Should i be worried

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

lets_get_physical

Should i be worried

Post by lets_get_physical » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:51 pm

So I didn't email professors at the schools Ive applied to because I'm not sure which area of research I want to go into, and I didn't want to "commit" to any research group in particular. After reading around on this site it seems this may not be the best choice. Am I at a disadvantage for not emailing professors? And if so, should I start emailing now?

tpatt

Re: Should i be worried

Post by tpatt » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:28 pm

I don't know if you should be worried. I contacted and spoke with research professors at several schools, and I haven't received any acceptances yet. I also don't know if it's too late. My attempt to contact some researchers, at a school which I hadn't and much previous interaction, resulted in an expedited "rejection" email.

I think the main things (grades, GREs, LORs, research, and your personal statement) will be what makes or breaks us all. The interaction with profs might help a little, but probably won't be a deciding factor.

midwestphysics

Post by midwestphysics » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:42 pm

Don't worry about it, and don't start emailing now. At least that's my opinion. At this point they're swamped with research, classes, app reviews. If you were to have done it you should have done it long before. Even then unless you have a solid reason for contacting them I always advise against the generic b.s. emails.

abhishodh

Post by abhishodh » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:14 pm

Most selections are made by an admission committee. Talking to a someone would not change much in my opinion.

lets_get_physical

Post by lets_get_physical » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:13 pm

I kinda thought that too but some posts on here make it seem like professors will go the admissions committee and tell them to accept you or something.

kangaroo

Post by kangaroo » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:18 am

lets_get_physical wrote:I kinda thought that too but some posts on here make it seem like professors will go the admissions committee and tell them to accept you or something.
Notice that most of those "posts" are parroted by a certain someone. If you're good, you're good, and you don't have to worry. If you're bad, no amount of ass-kissing will help you.

ccj1

Post by ccj1 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:29 am

I just wanted to add my opinion about a positive experience. I happened to email a prof for research at a school that I had not been admitted to and he said "oh yeah I have your file right here not 2 feet from me and was interested in your research. We normally pass around the promising files to all the faculty". Two days later I received a call from the head of the physics dept recommending me for admission, two days after that, an official acceptance with full support! (I also met and had lunch with a famous astronomer from this school when he was out here in Tucson observing, but I do not know if that had anything to do with the decision or not.) I believe it did help and I have also made it a point to email EVERY prof at EVERY school I applied to (15 schools) who shares my research interests (observational astronomy) just so they recognize my name and it stands out when that file comes across their desk and to let them know that I am extremely passionate about going to grad school even though I have a bad PGRE score. Apparently this has worked, I have been admitted to two programs with full support and wait listed at two others so far!