Question about Physics

• If you want to know something about the GRE subject test in physics then chances are you will find it in here.
  • If something about the physics GRE it isn't already discussed in here then please put it in here.

Rachel

Question about Physics

Post by Rachel » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:12 pm

I am interested in what I am thinking is "Quantum Physics" but I am not sure if I am using the correct terminology. I am hoping someone can help guide me toward the name of what I'll describe that my interest is in.

I am very much enjoying topics about time/space existing all at the same time, that the power of the observer very much creates the world he sees, the power of one's thoughts determine their own reality, the existence of the astral planes, and such topics as these--the various laws of the universe (law of attraction, of gratitude, etc.). I understand that these are all based in science (what I think may be called Quantum Physics) and have been proven. I am very much interested in these sorts of issues, but have NO background in science or mathematical calculations, etc. whatsoever. I am wondering if anyone has advice on where to look or perhaps the name of another topic, or maybe even to verify what these topics would be categorized as. I am a musician seeking a PHD but perhaps not in music, since my other degrees are in that. I would love to do research to tie the quantum ideas together with music, but need the background in the sciences to do so.

Any help is appreciated!

Rachel

midwestphysics

Re: Question about Physics

Post by midwestphysics » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:23 pm

Rachel wrote:I am interested in what I am thinking is "Quantum Physics" but I am not sure if I am using the correct terminology. I am hoping someone can help guide me toward the name of what I'll describe that my interest is in.

I am very much enjoying topics about time/space existing all at the same time, that the power of the observer very much creates the world he sees, the power of one's thoughts determine their own reality, the existence of the astral planes, and such topics as these--the various laws of the universe (law of attraction, of gratitude, etc.). I understand that these are all based in science (what I think may be called Quantum Physics) and have been proven. I am very much interested in these sorts of issues, but have NO background in science or mathematical calculations, etc. whatsoever. I am wondering if anyone has advice on where to look or perhaps the name of another topic, or maybe even to verify what these topics would be categorized as. I am a musician seeking a PHD but perhaps not in music, since my other degrees are in that. I would love to do research to tie the quantum ideas together with music, but need the background in the sciences to do so.

Any help is appreciated!

Rachel
:lol: Classic. Definitely don't bother with physics.

I love that you put "the astral planes" and "the various laws of the universe" in the same sentence. That's like asking for the formulas that prove the laws of science fiction. lol
However, if you want to study what you've describe you can actually do that, as sad as that is. There are two ways, you can major in philosophy with a concentration on religion, or do a lot of illicit drugs. Neither one is good for your brain or checkbook, in fact, I'm not sure what they're good for.

bfollinprm

Post by bfollinprm » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:44 pm

Not really fair...she isn't trying to be a scientist. None of these things have the meaning you expect they do, but I'll give a rundown of the things I understand, so you can find a popular science book that explains the basics in a simplified way. I wouldn't do the PhD to get the scientific background, the understanding is much harder to get to than you think, and you'll be disappointed at what you find.

Space-time vs. Space/Time is a result of the general theory of relativity. Books include:
Relativity: The Special and the General Theory (Einstein himself, takes some work to get through without prior training)
Black Holes and Time Warps: Einstein's Outrageous Legacy (Kip Thorne, makes some simiplifications)

Observation affecting the universe (really a lie, but take poetic license) is a result of quantum mechanics. Books:
The Quantum World: Quantum Physics for Everyone (a little technical, but just enough info to actually give some understanding)
Introducing Quantum Theory: A Graphic Guide (very philosophical and kind of reductive, but a breeze to read/look at)

the power of one's thoughts determine their own reality--Not science, but Hume/Spinoza/Leibniz/Descartes are philosophers who discuss this in fairly technical terms, with as close to mathematical precision as you can get with this sort of topic. In general, also, you might be referring to the difference between physical theories and the actual physical processes they're meant to model, which can never be shown to converge (in this sense, our understanding of the universe (our reality) is dependent on our thoughts).

the existence of the astral planes?? Do you mean extra dimensions? String theory maybe? Leave this alone.

Minovsky

Post by Minovsky » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:34 am

Rachel wrote:I am interested in what I am thinking is "Quantum Physics" but I am not sure if I am using the correct terminology. I am hoping someone can help guide me toward the name of what I'll describe that my interest is in.

Any help is appreciated!

Rachel
To answer your first question, what you describe is not what is called "Quantum Physics". Generally speaking, Quantum Physics is the physics of small, discrete objects/properties. An example of a quantum object is a photon, and an example of a quantum property is the energy levels of an electron. The term "quantum" originates from the same root as "quantity", i.e. an amount. The "-um" suffix implies a small amount.

As for investigating the "law of attraction, of gratitude, etc.", you might be interested in behavioral neuroscience or psychology. Neuroscience can be a gateway to explore the interaction of the brain with listening/playing music. There has actually been some very interesting research done on this topic.

From the perspective of physics, the power of one's thoughts cannot determine their own reality or create the world they see since nature is what she is and no amount of hard thinking by a human can change that. Of course the power of one's thoughts can determine how one perceives their own reality (which is maybe what you meant?). This is more like philosophy.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "astral planes"...

bfollinprm

Post by bfollinprm » Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:33 pm

Oh, I should mention (because I don't get to use my philosophy degree very much) that the idea that our thoughts determine reality is kind of out of vogue. Philosophers have now moved on to the ascription that our words (descriptors and relations) determine reality.

Read Philosophical Investigations by Wittgenstein.

ChalkBoard

Post by ChalkBoard » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:23 pm

If you are interested in philosophy of Quantum Mechanics, try reading David Albert's book "Quantum Mechanics and Experience". It requires some math skills, but for the most part he explains all the mathematics involved in a very comprehensible manner. It is a wonderful book that gives a lot of insight into the philosophy of physics:

http://www.amazon.com/Quantum-Mechanics ... 0674741137