Have a poor GPA? Here are some words to cheer you up

InquilineKea

Have a poor GPA? Here are some words to cheer you up

Post by InquilineKea » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:06 am

Maybe? Anyways, I couldn't resist reposting these from the Grad Cafe forums (http://forum.thegradcafe.com/topic/2954-sub-30-gpas/). So here they are:
[*:21esys8v]You know you have under a 3.0 when someone asks you what your safety schools are and you stare back at them unsure of what those two words together might actually mean.
[*:21esys8v]You know you have under a 3.0 when you don't meet the minimum requirements for any of the programs you applied to.
[*:21esys8v]You know you have under a 3.0 when you can't take getting recommended for admission by the department for granted as getting approved by the graduate college can actually present a challenge.
[*:21esys8v]You know you have under a 3.0 when you describe your transcript as "colorful."
[*:21esys8v]You know you have under a 3.0 when, in a desperate search for safe schools, you catch yourself wondering if your local community college is a PhD granting institution. (You quickly realize that even if they were they wouldn't have funding for you anyways, thenyou remember they don't even grant four-year degrees.)
[*:21esys8v]You know you have under a 3.0 when you realize that as much as you'd like to stay in a certain geographic area, all those schools are too hard to get into and so you need to apply more broadly.
[*:21esys8v]You know you have under a 3.0 when your "what are you going to do now" fantasy simply consists of you walking around for an entire day uttering no words other than the phrase "I did it."
[*:21esys8v]You know you have under a 3.0 when you know for certain that all of your friends will know exactly what that means.
[*:21esys8v]You know you have under a 3.0 when you actually start to believe that any acceptance letters you receive are more likely to be mistakes than legitimate offers for admission.
[*:21esys8v]You know you have under a 3.0 when whenever you tell someone you got accepted somewhere their first words aren't "Congratulations" but "Really?"
[*:21esys8v]And how could we forget the classic: You know you have under a 3.0 when you wince every time someone online comforts another stressed out applicant by telling them "well at least your GPA is over a three so things won't be that bad."
Anyways, I'm well out of that danger zone now, but since I was in it not so long ago, I found it really funny.

TheBeast

Re: Have a poor GPA? Here are some words to cheer you up

Post by TheBeast » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:06 pm

InquilineKea wrote: [*:21esys8v]You know you have under a 3.0 when whenever you tell someone you got accepted somewhere their first words aren't "Congratulations" but "Really?"
My overall undergrad GPA is just above 3 and I've definitely gotten this one a few times. "No way" is another common response.