Choice between two LOR's

beefpatty

Choice between two LOR's

Post by beefpatty » Fri May 13, 2011 10:25 am

I've lurked for awhile but this is my first post.

So right now I can get one strong LOR from a (I think) well-known professor I am doing research with and another one from a non-prof with a physics PhD who has publications that I am also doing research with and who always praises me for my work. The problem is the 3rd LOR and I have two options.

Professor A: Did about 6 months of theory research in the Fall in String Theory. I had to basically read chapters from a textbook and then present the material to him one-on-one. It was a great learning experience and he already agreed to write a LOR for me. My concerns are that I'm not sure how the LOR would turn out (not that I have reason to believe he would write negatively about me) and he is a professor overseas (Japan) so I don't know how committees view that.

Professor B: Got an A in his modern physics course and seemed to make a strong impression with him. He has previously written two LOR's for me for other things and I know from an adviser that one of them he wrote was very strong and helped get me into my exchange program. My concerns are that I am going into my 4th year and that class with him was in the Fall of my sophomore year.

Thanks for any help or advice.

pqortic

Re: Choice between two LOR's

Post by pqortic » Fri May 13, 2011 2:00 pm

I would recommend that you contact each of the professors and ask them if they remember you and your work. tell them that grad school is a big deal and if they are still willing to write a strong recommendation for you. but generally, since you are going to do research in graduate school, letter coming from a research adviser would weigh more than the one from a course professor.

beefpatty

Re: Choice between two LOR's

Post by beefpatty » Sat May 14, 2011 6:27 pm

Sorry for the late reply and thanks for the advice. :mrgreen: