City Discussion

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

desperatephysicist

Re: City Discussion

Post by desperatephysicist » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:40 pm

negru wrote:
desperatephysicist wrote:I am going to UMBC next fall. school is located between Baltimore and Washington D.C. closer to Baltimore though. does anybody have any suggestion for housing that area? what do you think about the life there?

Thanks
My guess would be that it's carbon based
Interesting!!

desperatephysicist

Post by desperatephysicist » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:48 pm

bfollinprm wrote:
desperatephysicist wrote:I am going to UMBC next fall. school is located between Baltimore and Washington D.C. closer to Baltimore though. does anybody have any suggestion for housing that area? what do you think about the life there?

Thanks
If you want any fun you'll try to live in the Baltimore harbor area. UMBC is pretty much a suburb; undergrads manufacture their fun (alcohol) but it wont be long before you'll want no part in that. In any case, it isn't that pricy to live in Baltimore, so you probably can afford a car, a nice addition to the east coast since Philly and DC are day trips, along with the beach (Ocean City, Annapolis, Rehoboth) and hiking (the Appalachian Trail).
I don't think I get to drive a car very soon. I was mainly interested to know about the safer neighbourhoods. I have heard some rumors about the high crime rate at Baltimore. besides I learned that shuttles don't go to down town at all.

Ateowa

Post by Ateowa » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:16 pm

A close friend of mine goes to UMBC. From what I hear, people mostly live on campus or are commuting from home. It's far enough away from downtown Baltimore that I don't think you have to worry about crime, although the part of Baltimore it's closest to isn't the safest part. It seems that the housing around the school is pretty safe (Although some isn't in the best shape).

UMBC does have a function to search for housing through the school. If I were you, I probably wouldn't live in a place that wasn't listed. Here's the search function: http://www.umbc.edu/och/. By the way, I'm not sure if you're into theater, but UMBC's program is actually pretty good. Definitely go see a show if you get the chance!

I know that UMBC is a bit boring, but if you make good friends they'll know about all the fun stuff going on in Baltimore. I love that city, but there's not much outside of the Harbor area.

bfollinprm

Post by bfollinprm » Wed May 04, 2011 1:09 pm

desperatephysicist wrote:
bfollinprm wrote:

Thanks
If you want any fun you'll try to live in the Baltimore harbor area. UMBC is pretty much a suburb; undergrads manufacture their fun (alcohol) but it wont be long before you'll want no part in that. In any case, it isn't that pricy to live in Baltimore, so you probably can afford a car, a nice addition to the east coast since Philly and DC are day trips, along with the beach (Ocean City, Annapolis, Rehoboth) and hiking (the Appalachian Trail).
I don't think I get to drive a car very soon. I was mainly interested to know about the safer neighbourhoods. I have heard some rumors about the high crime rate at Baltimore. besides I learned that shuttles don't go to down town at all.
Yeah...no car means you're going to be living near the campus, which basically means the suburbs (Catonsville). So, no crime, but not a lot of off-campus housing options either. There really isn't a public transportation system in baltimore...though Amtrak can get you around.