to be a good one...does it hold good for a phd program?I know everything counts when it comes to admission but I am particularly concerned with the pgre scores.

thanks

CarlBrannen

Post by CarlBrannen » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:49 am

srivatsa91 wrote:does a phd program require a much higher score than a ms program??You guys have been speaking of 900+ to be a good one...does it hold good for a phd program?I know everything counts when it comes to admission but I am particularly concerned with the pgre scores.

thanks
None of the really good schools offer an MS in physics (as an objective for an incoming grad student). They offer only the PhD as an objective. But some students take the MS along the way, or on the way out of the department. But there are some schools that offer an MS only program. Sometimes these programs are offered for students who have full time jobs. They're usually not supported by the department and are more expensive.