Queries on changing stream to Physics from Engineering

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

dibyo

Queries on changing stream to Physics from Engineering

Post by dibyo » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:54 pm

Hi everyone,
I am a new member of this community and seem to hope that finally all my questions will be answered. :)
To start, I am currently studying in 2nd year of Bachelor in Mechanical Engineering at Jadavpur University, Kolkata, India. I want to change my stream to Theoretical Physics after the completion of undergrad degree. I am currently self-studying a bit, e.g. Feynman lectures, OCW MIT course, don't know what else to do. :( I have absolutely zero research or summer intern experiences.
So what should I do now? I know I'll have to do research work and/or summer intern. Where and how should I apply for in India? Also I need help regarding my studies, e.g. which books/materials to follow etc.
Another important thing is that where'll I get letters of recommendation? Since my profs are Mechanical Engineers, will their recommendation be of any value to the grad schools?
Do I even stand a chance to get admitted to any of the top 20 schools, with scholarship? I badly need good advices. With thnx in advance, dibyo.

bfollinprm

Re: Queries on changing stream to Physics from Engineering

Post by bfollinprm » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:53 pm

The honest response is switching into physics is hard. You might consider applied physics programs, which accept engineering students.

dibyo

Post by dibyo » Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:49 am

Hmm.. But atleast can anyone suggest which institutions in India should I contact in order to attend summer programmes? Also how am I going to convince them of my suitability for the programme? Finally, someone please suggest the books for physics.

bfollinprm

Post by bfollinprm » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:45 am

The part I can answer:

You should read the books on Electromagnetism, Quantum Mechanics, and Statistical Physics by Griffiths and also by Landau and Lifshitz. Also grab Goldsteins Classical Mechanics, and Boas for your Mathematical Physics.

pqortic

Post by pqortic » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:27 pm

See this topic and search in other topics:

http://www.physicsgre.com/viewtopic.php ... cs+#p25904