Info about transfer cases

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

sam100

Info about transfer cases

Post by sam100 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:52 am

Hi,

I have recently given GRE exam and unfortunately I got a very low score (650 + 300). I was planning to apply for the fall session (2007). But now I have decided to give the GRE exam again and apply for the spring semester. Many people are advising me to take admission to a (low rank) university on this low GRE score and after completing first semester, get transfers to a good university. In this way, I will not loose fall session. I want to know that

In general, what (good) universities look (to accept transfer). Do they look at GRE score or first semester GPA?

What are the chances that a (good) university will accept all or at least some courses of low rank university?

(I am applying for the MS program in Electrical Engineering in the US universities)

Thanks

Sam

ebgphy

Post by ebgphy » Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:33 pm

They will look at your gre scores, this does not change when you are a transfer student, also most univ. want at least one of your recommendation letter from your current univ., so you need to be successful and find rec. letters. Sometimes this can cause a problem I mean your new prof. can be unwilling to write you a letter since they don't want to lose their new students..

Peter

Post by Peter » Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:46 pm

Most good universities don't accept transfer students. You have to reapply next year.

Bob-El

Post by Bob-El » Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:48 am

Maybe someone else knows, I don't - does it really matter that much where an electrical engineer trains? I don't know, I'm closer to being a navel contemplator myself, but it seems to me that electrical engineers are people who work for a living and that it shouldn't matter as much as it would for a string theorist or someone else less everyday and practical. My guess as an outsider is that when you go out in the world and get a job, mainly it will matter if you are competent and well trained, and not so much that you went to a super high ranked program, though of course that helps. I would take the offer, come to America, and just do excellent work in my program and hope to stand out by completing extra training and winning fellowship money and having great grades. You will feel bad about taking a year out if you run the process again next year and you only do as well or worse than you did the first time.

The main thing I'd do if I were you is see how people who finish EE at this program do after graduating. If they do well, and if the program is somewhere you can be at least semi-happy and that provides better opportunities than you have now, I'd come to the U.S. It's a stepping stone. Many smart foreign students don't get their first choices.