Started to study for GRE.. Need some help!

• If you want to know something about the GRE subject test in physics then chances are you will find it in here.
  • If something about the physics GRE it isn't already discussed in here then please put it in here.

Star

Started to study for GRE.. Need some help!

Post by Star » Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:43 am

Dear friends..
I'm going to study for PGRE and I have 3 months time for that.. I want to get a very good score like above 900.. From what I read in this site, I got that I have to read the book "Problems in general physics" and right now I downloaded it and it went into my program to solve them all.. I'm also studying Holiday and I have heard that all 4 volumes of this book is enough in order to get a good score.. So I'm going to slove all its problems too.. But I surmise that maybe it will take more than 3months or maybe it is not enough and I have to read more and more about Quantum or Optics or Special Relativity... Would you please help me?!
Thank you..
Star..

bfollinprm

Re: Started to study for GRE.. Need some help!

Post by bfollinprm » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:03 am

If you know the basic quantum equations, the basic thermo questions, e&m, and classical mechanics, covered by Halliday, you're more than set. It is a lot of work, but if you devoted 8 hrs a day to it, you've got enough time.

physicsworks

Post by physicsworks » Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:36 pm

Where did you read on this forum that in order to score above 900 you need to solve ALL problems from Irodov's book? :) The real PGRE problems are simpler than the majority of problems in this book. Furthermore, solving ALL of the problems from one book that was not written specifically for the PGRE preparation is a waste of time. Instead of this, take a look at officially released tests and by solving them identify your weaknesses. Then you will be able to choose what problems you actually need to solve in order to improve your score on the real test.

pqortic

Post by pqortic » Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:04 pm

the amount of time needed to get prepared and cover the materials depends on how determined you are and how efficient your studying hours are. 3 months is good enough if you can put together a schedule for yourself and stick to it.

Star

Post by Star » Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:31 pm

How can I get which problems of this book are important to solve.. Actually all of them seem lovely to solve! :D
I have only those four GRE sample tests of ETS.. Don't know whether there are more or not...

physicsworks

Post by physicsworks » Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:10 pm

Star wrote:How can I get which problems of this book are important to solve..
after you solve officially released tests you will see what topics are difficult for you. That's it.