Anyone else not heard back from anywhere yet?

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

dfeld31

Anyone else not heard back from anywhere yet?

Post by dfeld31 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:14 pm

I've applied to 10 schools and haven't heard any decisions yet. Is this normal? Anyone else in the same boat?

Hellas

Re: Anyone else not heard back from anywhere yet?

Post by Hellas » Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:33 pm

I applied to 14 programs and not a word yet from any. i have been seeing some people updating their profiles saying they were accepted/invited for an interview with some of the schools i applied to. not sure if that means im pretty much not getting in those places or if it means nothing at all. id guess the majority of people havent heard much if anything at all yet

hardenbr00k

Post by hardenbr00k » Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:53 pm

I applied to 8 for HEP-EX. I haven't seen much happening with any of the schools I applied to, much less hearing any actual news.

Harvard - nothing
Princeton - nothing
UCSB - nothing
Chicago - saw some offers but not for HEP-EX
MIT - bunch of fakes showed up a week or so ago on gradcafe
Caltech - talked to a prof, they haven't really begun the process
Stanford - nothing (but from past years stanford's first offers come the latest)
Berkeley - saw a couple offers on gradcafe couldn't find information on the program.

Hausdorff

Post by Hausdorff » Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:04 pm

15 and nothing
Patience Anakin, Patience!

holycow

Post by holycow » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:10 pm

14 and nothing here.

But being international I expect it to come slower than usual.

SSM

Post by SSM » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:14 pm

It's completely normal. Don't panic until late March.

dfeld31

Post by dfeld31 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:29 pm

But where's the fun in this if there isn't any panicking

midwestphysics

Post by midwestphysics » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:31 pm

dfeld31 wrote:But where's the fun in this if there isn't any panicking
Fun? It's annoying to watch in the beginning, and sad to watch in the end.

quizivex

Post by quizivex » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:56 pm

This panicking is nothing compared to past years... the "Fall 2008 acceptances" thread was several pages of panic long before acceptances even started coming in... People (including me) started fretting in mid-January that they hadn't gotten any responses yet lol...

Check out that thread if you're bored... there are some classic lines such as:
xdebugger on Jan 17, 2008 wrote:So nobody has gotten accepted to anywhere yet? This threat is making me quite nervous...
schandre wrote:I'd be a lot more nervous if this threat was 200 posts long and most people had already gotten their acceptance letters while I hadn't. :wink:
The juiciest posts in that thread were so confrontational that they were banned to the abyss of the lounge.
RG wrote:goodfromnear, your sentence is inconsistent and contradicts to itself.
How can a starving girl rape "RG" ( I am not using me coz, I don wanna be raped by a starving girl) if she is already so weak and hungry? From where will she bring all that strength to fight a guy and rape him( assuming that she was able to fight)! of course there would not be the fighting sequence on this scene if the hungry girl were hot!

asdfuogh

Post by asdfuogh » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:22 am

How did they get from responses to a starving girl rapist??

InquilineKea

Post by InquilineKea » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:23 am

PS: for those who are desperate, there are still a few open programs in Physics that you can try for.

Deadlines for Iowa State and New Hampshire are on Feb. 15. Mississippi and North Dakota are on March 1st. Kansas is on April 1st. For Montana State, it's in the middle of summer. For South Dakota, it's 6-8 weeks before classes start. North Dakota State is 1 month before registration for classes.

kangaroo

Post by kangaroo » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:26 am

InquilineKea wrote:PS: for those who are desperate, there are still a few open programs in Physics that you can try for.

Deadlines for Iowa State and New Hampshire are on Feb. 15. Mississippi and North Dakota are on March 1st. Kansas is on April 1st. For Montana State, it's in the middle of summer. For South Dakota, it's 6-8 weeks before classes start. North Dakota State is 1 month before registration for classes.
The return of the great enabler. I'm so excited at the return of the Messiah. :roll:

alphanumeric

Post by alphanumeric » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:58 pm

sadly, there is no upvote on physicsGRE.com

CarlBrannen

Post by CarlBrannen » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:47 pm

This was the time I began panicking last year and indeed, all of my applications were rejected.

The reason I knew this was a problem was because the school that I thought I would most easily get into (University of Washington) had already sent out its early acceptances.

ALL the schools send out their rejections mostly after they send acceptances. Different schools send them out at different times of the year. But any given school is likely to be quite consistent in what time they send them out. So you can go to grad cafe and look up the 2011 and 2010 data and see whether you're still in the running, or are in the giant "wait-lists".

Hellas

Post by Hellas » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:51 pm

just got an email from UC Davis saying they will have a decision by sunday morning. thats the first thing ive heard from any of the schools i applied to...pretty nervous.

wavygravy

Post by wavygravy » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:03 pm

UC Davis emailed my today (2/13) saying a decision was being made and I could check it on Thursday (2/16) Fingers crossed.

