Applied Physics w/o GRE scores

mumaga

Applied Physics w/o GRE scores

Post by mumaga » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:52 am

Hi,

I have done my General GRE and Subject Test last year, and had really bad marks: Q730, P630. I was wondering if any of you can help me out with schools that do not require the GRE scores in applied physics, or ones which are ok with the above if you can think of any?

Thank you very much...

Kind Regards,

Mustafa

ali8

Re: Applied Physics w/o GRE scores

Post by ali8 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:35 pm

You didn't mention the PGRE. Also, you didn't mention your GPA and any possible research experience.

mumaga

Post by mumaga » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:37 pm

Q 77%, PGRE 39% :( no research experience. i have two bachelors, one in electric engineering class A degree, and the other is in physics, but it is by distance learning and has no GPA... :(:( TOO BAD I KNOW! i am applying to the fulbright scholarship, and i just want to put some preferred schools for study for them to consider IF i was accepted...only for masters.

bfollinprm

Post by bfollinprm » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:57 am

I'm under the impression that many schools in the top 40 do not require PGRE at least from their grad students in applied science (the broader term for what normally passes as the applied physics departmnets). For instance, here at UC Davis we never did, but we also stopped accepting applications since the funding for the department got cut, so maybe that's saying something.

mumaga

Post by mumaga » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:51 am

well, thank you for your reply. I read somewhere as well that the UCs are limiting the international students they are accepting because of the funding, and i believe that might be a general trend through out the country as a result of the financial problems. I hope that i can get the scholarship so that i might have a better chance, hopefully!

Kind Regards,

Mustafa...

bfollinprm

Post by bfollinprm » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:06 am

mumaga wrote:well, thank you for your reply. I read somewhere as well that the UCs are limiting the international students they are accepting because of the funding, and i believe that might be a general trend through out the country as a result of the financial problems. I hope that i can get the scholarship so that i might have a better chance, hopefully!

Kind Regards,

Mustafa...
I dont think applied science always ties their admission to funding the way physics does. Meaning you can get in without being funded, so funding should be less of an issue in the admission process. It's a bummer if you don't get money, though...

mumaga

Post by mumaga » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:37 am

yeah, it would be fun if i dont get funded :'(

last year i have applied to theoretical physics at a few prestigious universities, and had the audacity to ask for funding from them. i dont think that i was living in reality :S im tryin to be realistic this time

thanks

ali8

Post by ali8 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:42 pm

Try EE departments with research related to your interests.

I know physics is different, but some areas are overlapping (spintronics, quantum computing) to some degree.

CarlBrannen

Post by CarlBrannen » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:44 pm

Look for a 2nd tier school that specializes in training experimental physicists. You have the experimental knowledge most students have to learn the hard way (using the PI's time and money). That makes you pretty useful around a lab. And your score isn't desperately bad. You beat a lot of physics graduates and probably have the smarts to pass the qualifying exams at a 2nd tier school, especially after taking a year or two of graduate physics classes. (If possible, look into this last one if they make their old exams public.)

pythy

Post by pythy » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:05 am

2nd tier being?

CarlBrannen

Post by CarlBrannen » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:42 am

pythy wrote:2nd tier being?
Middle third.

As it turns out, the top 1/3 of schools have by far the largest physics departments. So the average student attending a middle 1/3 school is probably below the 50% level (even after taking into account the likely assumption that the really bad students don't get into grad school).