2012 Acceptances

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

Bozostein

Re: 2012 Acceptances

Post by Bozostein » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:03 am

accepted to CUNY... i get to stay in NYC!!!

i'm back baby!

mrrsnhtl

Post by mrrsnhtl » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:23 am

grae313 wrote: I wasn't sure so I... get this... used google ;)

This site is a good start: http://www.istaxes.com/taxes/who.html

Looks like you will be refunded some things including social security and medicare. You are also subject to different exemptions. Makes sense!

King Vitamin

Post by King Vitamin » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:34 am

Stanford today, by email!

Thanks to those who congratulated me earlier in the thread. I honestly sent out my application expecting to have at best 2-3 of the top schools to choose from. Now I'm completely overwhelmed with my choices! I think my rec letters were a lot stronger than I expected.

Bozostein

Post by Bozostein » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:54 am

King Vitamin wrote:Stanford today, by email!

Thanks to those who congratulated me earlier in the thread. I honestly sent out my application expecting to have at best 2-3 of the top schools to choose from. Now I'm completely overwhelmed with my choices! I think my rec letters were a lot stronger than I expected.
if you don't mind, could you let me know what particular brand of vitamin supplement you have been taking? I want to imitate your success.

psocket

Post by psocket » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:27 am

Anyone accepted to UW Madison Astronomy?

Saw several rejections on grad cafe so far, but no acceptances. Have seen in previous years (grad cafe and here on the profiles pages) acceptances in early February as well as waitlists near the end of March. Do they just not tell people they've been waitlisted? I find it hard to believe they don't send out acceptances before rejections.

tpatt

Post by tpatt » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:47 pm

I've seen several UW-Madison acceptances (and rejections) on the 2012 profiles/results sticky topic. It takes a little effort, but scroll through those.

tpatt

Post by tpatt » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:47 pm

Has anyone heard from Rice U astro?

I've seen a few acceptances for physics but nothing from the astro side of their physics & astro dept.

tpatt

Post by tpatt » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:50 pm

psocket wrote:Anyone accepted to UW Madison Astronomy?

Saw several rejections on grad cafe so far, but no acceptances. Have seen in previous years (grad cafe and here on the profiles pages) acceptances in early February as well as waitlists near the end of March. Do they just not tell people they've been waitlisted? I find it hard to believe they don't send out acceptances before rejections.
Nevermind, all the responses were from UW-Madison's physics dept.

aravi

Post by aravi » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:59 pm

Does anyone reckon there is still hope for MIT or Boulder (physics)?

baconface

Post by baconface » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:45 pm

aravi wrote:Does anyone reckon there is still hope for MIT or Boulder (physics)?
I think historically Boulder has accepted at least a few people later than this (I've checked the past profile threads). I think someone with a profile like yours shouldn't give up (on Boulder) yet. I know nothing about MIT, though

wiak2

Post by wiak2 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:05 pm

Anyone heard anything from Arizona State's astrophysics program? I've emailed them twice with no response and haven't seen anything on grad cafe or the profiles here.

cabriner

Post by cabriner » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:05 pm

aravi wrote:Does anyone reckon there is still hope for MIT or Boulder (physics)?
Just got accepted to Boulder for HET an hour ago.
(Standard TA/RA + 2k signing bonus)

aravi

Post by aravi » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:30 pm

baconface wrote:I think historically Boulder has accepted at least a few people later than this (I've checked the past profile threads). I think someone with a profile like yours shouldn't give up (on Boulder) yet. I know nothing about MIT, though
cabriner wrote:Just got accepted to Boulder for HET an hour ago.
(Standard TA/RA + 2k signing bonus)
Thank you both for your responses. I will keep hoping then.
And congratulations cabriner! :D

ccj1

Post by ccj1 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:24 pm

@wiak2

I have emailed ASU astrophysics as well with no response, I do not know what they are doing. When I sign in my status still says "in review". I don't' get it.

Also, just got an email from Indiana astro, " YOU ARE HIGHLY PLACED ON OUR WAITLIST!", if anyone has been accepted and does not plan on going at all please turn down because I am really interested in their program. Thanks!

tpatt

Post by tpatt » Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:26 pm

ccj1 wrote:@wiak2

I have emailed ASU astrophysics as well with no response, I do not know what they are doing. When I sign in my status still says "in review". I don't' get it.

Also, just got an email from Indiana astro, " YOU ARE HIGHLY PLACED ON OUR WAITLIST!", if anyone has been accepted and does not plan on going at all please turn down because I am really interested in their program. Thanks!
I emailed the astrophysics dept at ASU also. The only response I got back was a generic, "We will be making decisions until April."

wiak2

Post by wiak2 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:49 pm

tpatt wrote:
ccj1 wrote:@wiak2

I emailed the astrophysics dept at ASU also. The only response I got back was a generic, "We will be making decisions until April."
Very odd. In past years they have been relatively prompt with their decisions, and on their website it says they started reviewing the second week of January. Guess we just have to sit and wait.

asdfuogh

Post by asdfuogh » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:44 am

Is Berkeley still sending out acceptances? :/ I guess the people who got in are too awesome to want to post on gradcafe..

transparent_silvery

Post by transparent_silvery » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:24 am

i'll be going to UCSB's visit day. i think it'd be very funny to meet the internet friends here in person. will also attend their extra day for wooing girls.

so who's going?

im also visiting other schools but not during their official open house dates.

lsaldana

Post by lsaldana » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:37 pm

asdfuogh wrote:Is Berkeley still sending out acceptances? :/ I guess the people who got in are too awesome to want to post on gradcafe..
I'm also interested in this, haven't heard anything either way from Berkeley. Anyone care to enlighten?

ale87

Post by ale87 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:24 pm

Columbia, dean fellowship today.

pamel

Post by pamel » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:58 am

Anybody heard from Syracuse / South Carolina
Last edited by pamel on Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

ccj1

Post by ccj1 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:31 am

Anybody heard anything from Georgia - Physics?

InquilineKea

Post by InquilineKea » Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:15 pm

meh, I'll just say that it's very interesting to see this graduate admissions cycle superimposed on top of the 2012 Republican Presidential Nomination cycle. The mutual suspense is so interesting, as are some of the psychological effects too.

(still waiting to hear back from two schools!)
Last edited by InquilineKea on Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

asdfuogh

Post by asdfuogh » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:15 pm

As the candidates get crazier, we get more insane?

InquilineKea

Post by InquilineKea » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:02 pm

I was more thinking of all the weird unexpected things that happen in a serial order over the span of several months.

But I suppose that counts too ^_^

That, and the consequences really don't matter for a lot of the schools (or for a lot of the states in the case of the primaries). But somehow we all like collecting them up anyways.

asdfuogh

Post by asdfuogh » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:23 am

Definitely, but to some.. more acceptances will be more than just collection! Same for Ron Paul..! The least insane candidate out of the bunch (I mean, he has some kooky ideas, but he prefers not doing anything over enforcing regulations which is better than the crap spewed by some of the crazies left.. COUGH santorum COUGH).

aravi

Post by aravi » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:03 pm

Boulder, at last.

siroy.sam

Post by siroy.sam » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:30 pm

I saw couple of acceptances from Florida State University at thegradcafe sometimes back. So far, none of the universities including FSU where I applied respond to me. Most of them have deadlines of 15th Feb and 1st March. Should I be worried now that its already 7 March?

Do physics and astronomy graduate schools usually give acceptance after taking phone/skype interviews? If yes, is the process same for both domestic and international? Should I be worried as I haven't got any invitation for skype interviews yet?

My last question is to international applicants who have got their acceptances. Did you guys all gave your interviews over phone or skype before hearing your acceptances or rejections? Unless I get any invitations for interviews in this few days, shall I assume that I am rejected? I am very much concerned.

baconface

Post by baconface » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:45 pm

aravi wrote:Boulder, at last.
I knew it :D

Congratulations, good sir, that's a fine institution for AMO!
Let me know how you like the Rockies.

Shadowknite25

Post by Shadowknite25 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:13 pm

ccj1 wrote:Anybody heard anything from Georgia - Physics?
I got accepted to Georgia Tech today 3/9 and Tulane University 3/2.

vasilis

Post by vasilis » Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:42 pm

Are there any "pure" international students who got accepted to UCLA?

sarthorks

Post by sarthorks » Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:25 am

siroy.sam wrote:I saw couple of acceptances from Florida State University at thegradcafe sometimes back. So far, none of the universities including FSU where I applied respond to me. Most of them have deadlines of 15th Feb and 1st March. Should I be worried now that its already 7 March?

Do physics and astronomy graduate schools usually give acceptance after taking phone/skype interviews? If yes, is the process same for both domestic and international? Should I be worried as I haven't got any invitation for skype interviews yet?

My last question is to international applicants who have got their acceptances. Did you guys all gave your interviews over phone or skype before hearing your acceptances or rejections? Unless I get any invitations for interviews in this few days, shall I assume that I am rejected? I am very much concerned.
As far as I know, most physics departments do not take (phone/skype) interviews - unless you are applying to the biophysics program perhaps. I did not get any interview calls, and directly received acceptances/rejections via email.

transparent_silvery

Post by transparent_silvery » Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:26 am

interview invitation from UCSD today

ccj1

Post by ccj1 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:59 pm

Oklahoma U - Physics (basically an extreme safety but I was very interested in one prof whom I worked with before) 3/9
fully funded, still nice to be accepted though, free visit

siroy.sam

Post by siroy.sam » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:12 pm

sarthorks wrote:
siroy.sam wrote:I saw couple of acceptances from Florida State University at thegradcafe sometimes back. So far, none of the universities including FSU where I applied respond to me. Most of them have deadlines of 15th Feb and 1st March. Should I be worried now that its already 7 March?

As far as I know, most physics departments do not take (phone/skype) interviews - unless you are applying to the biophysics program perhaps. I did not get any interview calls, and directly received acceptances/rejections via email.
Okay, in that case I can wait for some more time. I didn't know that interview calls are mostly uncommon to physics program.Thanks for your reply.

siroy.sam

Post by siroy.sam » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:34 pm

ccj1 wrote:Oklahoma U - Physics (basically an extreme safety but I was very interested in one prof whom I worked with before) 3/9
When did you hear from Oklahoma University? Which area of physics did you apply at OU? Is it CME or HEP-EX/theory. I am also an applicant there for HEP-EX. Did you apply at their graduate school online or directly through their physics department using the pdf format which is free of any application fees? I am asking as they encourage to apply through their department as its free. Now, I am more worried as I don't have any option to even check the status online as applicable to online applicants. To aggravate my situation, they have not assign any applicants ID to me.

giga17

Post by giga17 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:42 pm

siroy.sam wrote: When did you hear from Oklahoma University? Which area of physics did you apply at OU? Is it CME or HEP-EX/theory. I am also an applicant there for HEP-EX. Did you apply at their graduate school online or directly through their physics department using the pdf format which is free of any application fees? I am asking as they encourage to apply through their department as its free. Now, I am more worried as I don't have any option to even check the status online as applicable to online applicants. To aggravate my situation, they have not assign any applicants ID to me.
Just call/email them and ask for a status update, I'm sure they're willing to let you know.

ccj1

Post by ccj1 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:08 am

siroy.sam wrote:
ccj1 wrote:Oklahoma U - Physics (basically an extreme safety but I was very interested in one prof whom I worked with before) 3/9
When did you hear from Oklahoma University? Which area of physics did you apply at OU? Is it CME or HEP-EX/theory. I am also an applicant there for HEP-EX. Did you apply at their graduate school online or directly through their physics department using the pdf format which is free of any application fees? I am asking as they encourage to apply through their department as its free. Now, I am more worried as I don't have any option to even check the status online as applicable to online applicants. To aggravate my situation, they have not assign any applicants ID to me.
I applied through the pdf and mailed everything in so I did not have to pay the app fee. I was contacted by Prof. Bumm who is the chair of the dept. and it was about 10pm at night on friday March, 9 which was quite an odd time. I am interested in the astrophysics part of the physics dept and that is what I applied for. I have been in contact with the dept for some time and have worked with one of the profs through other colleagues. They said this was the first wave, but they will be sending out more in the next week. As for HEP or CME, Prof. Bumm is the head of CME and Prof. Kao is the head of that field. I would definitely suggest emailing either one for a status update as they are very willing to help out and let you know. I was worried about not having a way to check my status but, then again, the deadline was officially March 1 and this is still quite early. I am planning on visiting March 26 or so and they are footing the bill.

ali8

Post by ali8 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:17 am

Accepted to Leeds (UK).

No funding for international students in UK.

transparent_silvery

Post by transparent_silvery » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:01 am

UCSD will send out offers to international students this Monday.

yg9

Post by yg9 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:16 pm

transparent_silvery wrote:UCSD will send out offers to international students this Monday.
Have they done so ?

spin1/2

Post by spin1/2 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:32 pm

rice. accepted by email.
happy :)

tpatt

Post by tpatt » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:38 pm

spin1/2 wrote:rice. accepted by email.
Hey, congrats! For pure physics specialization?

siroy.sam

Post by siroy.sam » Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:36 pm

@cc1 congratulation for your acceptance at OU astro. Its one of my dream university. I will have to wait for the bulk acceptances to be sent out in the next week as you say. Best of luck for your visit at OU.

ccj1

Post by ccj1 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:53 pm

accepted San Diego State University (Masters Astronomy) 3/13

spin1/2

Post by spin1/2 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:18 pm

tpatt wrote:
spin1/2 wrote:rice. accepted by email.
Hey, congrats! For pure physics specialization?
yes. physics. pure

transparent_silvery

Post by transparent_silvery » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:47 am

yg9 wrote:
transparent_silvery wrote:UCSD will send out offers to international students this Monday.
Have they done so ?
Nope. I got another email that says my official admission letter should come this Friday.

capandbells

Post by capandbells » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:01 pm

I noticed a few acceptances from Rutgers in the profile thread, but many people still waiting for a response. There's also only one on gradcafe (and no rejections). Does anyone know what's up? Are they still sending acceptances? I tried emailing them early in February with no response.

transparent_silvery

Post by transparent_silvery » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:46 pm

To the domestic students who got accepted by UCSD,

Would you mind sending me a detailed schedule of open house activities? I need it to plan my travel, but they're being unresponsive to foreign students....

Many thanks! Air ticket price is rising ><

Avocado_number

Post by Avocado_number » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:37 pm

Open house is first week of April. I don't remember the exact date. Sorry about
that.