@(person above me): did you hear back on Sunday? ... ~cheers

baconface

Post by baconface » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:37 pm

Got the same message from UC Davis. A little paranoid that it will be a rejection, as my app is likely not one that would get accepted this early...

wavygravy

Post by wavygravy » Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:41 pm

yes, Davis was one of the better programs I applied to as well, I hope it isn't a rejection but I guess we'll see. Good luck. a little ray of hope is that on all past years, from what I have seen, Davis doesn't reject people until the first week of march. if anyone has input (for or against this idea), i'd love to hear it. ~cheers

Hellas

Post by Hellas » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:33 pm

@wavygravy

sadly i was rejected. i noticed that trend as well that most their acceptances were around this time but unfortunately i wasnt one of them. well good luck to you guys...hope you guys get some good news

bfollinprm

Post by bfollinprm » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:45 pm

Talked to the chair of admissions here @ Davis...you should hear back tomorrow, and it isn't necessarily a rejection--that email came from the grad office, not the department.

wavygravy

Post by wavygravy » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:08 pm

@Hellas

Im sorry to hear that friend, good luck with the rest of your apps, thanks for the input

@bfollinprm
thank you sir for talking to the chair, I really hope I get a good email tomorrow, but otherwise at least I will have heard from somewhere.

I appreciate the response from both of you

~cheers

siroy.sam

Post by siroy.sam » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:48 am

Applied to following 6 universities for HEP-EX:

Florida State University
University of Mississippi
Alabama University,Tuscalloosa
University of South Carolina
Oklahoma University
Northern illinois University

Not a single response so far! May be its because most of them have deadlines of 15th Feb and 1st March. This long waiting is driving me crazy as I am an international applicant with mediocre profile. Huh...!?

hyc34

Post by hyc34 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:51 pm

After being accepted to UIUC, not a single response from the rest of universities I applied to. And this week is even worse since people started to post their offers on gradcafe. It seems that's it for me.

Hausdorff

Post by Hausdorff » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:32 pm

At least you have one admission.
The only place I got accepted so far is my uncle's farm.

grae313

Post by grae313 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:16 pm

I wouldn't worry too much until the end of next week. If you haven't heard anything by then, it's time to be nervous. I'd say most (not all, but most) acceptances have gone out by the end of February, though some schools lag a third wave of acceptances into early March.

dfeld31

Post by dfeld31 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:38 pm

When is it appropriate to start inquiring about my app. This is getting a little ridiculous... no responses yet! I don't wanna get myself rejected... how are these emails usually worded?

TakeruK

Post by TakeruK » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:42 pm

dfeld31 wrote:When is it appropriate to start inquiring about my app. This is getting a little ridiculous... no responses yet! I don't wanna get myself rejected... how are these emails usually worded?
I would be surprised if, after considering the whole application package, an email asking about your status would end up "getting you rejected". I think the "rejected upon inquiry" status updates are a result of a rejection decision having been made by the committee but not yet forwarded to the Department/Graduate School/website-status-updater people yet. Could be caused by a lag time between communication between these groups, or the committee wanting to send out all decisions (positive and negative) at once, and they may have already narrowed the field down to say 20 candidates -- so they know for sure who some of the rejections are.

midwestphysics

Post by midwestphysics » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:21 pm

grae313 wrote:I wouldn't worry too much until the end of next week. If you haven't heard anything by then, it's time to be nervous. I'd say most (not all, but most) acceptances have gone out by the end of February, though some schools lag a third wave of acceptances into early March.
Generally I agree, though when the admissions deadline passed makes a big difference. If it was a December deadline yes, end of the week/month. If January, it can be a toss up but generally the same. And, if it was this month, as some are, no need to panic for a while.

ccj1

Post by ccj1 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:00 pm

Anybody heard anything from Florida State Physics? I know the deadline was Feb. 15, but are there any early acceptances out there anywhere?

alphanumeric

Post by alphanumeric » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:03 pm

ccj1 wrote:Anybody heard anything from Florida State Physics? I know the deadline was Feb. 15, but are there any early acceptances out there anywhere?
A girl from my class got an acceptance a couple days ago, she was surprised it came back so fast. I know nothing else.

pamel

Post by pamel » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:17 am

Anybody got admits from Syracuse.

ccj1

Post by ccj1 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:42 am

Anybody heard anything from Georgia - Physics?

alphanumeric

Post by alphanumeric » Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:21 am

pamel wrote:Anybody got admits from Syracuse.
A classmate of mine got in a few weeks ago.

InquilineKea

Post by InquilineKea » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:56 am

midwestphysics wrote:
grae313 wrote:I wouldn't worry too much until the end of next week. If you haven't heard anything by then, it's time to be nervous. I'd say most (not all, but most) acceptances have gone out by the end of February, though some schools lag a third wave of acceptances into early March.
Generally I agree, though when the admissions deadline passed makes a big difference. If it was a December deadline yes, end of the week/month. If January, it can be a toss up but generally the same. And, if it was this month, as some are, no need to panic for a while.
Yeah - it really does depend on school. Columbia, for some reason, often doesn't send out its acceptances to *top* applicants until early March for some reason (this is true for EESC and Physics, at the very least).