What counts in postdoc application?

• As many already know, studying for the physics GRE and getting accepted into a graduate program is not the final hurdle in your physics career.
  • There are many issues current physics graduate students face such as studying for their qualifier, deciding upon a field of research, choosing an advisor, being an effective teaching assistant, trying to have a social life, navigating department politics, dealing with stress, utilizing financial aid, etc.

arpit2agrawal

What counts in postdoc application?

Post by arpit2agrawal » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:19 am

If someone did PhD from 100th ranking US university but has very good publications (comparable to that by PhDs from top 20), what are chances that he'll get postdoc in top 20?

SSM

Re: What counts in postdoc application?

Post by SSM » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:26 pm

I definitely know it's possible. How would any of us know the chances?

InquilineKea

Post by InquilineKea » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:21 pm

King Vitamin

Post by King Vitamin » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:26 pm

I would guess that besides maintaining excellent research the most crucial element is that you and your advisor are excellent networkers. If you go to grad school at the top school for your field, and your advisor is a tenured professor, you essentially need no social/networking skills - you can just sit in your office and write papers with your advisor and you'll be famous because your advisor is famous. Since your advisor will be one of the foremost experts in your field, everyone will read your papers since his/her name will be on it.

At a lower ranked school it's not guaranteed that you'll "get known" in the field, but I'm sure there are professors at lower ranked schools who manage to get to know many of the top researchers in your field. You can go to conferences and otherwise contact the top people in your field (hopefully try to collaborate with them) so that the top 20 crowd is aware of your research.

arpit2agrawal

Post by arpit2agrawal » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:30 am

Thanks for the replies guys. I couldn't make into top 20 for PhD program. So I was just worried about my career after getting PhD.