Help me applying for PhD

champa33

Help me applying for PhD

Post by champa33 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:49 pm

Hi all,
I am doing M.Sc Physics in a reputed university in India. I have completed engineering in Electronics and Communications. Both my strength and interest in Physics pulled me towards it. I am interested to apply for PhD in US universities.

Would my degree in engineering and then to science affect my chances of getting admission?
I have taken GRE thrice, I don't know why, but I screwed my Quant score Second time and had to inevitably take another test.
760 Quant + 600 Verbal. Would writing GRE many time cast a negative impression on my application?

I also have to take TOEFL and PGRE this year.
I have done some summer work in a top institution. Hope, I ll get good recos.
Please help me.

HappyQuark

Re: Help me applying for PhD

Post by HappyQuark » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:01 pm

champa33 wrote:Hi all,
I am doing M.Sc Physics in a reputed university in India. I have completed engineering in Electronics and Communications. Both my strength and interest in Physics pulled me towards it. I am interested to apply for PhD in US universities.

Would my degree in engineering and then to science affect my chances of getting admission?
I have taken GRE thrice, I don't know why, but I screwed my Quant score Second time and had to inevitably take another test.
760 Quant + 600 Verbal. Would writing GRE many time cast a negative impression on my application?

I also have to take TOEFL and PGRE this year.
I have done some summer work in a top institution. Hope, I ll get good recos.
Please help me.
760 for the Quant and 600 for Verbal is just fine. It would be a waste of time and money to take it again and would probably look worse having taken it 4 times than the scores you've got. The General GRE is probably the least important aspect of your application and, in general, as long as your quant score is above 700 you shouldn't worry about it.