Creating a webpage to show the admissions committee?

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

InquilineKea

Creating a webpage to show the admissions committee?

Post by InquilineKea » Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:21 pm

Has anyone else done it? And if so, did the adcoms look at it?

I know someone who did it (under a professor's suggestion) - his webpage is at http://students.washington.edu/codeblue/ . And one of the potential professors explicitly contacted him and told him that he liked it how he shared one of his interests. That being said, he's in atmospheric science and not physics.

I've created a webpage myself too. It's still a bit disorganized for now though (for now, I've mostly used it to link all my academic interests together).

WhoaNonstop

Re: Creating a webpage to show the admissions committee?

Post by WhoaNonstop » Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:38 pm

InquilineKea wrote:Has anyone else done it? And if so, did the adcoms look at it?

I know someone who did it (under a professor's suggestion) - his webpage is at http://students.washington.edu/codeblue/ . And one of the potential professors explicitly contacted him and told him that he liked it how he shared one of his interests. That being said, he's in atmospheric science and not physics.

I've created a webpage myself too. It's still a bit disorganized for now though (for now, I've mostly used it to link all my academic interests together).
In light of this question, does anyone know if starting a Youtube channel and posting musical covers will be beneficial?

-Riley

bfollinprm

Post by bfollinprm » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:59 pm

I made one to post a link to my publications, undergrad thesis, etc. I had a few hits, and 1-2 professors mention they looked at it. I doubt, though, it had much of an impact, other than to make me look a little more professional to applicants.

YodaT

Post by YodaT » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:59 pm

I made a website (not yet visible to the public)... mainly because I've been hit hard by insomnia and programming distracts me :cry: . Just do it if you have nothing better to do. Perhaps someone at admissions will be bored enough one day and go to your link (or google you). Just keep the keg party/one-night stands/video game convention pics off of it.