OSU practice questions

AriAstronomer

OSU practice questions

Post by AriAstronomer » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:56 am

Hey everyone,
So I'm just about ready to start my first practice test, and have gone through the entire Serway physics book (apparently like Resnick). The only bummer is that it didn't include quantum or atomic physics (apparently it's included in the extended version, but I didn't get it :mrgreen: ), so I'm just trying to brush up on quantum before trying the test, and came across this link: http://www.physics.ohio-state.edu/undergrad/ugs_gre.php

I figure these practice questions for quantum would get me up to speed, and was about to try them when I noticed they are numbered. Are these the quantum questions pulled from GRE practice exams? If they are I don't want to try them yet and need to shop around for more quantum GRE practice material, but if they're just pulled from various textbooks I think it would be good practice.

Can anyone who has done the 5 practice GRE tests answer this for me?

Also, do Legendre polynomials show up anywhere in QM PGRE? Those formulas get pretty heavy, and there could potentially be alot to memorize there. Same goes for the Rodriguez Formula (for hydrogen atom).

Thanks,
Ari

physicsworks

Re: OSU practice questions

Post by physicsworks » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:41 am

AriAstronomer wrote:Are these the quantum questions pulled from GRE practice exams?
Yes, these are the questions pulled from official GRE tests released by ETS. Nothing new
AriAstronomer wrote:If they are I don't want to try them yet and need to shop around for more quantum GRE practice material, but if they're just pulled from various textbooks I think it would be good practice.
A lot of questions on the real exam are from Griffiths' "Introduction to QM". This is the BEST practice for quantum section of the PGRE.
AriAstronomer wrote:Also, do Legendre polynomials show up anywhere in QM PGRE? Those formulas get pretty heavy, and there could potentially be alot to memorize there. Same goes for the Rodriguez Formula (for hydrogen atom).
NO

AriAstronomer

Re: OSU practice questions

Post by AriAstronomer » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:26 am

Thanks very much physicsworks!