Desperate seeking suggestion

zhu

Desperate seeking suggestion

Post by zhu » Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:31 pm

I have went through all the previous years application result. I found that not many has the same background as mine. Feeling pretty much screwed up, I need suggestion.

About Me:

Chinese student studied in US tiny liberal art college, no physics reputation and I am the only one physics major.
Major: Physics & Math
Length: 3 yr
PGRE: 790 72%
GRE: will take on Nov 26th
GPA 3.9
Research: One year irrelevant computer science research on 3D filming. I did the electronics. The research results in a international conference talk and a paper.
Other Experience: Electronics class TA and Intro Physics Lab Assistant

Since I am Chinese, am I just competing with other Chinese in the international pool? If so, PGRE probably kills me, but will my US education background help me in this case?

I feel so regretful that I should have done these things during 3 years college.
1: persuade my parents to buy me a green card
2: go for a trans-gender surgery
3: go for plastic surgery so that I could pretend to be not Chinese.

Open for any school selection suggestion

twinb87

Re: Desperate seeking suggestion

Post by twinb87 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:44 pm

Based on the fact you went to a tiny liberal arts school in the US for your undergrad, I believe your PGRE score (and profile in general) will be compared to domestic students and not Chinese students. Therefore, your score of 790 really isn't that bad at all so don't feel like you are doomed.

zhu

Post by zhu » Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:55 pm

Thanks twinb87. Not sure when this doomed feeling will vanish. Hoping frat house will throw a party tonight. I want immersed myself in debauch.

CarlBrannen

Post by CarlBrannen » Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:20 pm

zhu wrote:Research: One year irrelevant computer science research on 3D filming. I did the electronics. The research results in a international conference talk and a paper.
Other Experience: Electronics class TA and Intro Physics Lab Assistant
Make sure you talk a lot about this. Every experimental lab needs people who can make electronics.