Schools where I can apply

issacnewton

Schools where I can apply

Post by issacnewton » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:27 pm

Hi

I am an international male (India) , applying to foreign schools. PGRE 920 (89 %) in Nov 2011. Have got MS in physics from US school (GPA 3/4) 8 years ago and masters from India 12 years ago.Had to come back to India for some reasons. I am currently in India working as college teacher and don't have much research experience. I want to know what tier schools should I apply. Most of the deadlines for this fall are over it seems. If I have to apply for this fall, are there still any schools left ? I am interested in topics like quantum information, quantum chaos, foundations of quantum mechanics.
But it seems that only top schools do research in such areas. Since I am applying to grad programs after so many years, I want to
go in areas which I like. While I was student in US, I took undergrad courses in real analysis, linear algebra (proof based course), complex variables, probability from mathematics dept. Got 'A' in all of them. I have strong liking for pure mathematics, especially set theory and logic. I am currently self studying real analysis, set theory, abstract algebra. I am also looking into the possibilities of applying to mathematics programs. So suggest the strategies.....

thanks

blighter

Re: Schools where I can apply

Post by blighter » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:36 pm

There are still many schools for which deadlines haven't passed. Try gradschoolshopper.com and find out which ones. You've got a decent profile (at least I hope it is, for my sake). Apply as soon as you can. Include at least 10 schools with 3-4 safeties. Unfortunately I don't think there is any gradschoolshopper equivalent for math schools. So you have to look through each university separately.

On another note, most schools hardly give any importance to PGRE scores. So be modest in your choice of schools.

pqortic

Post by pqortic » Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:15 pm

I don't think any of the schools still accept applications. the latest deadline that I know was Feb 15. but if you have to apply next year that would not be bad. you already have a huge gap since yo got your masters. try to think of some good reasons for that. you might be able to do some research between now and next fall when you apply.
blighter wrote: On another note, most schools hardly give any importance to PGRE scores. So be modest in your choice of schools.
this is not true. for most schools PGRE is a gate keeper, and in your case it would actually help you a lot if you took it recently.

blighter

Post by blighter » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:36 pm

These are some of the top results on GSS.

Indiana University - Purdue University Indianapolis: March 15
Alabama Agricultural And Mechanical University: July 01

There should be more of them. A lot of master's programmes also have late deadlines.

pqortic wrote:this is not true. for most schools PGRE is a gate keeper, and in your case it would actually help you a lot if you took it recently.
PGRE is a gatekeeper alright. But it is nowhere near as important as grades or research experience, for instance. But sure, it is more important than the General GRE. Anyway right now, there are very few schools whose deadline hasn't passed yet. Just that ought to keep your choices modest.

grae313

Post by grae313 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:10 am

pqortic wrote:I don't think any of the schools still accept applications. the latest deadline that I know was Feb 15.
Wrong again. Lots of schools are still accepting applications, you just have to look outside the top 30 or 40. Quite a few are mentioned in this thread: http://www.physicsgre.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=3753

lxhrk9

Post by lxhrk9 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:40 pm

Arizona State's deadline is 3/1

pqortic

Post by pqortic » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:57 pm

Ok, some schools still accept applications but not a whole lot of them. but you don't want to go with Alabama Agricultural And Mechanical University or anything like that.

blighter

Post by blighter » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:04 pm

pqortic wrote:Ok, some schools still accept applications but not a whole lot of them. but you don't want to go with Alabama Agricultural And Mechanical University or anything like that.
:D Yeah! GSS lists schools alphabetically. So, that came up at the top, if it wasn't clear already.

EDIT: Although I have to admit, I am considering that school for a second master's.
Last edited by blighter on Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

scintillahx

Post by scintillahx » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:41 pm

schools that have late deadlines-----
you probably want to check whether they still have funding for international students. I noticed that a couple of schools have different deadlines too.

I remember Lehigh has a really late deadline, maybe around march 1st.

issacnewton

Post by issacnewton » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:47 pm

sorry for late reply. I didn't get email notifications. Since I will need to arrange for recommendations, which takes time, this
year might be too late it seems. But I got good PGRE. I am also thinking of taking maths GRE this year.